Why all-in on Pruitt now???

I don't understand all the optimism you blokes have now. All of the sudden, Pruitt is definitely the right coach. The Vols are 2-5 this year with losses to BYU and Georgia St. Now coming off a blowout loss to an Alabama team without Tua for most of the game, the Vols have turned the corner?
Butch Jones had two 9-4 seasons and 3 bowl wins, and you jimmies wanted him fired the whole time he was here.

I think most of us came into this season with (at least a little) optimism that was crushed by the first two games of the season. To those of us who have been following the Vols for a few decades, the start of the season felt like Kiffen, Dooley, Butch and administration failures all over again. Hence, we were extremely discouraged with Pruitt.

Now, with all of that being said, as per your post:
1) That was not a blow out loss as you suggest. I know 22 points, yada yada. We were about to make it a one score game and were controlling the line of scrimmage on both sides midway thru the 4th qtr. This game was a lot closer than the final score suggests, because of the 14 point swing on the fumble.
2) Tua doesn't mean any more to Bama than Maurer does to UT, in my opinion. I could suggest that Maurer means more to UT because the talent at Bama should be able to cover for the loss of Tua against a lowly 2-4 UT. Both teams were without their starters.
3) They look like they've turned the corner to me, but they did last year after Auburn and KY. We'll know if they've turned the corner or not in a few weeks.
4) I can't speak for everyone, but I think most never wanted Butch hired in the first place, much less wanted him fired the whole time he was here. Again, when he was hired, it was more of the same administration bungling and bargain bin hires that fans were frustrated with.
5) Even when he went 9-4, he severely underachieved. Should've, could've won the east, and/or played in the Sugar Bowl.

OP, this is not meant as an argument or personal affront to you. Just answering your question(s) as best as I see the answers.

Reactions: Sara Clark
I wasn't "all out" before and I'm not "all in" now. I like that they seem to be improving. Very encouraged by the OL and DL. But he needs to win some games... and that unfortunately is going to come down to QB play.

Without Maurer... the talk of Shrout being neck and neck with him earlier better have been real.

Reactions: ksgovols
It's noteworthy because the Vols are doing it with 63 scholarship players. This team is operating very much like one that's been on probation for a couple of years. Anyone that's watching can see improvement in the last 2 games irregardless of what happened in the first 2 of the season. The team still could go 2-10, but I have seen game to game improvement starting with the Georgia game. Starting with the O-line and the defense. Fortunately the players don't give up as readily as the fanbase does.

Reactions: Sara Clark
Cause we realize a team with no talent keep up with one that has everybody. They played harder against Bama than Butch did his entire tenure.

In 2015 we had a lead with 5 min to go.

I’m proud of their fight this past weekend but reality is if Tua hadn’t gone out they most likely would have covered the 35pts... and yes, even if BM had stayed in.

To the OP, the jury is still out for me. There has been improvement but nothing that has made me speak in definitive statements.

I don't understand all the optimism you blokes have now. All of the sudden, Pruitt is definitely the right coach. The Vols are 2-5 this year with losses to BYU and Georgia St. Now coming off a blowout loss to an Alabama team without Tua for most of the game, the Vols have turned the corner?
Butch Jones had two 9-4 seasons and 3 bowl wins, and you jimmies wanted him fired the whole time he was here.

Did you at least discuss this with your wife before posting this thread?

He got the gift of legacy players and squandered all that talent. Like Pruitt, I didn't just give my faith and "buy in". Jones didn't inherit a good situation but he made it worse with his used car salesman schtick. The guy can't coach. He can't develop players. His recruiting was skewed by the legacy players and in-state guys who were all Orange regardless like Hurd and Barnett.

His two 9 win seasons were with teams that should have won 11 or 12 games. He didn't "build" anything. He got some good players early and when they were gone... UT was in a hole deeper than the one he inherited.

He underperformed the talent on the roster in each of his 5 years. He didn't build the roster but rode it.

I don't know if Pruitt will make it or not. I do know he's developing and building players. While Jones was a sideshow with cliches and trying to be "cool"... Pruitt is just a football coach. He's not flashy. He doesn't speak very well. But he loves to coach players. I can live with that for now.

Last edited:
because the team is improving... the coaching staff is improving... the players are fighting hard now (unlike the beginning of the season) and they care

we also saw him more fired up than ever this past saturday and if there was any doubt how bad he wants to beat Bama...that was it. He may he a bama guy... but his blood turned orange saturday imo

Tennessee was one competent QB away from being 8 points away From being tied with that red team.

8 points. 8.

That same “bad team” is undermanned. 65 scholarship players were that close to a full, loaded roster. With a healthy Maurer Tennessee is at worst tied maybe even leading. They have fed off his energy since he became the starter and played better. Both lines are finally coming along and playing better against tougher competition. When they could have laid down like those butch teams they stood up and held them on 4th down to close the game.

Hate on Pruitt all you want but if you can’t see that the team is taking on his mentality of toughness and continuing to fight until the very end there is no help for you. He is the right guy for Tennessee and who this team needs. He came to bat for his kids last night and that’s all some wanted to see.

