Who would you say are Tennessee Best Defensive Players Ever?

Janzen Jackson

May have been a short lived stint, but when he was on the field, it was electric. I always felt like he was the perfect combo of Leonard Little’s aggression and Eric Berry’s football acumen. I was wrong. He was much more Little than Berry, but nonetheless, he was very exciting to watch.

Also enjoyed watching AJ Johnson for a hot second
Before he got himself in trouble.

I guess these guys are on the “greatest defensive players that could have been” list.

Also, Curt Maggitt was a beast before he got hurt. I believe he wouldve been one of the greats here had he not been injured. He was still a solid player post-injury but he didn't have the motor that he had when he first got here.

Last edited:
Reggie White
Eric Berry
Derek Barnett
Al Wilson
Leonard Little
Jerod Mayo
Doug Atkins
Dale Jones
John Henderson
Kevin Simon
Inky Johnson
Jack Reynolds
Dale Carter
Chuck Smith
Bill Bates
Malik Jackson
Dwayne Goodrich
Jesse Mahelona
Robert Ayers
Dan Williams
Justin Harrel
You could add Kiner and Steve Delong but otherwise a good list. Glad to see Bill Bates from Farragut High School…when FHS was out in the countryside.

Reactions: Brave Volunteer
My top 10. Probably Atkins and Berry are the top 2.

Atkins
Berry
Kiner
J Walker
White
Wilson
Barnett
Little
Carter
Henderson

Honorable mention:
S Delong
Bobby Majors
Spiva
Grant
D Jones
James
Reynolds
C Smith
AJ Johnson
Mayo

Last edited:
dont Forget the two way players of the past

go look at the countdown thread

If your list doesn't have Doug Atkins! Please go sit in a corner! Gbo!
I once read an article about Doug's career in the NFL. One assessment stated that NO team would run in his direction so most of his tackles were made either by sacking the QB or by chasing down the ball carrier from the backside. It was stated most get their tackles (especially DL) because other teams run at them but for the greats like DA the amount of tackles would increase by 50% had teams run in their direction. And a triple team was often used against DA.

A lot of you guys are young, at least compared to me. That’s not a criticism, but you missed an earlier era of Vol football.

Janzen Jackson

May have been a short lived stint, but when he was on the field, it was electric. I always felt like he was the perfect combo of Leonard Little’s aggression and Eric Berry’s football acumen. I was wrong. He was much more Little than Berry, but nonetheless, he was very exciting to watch.

Also enjoyed watching AJ Johnson for a hot second
Before he got himself in trouble.

I guess these guys are on the “greatest defensive players that could have been” list.
If I remember correctly it was against Florida he laid the wood to a boy and nearly killed him. One of the hardest hits I’ve ever seen. Shame what went down with him.

Let's not forget Raynoch and Kevin Burnett. Those guys were fantastic. I also really appreciated Overstreet. Fred White and Grant were our best ever safety duo. Jabari Greer.

Never seeked the limelight and got little media coverage so I'm going to include steady Eddie Moore! Had the respect of his teammates and every Coach he played for. Someone mentioned a hit on a Fl. player ask Kevin Kight what's the hardest he had ever been hit.

Reactions: volmanwayback
Reggie White Dale Carter Dale Jones Greg Puki John Henderson Albert Haynesworth Leonard Little , Jimmy Noonsn, these just come to mind I know I’m missing a ton.
Not even close Doug Atkins. He was a force of nature. One of a handful of players who could have played in the NFL today. I had the pleasure of meeting him on two different occasions. I am a fairly large man and very few people I have ever met make me feel small. Doug Atkins is one of those guys.We we’re talking about sacks and I ask him how many he had. He told me that they didn’t keep sacks as a statistic when he played . He then told me he had games that he tackled the qb eight or nine times in a game. That’s crazy to me.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back