Who will be our ball handler? (if Bone leaves?)

I don’t disagree I’m just saying he’s not an immediate contributor so it really hurts not to have some immediate backfills should bone and Williams go
Gotcha and agree, that's why I threw in that his lack of strength could limit him next year

We have the same issue UT has always had since i can remember. We are always short on 1's and 5's We seem to recruit nothing but wings and tweeners 2/3 and 3/4 guys.

There are some very good Juco point guards available and possibly Grad transfers so certainly a long way to go until next years roster is finalized. If Bone follows through we still have Grant's decision and a lot of talking heads on different sites say at least two present roster guys want be with us next season. So if Bone and Grant leave and two other guys move on we could have as many as four new faces on the roster next season. I am sure one would be a point guard and certainly would look for a center and other inside players.

Gaines is going to be a damn good player, just needs to get stronger, which may limit him next year
Haven't seen him lately but his coach made the statement that he's been working hard in the weight room and will be ready strength wise to play next season. Hoping.

Hurts having to take Gaines and Pember knowing we could use some immediate production should so many upperclassmen leave

Exactly. In an ideal world, every kid would stay all 4 years, get a degree then move on to the NBA if they're good enough. That's not the reality though. Kids leave early or transfer and you're up a creek for a year or two while your "projects" develop. I don't see how you can take a couple of kids every year who need 2-3 years before they're "ready". You get hit like we appear to be experiencing with Grant and Bone going bye bye with Schofield and Alexander....where do you turn? You've essentially got a class of 1 coming in with James.

It's hard to imagine losing those 4 guys and replacing them with James, Walker, Burns and Fulkerson. There will be a drop off...a big one. I guess we can always point to 2021? But we'll likely be seeing James moving on if he's as good as advertised. Feels like being a rat on a wheel. Running but never getting anywhere.

Exactly. In an ideal world, every kid would stay all 4 years, get a degree then move on to the NBA if they're good enough. That's not the reality though. Kids leave early or transfer and you're up a creek for a year or two while your "projects" develop. I don't see how you can take a couple of kids every year who need 2-3 years before they're "ready". You get hit like we appear to be experiencing with Grant and Bone going bye bye with Schofield and Alexander....where do you turn? You've essentially got a class of 1 coming in with James.

It's hard to imagine losing those 4 guys and replacing them with James, Walker, Burns and Fulkerson. There will be a drop off...a big one. I guess we can always point to 2021? But we'll likely be seeing James moving on if he's as good as advertised. Feels like being a rat on a wheel. Running but never getting anywhere.
Would be an unfortunate way for James to spend a year here.... playing in the NIT

Would be an unfortunate way for James to spend a year here.... playing in the NIT

Hey, Gaines, Pember, Walker and Fulkerson might be great players and he'll want to hang around and reap the fruits of their development over the next season or two. Then again....

If Bone leaves they will go after a grad transfer. I don’t see him leaving, as he’s not projected. Too many dynamic guards out there. Bones going to have to push a lot harder next year if he wants to be drafted. He backs off drives to easy and his shot needs a lot of work. Very flat.

Reactions: Stoked
Josiah James is a point guard.

He may not be as quick as Bone but the kid gets buckets.

We’ll be in good shape with him and Turner running the point.

We have the same issue UT has always had since i can remember. We are always short on 1's and 5's We seem to recruit nothing but wings and tweeners 2/3 and 3/4 guys.

VN Store

Back