Dobbs made Jones. Prove me wrong

Great scott........ you have to be kidding with that logic. Maurer was injured, but SO WAS TUA. And one thing I have learned in my sporting life, it doesn't matter if it's cricket, soccer, or NCAA football, when it is a rivalry game, you can throw the records out the window. It is going to be close. And it was for a while. Granted, I was gobsmacked by that fumble at the goal line that Alabama ran back for the touchdown. But, you could almost feel that nothing good was going to happen once it was 3rd and goal anyway.
I hope the best for Pruitt, don't want to see anyone fail. But I cannot feel bloody chuffed about a 35-13 loss

I hope beyond hope Pruitt is the guy, he's earned my skepticism and he has to do more than what he did Sat night to eliminate it. I see improvement and I see some positive signs that things are heading in the right direction. He has to start winning games on the regular before I'm buying in.
If, and it's a big if, the team can continue to improve the wins will come. The process is more important than the wins, right now. But that changes very soon.

Guys, don’t you realize you’re out classed? I mean the OP has a NCAA discussion group that meets at Applebee’s for goodness sake. We got a guy in another thread that used to play QB in middle school or something.

How can you argue with that kind of expertise? Just give up already.

Granted, I haven't lived in the states long enough to see the Vols during their best years under Fulmer. However, Mississippi St. is one of the worst teams in the SEC. And Alabama was playing very conservative with their backup QB. I was hoping for a Tennessee win for sure, but you have to watch the game of football objectively chap.
As far as being on the wrong board, my wife and I have intently studied NCAA football since moving to the US, we have a thriving couples NCAA football discussion group that meets at Applebee's each Monday night during the season. We welcome you to come tonight to the Applebee's in Oak Ridge. Discussion will be welcomed and the Blue Moon will be flowing.
Lol. Yeah save me a seat.

Butch went 9-4 with talent that should have easily been 10-3, 11-2, or better. Two teams that had no business not winning the EAST. Those team were full of studs and nobody in the history of football mismanaged or didn't develop the talent he had. First couple recruiting classes he could pitch early playing time.. etc. Later in recruiting he wasn't pulling the same caliber of talent bc it was obvious on the field the product was never gonna be great with him as head coach. By the time Butch left not only had he totally wrecked the roster/and options we had left at some positions but the coaching staff had even totally downgraded. Awful hires and production from them and total down spiral by the time he left.

Fast forward to Pruitt and I think as he is learning to be a better HC it's clear as day the man is schematically/fundamentally an excellent coach. It's also clear he is able to recognize talent in recruiting and what its gonna take to get the program competing at the highest level. We seriously had 2 freshmen as our starting inside LB's in the 2nd half of a competitive game in Tuscaloosa. How can you not be a little encouraged for the future? We still have a ways to go but Pruitt is slowly and continually progressing with this team. My fear is next year we get decent Qb play finally but no stud/experienced WR's to throw to with Jennings/Callaway gone. Anyways kudos to the fight and performance from these kids and coaching staff past few weeks.

13 losses in a row to Alabama. USCe is another loss. Missouri nuff said. Pruitt loses another game by 20 +. Now hes the guy. Tenn would go forward 10 steps then 20 steps back. Maurer is made of paper and glass. He cant last being consussed every week. JG is a complete waste so another year under 500 and no bowl game. Yess hes our guy. Oklahoma next year!!?? Florida Alabama? Not even close

Cause we realize a team with no talent keep up with one that has everybody. They played harder against Bama than Butch did his entire tenure.
UT is loaded with talent. Just look at the recent recruiting classes. Compare those classes to UF where the roster was not as strong when Mullin took over a 4-8 team.

Great scott........ you have to be kidding with that logic. Maurer was injured, but SO WAS TUA. And one thing I have learned in my sporting life, it doesn't matter if it's cricket, soccer, or NCAA football, when it is a rivalry game, you can throw the records out the window. It is going to be close. And it was for a while. Granted, I was gobsmacked by that fumble at the goal line that Alabama ran back for the touchdown. But, you could almost feel that nothing good was going to happen once it was 3rd and goal anyway.
I hope the best for Pruitt, don't want to see anyone fail. But I cannot feel bloody chuffed about a 35-13 loss

That’s the first time it’s been close in years
Your simply hating on Pruitt because you want him to fail so Tennessee can hire X and start over

Granted, I haven't lived in the states long enough to see the Vols during their best years under Fulmer. However, Mississippi St. is one of the worst teams in the SEC. And Alabama was playing very conservative with their backup QB. I was hoping for a Tennessee win for sure, but you have to watch the game of football objectively chap.
As far as being on the wrong board, my wife and I have intently studied NCAA football since moving to the US, we have a thriving couples NCAA football discussion group that meets at Applebee's each Monday night during the season. We welcome you to come tonight to the Applebee's in Oak Ridge. Discussion will be welcomed and the Blue Moon will be flowing.
This sounds awful. You need to find a hobby bro. Lol!

13 losses in a row to Alabama. USCe is another loss. Missouri nuff said. Pruitt loses another game by 20 +. Now hes the guy. Tenn would go forward 10 steps then 20 steps back. Maurer is made of paper and glass. He cant last being consussed every week. JG is a complete waste so another year under 500 and no bowl game. Yess hes our guy. Oklahoma next year!!?? Florida Alabama? Not even close

Missouri just lost to Vandy.. nuff said.

Wrong they played just as hard or harder for Butch in 2015 and only lost by 5. Bama had to drive 80 yards with 5 minutes to win the game.

Reactions: I40flyer

VN Store

Back