Who was a pleasant surprise for you?

Not necessarily a surprise, but Alontae Taylor was all over the place. And his block at the goal line on the Henry T pick six was selfless.
My surprise was the fact that the people upstairs didn’t feel the need to take Henry’s TD away because of his toe so close to the sideline on his last step. I guess the SEC didn’t care who won last night. He can’t step that close against Alabama though.

Not necessarily a surprise, but Alontae Taylor was all over the place. And his block at the goal line on the Henry T pick six was selfless.
Good call, he was arguably our best defensive player last night. I don't recall a single pass completion to who he was checking and don't remember seeing him miss any tackles. The 2 blocks on big Hanks return were awesome and reminded me of Sunshine leading the way on the final play in the movie Remember the Titans!

The WRs, ILB next to Henry, and our pass rush. Those were my 3 biggest worries going into the season. After game 1 I'm feeling much better about all 3. Plenty of room to get better and I realized this is only 1 game.

BJ, Palmer, Keyton was open throughout the game with only 1 drop pass (big drop tho). VJ looked good as well.

Crouch didn't have his best game but Banks was very active and impressed me last night. Obviously can't have those personal fouls penalties but I think we may be in good hands with both young guys beside Henry T.

DJ had the game of his life and Bennett had multiple pressures. If we can consistently rush the passer our defense will be really good. The secondary will be better once we get everybody back, no worries at this point. LBs have to be better in coverage but we need to make sure we don't get caught with OLBs matched up with WRs.

Reactions: memtownvol and Remy
I was pleasantly surprised by JG’s running ability. This is something he was touted for coming out of HS. Also very impressed with the amount of time JG had to throw the ball. He needs to work of his mechanics so that he doesn’t over throw those wide open receivers though.
Our D-line was surprisingly better than I expected. Also without Darel Middleton too. Need to shore up our edge contain but overall we were able to effect the QB on several throws.

Had some good moments. Also saw him get burned by Shi Smith numerous times, but that’s expected of a true freshman especially on a year like this.
I did not know of Shi Smith until last night but he is a stud!! If he would shut his mouth he would be better. A lot of people will be burned by him on a nightly basis!

For me, Velus Jones Jr. What a dynamic player!

The tandem of B. Johnson and J. Palmer — both +70 yard games on a game where JG threw 11-12 terribble passes... as well as D. Johnson, 2.5 sacks on the night, six tackles and a forced fumble.

Last edited:
Reactions: mickey1969
Keyton, Velus Jones, both looked great on offense, I was not expecting that. Elijah Simmons played well when he was in, fell on that fumble and then rolled on his side and their OL took it away from him. Bet he never makes that mistake again.

I was most pleasantly surprised with Ty Chandler.

Chandler had a great game verse BYU in 2019 even though his stats were a result of team effort as much as it was his individual playmaking. BYU just couldn't stop the TE-motion off tackle play we ran 25 times.
After that BYU game, it seemed Chandler never had that 1st step burst & straight line top end speed like he showed in 2018. Wasn't he playing on a gimp ankle most of last year's back half of the schedule?

I was slightly worried he wouldn't be back 100% to his 2018 form.

If I could only take 1 of our RB's I'd take Gray but Ty Chandler having his first step burst & top end speed fully back isn't far behind.....

Chandler's setting a great example of x&o fundamentals getting results so far.

VN Store

Back