Why can't UT recruit a top QB?

VolunteerHillbilly

Spike Drinks, Not Trees
I've heard the argument that no one would want to come to UT and play behind Crompton. Well guess what, 5* prosepct John Brantley just decommitted from Texas to go play beind Tebow at UF. I thought Cutcliffe was supposed to be a great draw for QBs based on his development of the Mannings. Someone rather astutely posted that winning in cfb is more dependent on QB play than any other single factor. So why can't UT get a highly rated QB commit? This is not a slam on BJ or Nick Stephens and, yeah, I'd freely admit that this is probably a "negative" post but I'm really pissed that this seems to be such a problem the past couple of years for the Vols compared to other SEC schools. For example:

Bama 4* Robert Marve 2007 class
Arky 5* Mitch Mustain 2006 class
Auburn 4* Neil Caudle 2006 class
Florida 5* John Brantley and 4* Cameron Newton 2007 class , 5* Tim Tebow 2006 class
UGA 4* Logan Gray 2007 class, 5* Matt Stafford 2006 class
LSU 4* Jarret Lee 2007 class
SC 4* Stephen Garcia 2007 class, 4* Chris Smelley 2006 class.

Some of these schools are just as well stocked at QB as the Vols so saying that QB just isn't an area of need this year is not much of a defense IMO.

Well . . . I know you said you didn't like the "we are stocked" excuse, but we do seem to have a glut at the QB position right now. Anybody that came in this year would be looking at probably 2-3 year wait.

all of the schools you listed need depth-exceptio - LSU and UGA. they have a need and as GAVol pointed out we seem to have our fair share.

I've heard the argument that no one would want to come to UT and play behind Crompton. Well guess what, 5* prosepct John Brantley just decommitted from Texas to go play beind Tebow at UF. I thought Cutcliffe was supposed to be a great draw for QBs based on his development of the Mannings. Someone rather astutely posted that winning in cfb is more dependent on QB play than any other single factor. So why can't UT get a highly rated QB commit? This is not a slam on BJ or Nick Stephens and, yeah, I'd freely admit that this is probably a "negative" post but I'm really pissed that this seems to be such a problem the past couple of years for the Vols compared to other SEC schools. For example:

Bama 4* Robert Marve 2007 class
Arky 5* Mitch Mustain 2006 class
Auburn 4* Neil Caudle 2006 class
Florida 5* John Brantley and 4* Cameron Newton 2007 class , 5* Tim Tebow 2006 class
UGA 4* Logan Gray 2007 class, 5* Matt Stafford 2006 class
LSU 4* Jarret Lee 2007 class
SC 4* Stephen Garcia 2007 class, 4* Chris Smelley 2006 class.

Some of these schools are just as well stocked at QB as the Vols so saying that QB just isn't an area of need this year is not much of a defense IMO.

Brantley's commitment to Florida had nothing really to do with depth or anything at the position it was strictly on location.

Brantley is a moron for going to UF. And wasn't Crompton a 4* when he was signed? Don't think this is the year that we would be pick up a high end recruit. The fact that Brantley signed with UF tells me he is either a young moron or Meyer has promised him shared playing time. My money is on young and dumb.

Honestly, looking at that list, I'm not sure any of those schools really have what you would consider to be an entrenched starter next year except LSU. Everybody assumes Tebow and Stafford will start, but neither has really proven anything over the long haul.

Crompton in 05 was a 4 star player...and the nation's #2 quarterback prospect.

Brent Schaeffer in 04 was a 4 star player...and the nation's #7 dual threat qb.

Erik Ainge in 04 was a 4 star player...and the nation's #11 qb prospect.

James Banks in 02 was a 5 star player...and the nation's #3 qb prospect.

