Who Were Our Best TEs?

Congrats to Wolf.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/t...r-tennessee-te-ethan-wolf-lands-nfl-contract/

That said, this article states, “In 2017, Wolf passed Jason Witten for fourth-most receiving yards by a tight end in program history with a 28-yard touchdown catch at Florida.”

I had NO idea that was the case. I thought Witten was our best all-time TE. I don’t guess yards are everything, as I think I remember Wolf struggling to block well.

Regardless, does anyone know without Google while our most productive lTEs were?

Best TE ever at Tennessee: Jalen Hurd!

Reactions: vegasvolfan
I remember a TE from the mid 1990's named Dustin Moore. I seem to remember he played about 2 years and then was dismissed from the team. I remember thinking he was one of the fastest TE's I had ever seen.
He was recruited as a running back but grew into a TE. He was as good as any TE I have seen at Tennessee since 1945.

Witten never really out talented anyone, he seemed to just outwork everyone. He was always in the right spot for a much needed 10 yard completion for a first down.
being in the right spot most of time and outworked everyone is the very reason he out talented almost everyone in his position.

Reactions: vegasvolfan
Didn’t Witten only play TE for 2 seasons? I was thinking he was a DE his first year, then went pro after his junior year

OK now I am seeing who is right. Wow so many names. I started with researching Witten. He actually only played 3 games his sophomore season and his junior seasons to reach 3rd (now 4th) on Tennessee’s all-time list. I will be surprised if I come across anything like that in my research!

Last edited:
In no particular order (that I would say are better)

Witten around 780 in 1.25 years
Rivera 1010 in 3 years He had a 580 yard senior season, but Witten probably would have.
Stocker 980 in 4 years
Cottam are you referring to Jeff? He only had 60 yards receiving over 2 years?

Witten of course.
Rivera
Hal Wantland from 63-65 av 14 ypc
Buddy Cruze from 54-56 a 18.1 ypc
Austin Denney from 65-66 av 13.4 ypc
I like the ypc metric if they caught a fair amount of passes. Witten only averaged 12.64 yards but caught 39 yards in his only full year. Rivera averaged 15.61 ypc on 36 yards. He only played in 10 games that year. He may be our best all-time. He had almost as many yards as Reggie Harper in three seasons vs Reggie’s 4. I can’t find number of passes for the older guys.

Last edited:
Witten, was there anyone else?
I agree ..we had good te that played thru the yrs ..but then there was witten .he was best all around te ..he did so many things even if he didnt have the ball..witten couldve played def end and still went pro he was as good at de as te

VN Store

Back