Why can't we get any offensive commitments?

3? Also they are not major.

We missed out on a 5-star Offensive Linemen and a 5-star WR.

None of our commitments are in the Rival top 100.

You can stop using the "us" pronouns now.

In fact UT has 2 players in the current Rivals 100. Three more are in the top 250. You can count on Seldon being in their top 250 at some point.

But keep trolling.... you're too obvious.

This FFer out here exposing himself by following Rivals rankings...where Trey Smith is garbage, quitter Harrison Bailey is singlehandedly manufactured into a "5*" by one man who is a known pedo, and laughs at their own "paper 4 stars" for an entire class...when only THEY had them listed as 4 stars 😆😂😁😭😭😭

Fwiw Rivals is an embarrassment.
But Rivals says what he wants them to say... or at least they say things he can manipulate.

VolQuest

Umarov is a 3-star per Rivals.
Per Rivals... Cedric Tillman was a 2*. That's an interesting rating because it isn't just indifference. When a player gets recruited by a big school like UT and Rivals is like meh... they give them 3*. When they give a kid 2*... they're saying they looked at him and decided he wasn't talented.... that he belongs at a FCS school or lower.

Cedric Tillman, 2018 Wide Receiver - Rivals.com

Reactions: loggervol
Just lost O-lineman today. You would think with Nico and Heupel, we could land some of these guys. Doing great on defense though.

When are we going to land a good WR? We missed on Carnell Tate already and there isn't a major standout on the radar.
struggling

Why can't we get any offensive commitments?

redd-foxx-smh.gif

I am definitely happy with the pickups but to act like we got some rock star lands is not true. We missed out on our original targets.

We will see how it all goes on the field. Stars don't matter if they can't play on the field. All of you maybe correct and these pickups might be better than the prima donnas loved by Rivals, Scout, etc.

However, according to most experts, they were not on the level of Francis Maugoa or Cameron Tate.

I kept hearing all this hype on here a couple of months ago about how Sprye and Nico (through talking to other prospects) were going to help us land these top 5-star prospects. Now that we didn't do it, you guys are settling on attacking Rivals.

Go back and read the original posts about Sprye, etc. We were supposed to land all of the top prospects.

None of these offensive prospects come close to Nico in the rankings or are in the top Rivals 100 or possibly even 250. Historically, I think Rivals and Scout are the two best recruiting rankings.

I am definitely happy with the pickups but to act like we got some rock star lands is not true. We missed out on our original targets.

We will see how it all goes on the field. Stars don't matter if they can't play on the field. All of you maybe correct and these pickups might be better than the prima donnas loved by Rivals, Scout, etc.

However, according to most experts, they were not on the level of Francis Maugoa or Cameron Tate.

I kept hearing all this hype on here a couple of months ago about how Sprye and Nico (through talking to other prospects) were going to help us land these top 5-star prospects. Now that we didn't do it, you guys are settling on attacking Rivals.

Go back and read the original posts about Sprye, etc. We were supposed to land all of the top prospects.

None of these offensive prospects come close to Nico in the rankings or are in the top Rivals 100 or possibly even 250. Historically, I think Rivals and Scout are the two best recruiting rankings.

In the past week we have landed a 5* te for 24 class, we landed seldon who is the #24 overall player on 247, and we landed an ol player who is a 4* on multiple services who Georgia was pushing very hard for. That’s on top of the 5* qb and other 4* players we already had. We literally have the number 2 class in the sec right now. If you want to be the only guy who looks for our recruits lowest rankings and goes by that, Knock yourself out. Everyone else will continue to laugh at how the thread blew up in your face.

Last edited:
I'd love to see all those posts that say we're supposed to "land all of the top prospects." Could you provide the links, please?

Just the links, please. No explanations, just the links. Thanks!

I'd love to see all those posts that say we're supposed to "land all of the top prospects." Could you provide the links, please?

Just the links, please. No explanations, just the links. Thanks!

No mention of landing all top prospects in this post, but everything else is covered!

