Who Were Our Best TEs?

vegasvolfan

Marketing Professional With 25 Years of Experience
Congrats to Wolf.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/t...r-tennessee-te-ethan-wolf-lands-nfl-contract/

That said, this article states, “In 2017, Wolf passed Jason Witten for fourth-most receiving yards by a tight end in program history with a 28-yard touchdown catch at Florida.”

I had NO idea that was the case. I thought Witten was our best all-time TE. I don’t guess yards are everything, as I think I remember Wolf struggling to block well.

Regardless, does anyone know without Google while our most productive lTEs were?

I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but I'm fairly certain that Mychael Rivera holds all the tight end receiving records. Witten is absolutely the best in school history. Everyone knew he was special at the time, and his NFL career further illustrates that. Our offense just used the position primarily as an extension of the offensive line at the time, so we didn't see anyone with noteworthy numbers until Rivera.

Reactions: vegasvolfan
Witten never really out talented anyone, he seemed to just outwork everyone. He was always in the right spot for a much needed 10 yard completion for a first down.

Wolf and Rivera are the ones from recent memory who we threw to a lot. Reggie Harper from the late-70s is still the all-time stats leader. He passed away a few years ago at a too-young age.

Dustin Moore definitely had the talent to put himself on the short list of best ever, if he could have just stayed out of trouble -- especially with Peyton throwing the ball to him.

I remember a TE from the mid 1990's named Dustin Moore. I seem to remember he played about 2 years and then was dismissed from the team. I remember thinking he was one of the fastest TE's I had ever seen.
Watched Dustin race a couple of our wr at the time and he was every bit as fast. He just enjoyed other activities a little bit more than football and school. Think he ran the only TE reverse I've ever seen at UT.

In terms of tangible talent Dominic Wood-Anderson may be the most talented we’ve ever had. That doesn’t always equate to productivity. But physically he is very impressive.

True. Though I don't know why but when I think of him I always think of his fumble against KY in 2009. That darn near cost us that game!

You could call out a handful of guys for fumbles that nearly cost us or did cost us the game. Luke worked hard and did his job the right way and I never really felt like he got the recognition until he left and went to Tampa

In terms of tangible talent Dominic Wood-Anderson may be the most talented we’ve ever had. That doesn’t always equate to productivity. But physically he is very impressive.

Give it a little time to marinate. If he can’t get it together under Chaney then we’ll yall know the rest. The man checks all the physical boxes though

Reactions: orangelo
How many times during big games is the TE standing in the middle of the Defense with no one within 5-10 yards? I know it’s happened a few times against Fl and Georgia over the years. They don’t respect the position because we don’t use it enough. We haven’t had athletic freaks at the position but we damn sure did them an injustice

You could call out a handful of guys for fumbles that nearly cost us or did cost us the game. Luke worked hard and did his job the right way and I never really felt like he got the recognition until he left and went to Tampa

He was a physical specimen but for whatever reason he just wasn't utilized as much as he could've been when he as at UT.

I remember a TE from the mid 1990's named Dustin Moore. I seem to remember he played about 2 years and then was dismissed from the team. I remember thinking he was one of the fastest TE's I had ever seen.

Played HS ball at Greenville. I think he was state AA or AAA player of the year. Was basically a RB with blazing speed and size for a high school player at that time. Unbelieveable athlete. Converted to TE at UT and I believe had some issues with "something" he couldn't quit at the time. I hated he didn't make it because he could have been a great one.

VN Store

Back