Granted, in the past 2 recruiting classes (this class included), we haven't had an all-american qb commitment...I don't think it's a long-term trend though. I'd bet we get a top 10 qb next year.

we're pretty deep at QB right now with Ainge whos doing great, Crompton who played decent as a freshman, and I heard Nick Stephens is coming along great. Fulmer said Stephens has the best arm he's ever been around.

yeah. this thread makes no sense whatsoever. Crompton was a 5 star by Scout and was #3 in the nation behind Sanchez, Perrilloux. ColtMcCoy was a 4 star and the #14 ranked QB in the nation. high profile QB like perriloser and an instate prospect like Colt made a big difference for Texas.

now let's see what happens to Clausen (#1) and see if BJ Coleman (#17) makes himself a name in the SEC. Shoot. do we need a good qb? I think we just need someone to heave it in the air and let our WR corp. do the rest.

yeah. this thread makes no sense whatsoever. Crompton was a 5 star by Scout and was #3 in the nation behind Sanchez, Perrilloux. ColtMcCoy was a 4 star and the #14 ranked QB in the nation. high profile QB like perriloser and an instate prospect like Colt made a big difference for Texas.

now let's see what happens to Clausen (#1) and see if BJ Coleman (#17) makes himself a name in the SEC. Shoot. do we need a good qb? I think we just need someone to heave it in the air and let our WR corp. do the rest.

To clarify for those who do not read entire posts:

No All American QBs in this year or last while over half the SEC seems to get one at least every other year if not every year.

Personally, I'm not convinced that Crompton will be a great one based on what I saw in his two starts. Why not have someone else waiting in the wings?

i wouldnt trust scouts too much. if you want to believe the star ratings, at least go with the more credible source in Rivals

Good point, there are plenty of successful programs without an All-American QB. I thought the goal was win games and individual stuff came after that.

you just said "high profile"

you didnt mention all american anywhere.

..and JUST TO CLARIFY TO THOSE WHO DONT RESEARCH BEFORE THEY POST:

Johnathan Crompton:

Parade All-America ... Played in U.S. Army All-American Bowl, earning "Army of One" award ... In 2003 and 2004, 3A All-State, All-Western N.C. and All-Mountain Athletic and two-time player of the year. Threw for 2,011, 2,323 and 2,423 yards, respectively, in three high school years and added 22, 23 and 17 TDs ... Also played safety as senior with 147 tackles and three interceptions while punting for 44.6-yard average. Three-year All-Conference shortstop.

Erik Ainge:

2003 Oregon Gatorade Player of the Year ... PrepStar All-America ... Northwest Nugget (awarded to top six athletes in Northwest U.S.) and All-State as senior ... First-team All-Metro quarterback as both junior and senior ...

i watched quite a few Vols games this year, and i was impressed by the promise that crompton showed. he will be a great player ... he's young, but he showed well in my opinion.

i watched quite a few Vols games this year, and i was impressed by the promise that crompton showed. he will be a great player ... he's young, but he showed well in my opinion.

Yep Crompton, with i hope another year or two under Cutt's guidance will be a formidable qb!

Personally, I'm not convinced that Crompton will be a great one based on what I saw in his two starts. Why not have someone else waiting in the wings?
key word here, "two starts." give him some time. your not just going to come out in your first or second game and just stun the world by being the greatest qb ever. i'd put my money on this guy any day once you give him some starts to get in a rhythm.

To clarify for those who do not read entire posts:

No All American QBs in this year or last while over half the SEC seems to get one at least every other year if not every year.

Crompton was thrown into the fire. given all the circumstances, i'm not going to say he played great, but he didn't lose those two games either.

I'd much rather have a pocket passer...

...to go along with one of those uber hybrid backs like Reggie Bush or McFadden. maybe not on the same level because those guys are hard to touch, but it would be nice to have a do-it-all kinda guy.

With Snead going to Ole Miss, it makes our inability to land a bluechip QB even more glaring, that being said I have been converted to the Coleman bandwagon (although I just cant bring myself to refer to him as BJ).

VN Store

Back