I'm not associated with Spyre in any way, but having paid attention the last couple of months, I can answer most of your questions. Here goes:

For every dollar that goes to Spyre, what percentage gets to players? What goes towards promotions and marketing? Does someone get paid to run Spyre? If so, how much do they make?

Spyre have said 90% of all contributions go to the athletes. The other 10% are for operating expenses of the collective. I'm sure that includes salaries for the folks who work there. How much they each make, that's kind of a personal question; don't think they'd tell you that.

What NIL opportunities does Spyre provide? Does a company contact Spyre and ask for merchandise/appearances?

Spyre is about providing opportunities to Vols fans who contribute to the cause, giving them the chance to meet our athletes and get merchandise (signed balls, jerseyes, etc.). The bigger your monthly contribution, the more often and more valuable the opportunities you will have as a fan, both socializing with the athletes and being given opportunities to buy signed gear and other merchandise.

As a contributor, do I receive anything other than helping the Vols?

Yes, see previous answer. More important, see Spyre's web site.

Is there a board than oversees how everything operates?

Don't know this one.

How are players contracted through Spyre - yearly contracts, pay for play, etc?

It's not pay for play; that would be against NCAA rules. The contracts are multi-year, with clauses that cover if the athlete ceases to be able to meet his performance requirements. Most specifically, each athlete's contract requires him to attend a certain number of fan-mingling, autograph-signing and other kinds of public events with Spyre contributors, but probably also non-public meetings, like maybe weekly operations meetings during the off-season, and Sunday merch-signing periods during the season. The athlete is not required to attend any particular university, but he will need to live in Knoxville to make all his work events. The contract does require him to be an active FBS football player.

What happens to a player that signs with Spyre but then goes to a different school? Either before enrolling or transferring at some point?

The player would no longer be able to make his work schedule events, in Knoxville, so he would be in breach of the contract. I'm sure there are detailed clauses laying out whether the player owes money back to Spyre, how immediately the contract's payouts stop, etc. Seems pretty likely it would be a major penalty for a player to breach the contract unilaterally.

Does Spyre work for all student athletes at UT, male and female, all sports?

I don't know this one for fact, but seriously doubt it. I think the AD could certainly ask Spyre to consider a particular athlete or group of athletes if they wanted, but Spyre is independent of the University. So Title IX does not apply. I would imagine Spyre is primarily focused on the $$ sports: football, men and women's basketball, and maybe baseball.

Do our athletes all receive a monthly base pay through Spyre, or is it only through contracts?

Only contracts. Each contract is a specific business relationship between Spyre and the athlete. There is no collective deal, at all.

If a player enters the portal, but doesn’t immediately unenroll or go somewhere else (like TooToo for a while there), when does the money stop? What if they withdraw from the portal and continue to compete for the Vols?

Good question, don't know.

~ ~ ~

Here's Spyre's web page. Spend 10-15 minutes browsing around it, and you'll see many of these answers for yourself, right from the horse's mouth. Homepage - Spyre Sports

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Pretty amazing class really. Especially when you consider the Vols haven't beaten a quality SEC program in a long time (no KY is not a quality program).
I assume you define "quality SEC program" to be these six: Bama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, A&M. And us, of course, when we're back.

That's about how I'd define it.

We beat Auburn four years ago, in '18, Georgia and Florida six years back, in '16, and Georgia in '15 as well.

So "long time" for you means three years or less.

Being an old coot, my "long time" is considerably longer than that. Decades. In my mind, we were just winning and competing for championships a short while back.

Yes, the Dark Ages have been painful. But they're coming to an end, brother. Just hang in there.

Go Vols!

Cam Seldon is superior to Carnell Tate.

I am happy to see the commits but they are lower versus what we are after. What proof? Go to a non-Tennessee sports message board and brag about these pickups.

They don't have the wait of Carnell Tate or Francis Mauigoa.

Don't get me wrong, I am very HAPPY.
The ”wait”? I take Seldon all day over Tate. Tate is good but he doesn’t have the speed or versatility of Seldon. And I sure as hell wouldn’t brag about spending 4 million on an OG.

No. UT missed out on two prospects that committed earlier than these two. Seldon... has as much "rock star" potential as Tate. Likely a lot more considering he's both bigger and faster.

We are Vol fans. So some of us fight bias... others don't fight it at all. That said, it isn't just people here. Umarov was down to two teams with UGA making a hard push for him. Three star or not... wouldn't you say it means a lot that the defending national championship coaching staff makes a kid a priority?

No. They do what they do. They're accurate much of the time and then whiff other times. They used to be the gold standard but 247 stole a lot of their people. I believe Rivals was part of a corporate purchase a few years back. They've gotten worse since. That's not news.

People aren't attacking them though. They're attacking your idiotic post... and now postS. You could have easily just said, "Man, that was a pretty stupid post. Sorry guys". Instead, you've tried to trash these two high priority recruiting targets in some vain attempt to prove you weren't WRONG.

Really? Who said that? What intelligent person on this forum said anything more than Spyre gave UT a chance to get ahead of the game. They did. But predictably similar organizations got up in operation around programs like OSU. Tate has been a OSU fan since he was a kid. They didn't have to beat UT in NIL. They just couldn't be insulting. UT did everything they could to win him. He obviously struggled with the decision and ultimately chose his "heart". That's only a failure if you think these kids are being drafted rather than recruited. It comes down to their choice... not UT's.

You've chosen Rivals because they say what you want them to say about UT's commits. Scout? Scout is now more or less defunct. See what I said about Rivals above. At one time they were essentially the only reliable recruiting site. 247 and now On3 appear to be doing a better job now.

Last edited:
Back to OP, how about asking the chancellor and AD why they won’t show more fortitude like LSU UNC or Memphis St w/ toothless NCAA and threaten or file lawsuit! This would change public perception for fans, coaches and players, plus serve notice to our enemies we are not takin’ sh*t from anyone! And BUCK FAMA and Sankey!

I assume you define "quality SEC program" to be these six: Bama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, A&M. And us, of course, when we're back.

That's about how I'd define it.

We beat Auburn four years ago, in '18, Georgia and Florida six years back, in '16, and Georgia in '15 as well.

So "long time" for you means three years or less.

Being an old coot, my "long time" is considerably longer than that. Decades. In my mind, we were just winning and competing for championships a short while back.

Yes, the Dark Ages have been painful. But they're coming to an end, brother. Just hang in there.

Go Vols!

Auburn in '18 was a borderline "quality" win. Name and history is good, but they had 5 losses that season if I'm not mistaken. Anybody that Cornbread beat couldn't have been much. But, yes, 4 years since a borderline quality win is a long time and not conducive to much recruiting success. Good on Heupel for recruiting above the success level of the last several years. That tells me this thing can explode with on field results.

I think a certain IMG coach had something to do with us not getting 2 five star players. JMO

Auburn in '18 was a borderline "quality" win. Name and history is good, but they had 5 losses that season if I'm not mistaken. Anybody that Cornbread beat couldn't have been much. But, yes, 4 years since a borderline quality win is a long time and not conducive to much recruiting success. Good on Heupel for recruiting above the success level of the last several years. That tells me this thing can explode with on field results.
Cornbread was a good Xs and Os coach and as long as he had the team buying in, he could win some quality games. The eight win run in his second season wasn’t a fluke. Where he failed was in his ability to lead and motivate, especially during adversity. Once COVID hit, the curtain was pulled aside and we saw the character flaws. Be thankful for that or we might have limped along a few more seasons waiting on Pruitt to finally “turn the corner” with six and seven win seasons. He didn’t have the people skills to sustain and build a culture. With Heup, we have the football knowledge combined with the leadership. THAT is what converts an average program into a contender

We missed out on a 5-star Offensive Linemen and a 5-star WR.
BTW, this isn't just sour grapes for me. When the Tate conversation just became hot... I said I was more impressed with Mizzell and Kasper than Tate. Tate is physical with good hands. He appears to be well coached and skilled. He didn't show break away speed or any great talent after the catch.

I've never said anything but that OL was the most difficult position for the recruiting sites to get right. Those kids almost never play anyone who truly challenges them in HS.

Reactions: volbound1700

VN Store

Back