Who the H*** Handles Our PR ???

Bull, I bet they are all in his job description, and with Title TX it is important to limit losses in all womens sports. We are not pushing for the all sports trophy yet, but we are gaining ground. BB needs upgrades in facilities for sure. COVID hit his best class wrong. Still hopeful. Ladies swimming just got a title, Soccer had a much better year, though bowed out of SEC too early. Lots of good trends. LIKE IT OR NOT.

So in the absence of a response on the rest of the sports I will take it trends are up everywhere.

Nope, as usual, you are wrong. He has 24 duties and 1 has to do with athletic excellence. Most relate to compliance with rules, financial standards, PR, and staffing/organization. We have a NCAA investigation, weakening financial trends (pre COVID), a coaching situation that is a laughingstock, and a laughably bad hire.

His contract states he is supposed to "perform his duties in a manner similar to other similar D1 universities." Extending his most important hire after a GSU loss with a 13-12 isn't that duty. You don't extend coaches with no leverage with results like that during a pandemic. Having no offset provisions is just the cherry on top. Fulmer was put in a tough spot with the original hire but he has doubled down on that mistake.

A CEO can be in charge of a company that has a good mail room but if he hires an incompetent CFO that is accused of fraud, the CEO usually loses his job. This isn't to belittle the Olympic sports but ultimately Fulmer will be judged on compliance and finances and the finances are driven by 1 or 2 sports.

We've been calling for Pruitt to be fired since the ky game, have they listened? Some have been demanding Freeze be hired, have they done that? They're not gonna do what we feel.

Of course they don't fire and hire at the fans every whim. But you're very wrong if don't think they want to get the pulse of the fan base

only one hiring decision matters as the A.D. of the University. The football team brings in the revenue that pays for every one of those other sports. And he went out and hired a guy that had never been a head coach before that was defense 1st/old-school mentality. Fulmer specifically stated he wanted to hire a defensive coach. Does that one statement not show you how incredibly out of touch he is with this game? The game today is all about offense. Instead of hiring an exciting offense of player he went out and hired a guy that sounds like he lives in a holler and has never owned a pair of shoes then he went and gave that gave an extension/buyout that is larger than a huge number of highly established coaches. Oh yea...and that buyout isn’t offset by other earnings which might make it one of the 5 largest buyouts in all of cfb. So ya...he had 1 job and I can’t fathom how he could’ve done a worse job. I can’t wait to read that his fat butt is fine for good.

Granted FB is the bell cow, the straw that stirs the drink, yada yada..... but Currie had perpetuated the STUPID plan of hiring classless guys that leave you after one year and very late in the process, or worse firing the existing coach before you had a winning fish on the hook. So he fired BUTCH who we are still paying for through this month, danced around very publicly with some guys that were just using UT for leverage, and then late late tried to sneak off and hire the guy that just embarrassed MSU and the rest of SEC last week. Thank God we did not hire the Pirate. That plan got him fired as it should have, and the call went out to CPF to use his good name to regain as much positive press as possible and end the search. Pruitt had proved himself as a DC at three of the premiere programs in the South, presented a staffing and recruiting plan that beat out Steele and Tucker and was given the job. Does not appear to be his cup of tea. GOT IT. Everybody GOT IT... But with ALL the buyouts, and the limited REVENUE in the year of COVID, there is not a candidate worth the out of pocket expense to pull it off when our pockets are as limited as they have been in years. Are there OTHER candidates? YEP. Would they project to be press conference wins, some of them, But EVIDENTLY they have not impressed ANY of the money guys enough to open their wallets in a way that would be required THIS YEAR. A year of INCREASED revenue, with most of a year without paying buyouts and HOPEFULLY some real day one winners added to the market then the money guys might get off their wallets. But fire the current guy and force them into the current market and their generosity is impacted. When they have a guy our chances to compete go way up. Nobody I have seen on any list to date is what I call BETTER ENOUGH to get enough money to pull it off. Better does not mean GOOD ENOUGH. Compounding this issue is the unknown of what do the new transfer rules and trends do to a roster. It is apparent that fan bases are not going to give the next guy a free pass either. So projecting to improve the Jimmy's and Joe's is more important than ever before. Can inbound transfers fix things? No history to fall back on. Just not the time to make a discretionary change. Forced by investigation is scary too, if it impacts the new guys recruiting numbers... Like it or not the best plan financially is for the current guy to start next season. If the trend stays, start the process early. But that did not produce blockbuster hires at Vandy and SC... Late start for AU did not blow up the charts either... Maybe if you can get the YellaWood guy to switch to be a VOL maybe..... if he has any money left after dumping Gus...

Nope, as usual, you are wrong. He has 24 duties and 1 has to do with athletic excellence. Most relate to compliance with rules, financial standards, PR, and staffing/organization. We have a NCAA investigation, weakening financial trends (pre COVID), a coaching situation that is a laughingstock, and a laughably bad hire.

His contract states he is supposed to "perform his duties in a manner similar to other similar D1 universities." Extending his most important hire after a GSU loss with a 13-12 isn't that duty. You don't extend coaches with no leverage with results like that during a pandemic. Having no offset provisions is just the cherry on top. Fulmer was put in a tough spot with the original hire but he has doubled down on that mistake.

A CEO can be in charge of a company that has a good mail room but if he hires an incompetent CFO that is accused of fraud, the CEO usually loses his job. This isn't to belittle the Olympic sports but ultimately Fulmer will be judged on compliance and finances and the finances are driven by 1 or 2 sports.

I will agree that CPF's boss would look down on Freeze as a candidate cause he is more than accused. But Pruitt is not accused of anything that I know of yet and a position coach or two are not CFO level in your analogy. But everything is too vague to know where the responsibility will fall. I doubt his bosses will consider the extension to be worthy of the risk of firing a favorite son, with his history as president of coaches organization, and his HOF status. Neither of us really know that. We also do not know how if all the powers above him place so little value on all the other sports that are featured on the official website. I doubt that is the case... once again we can both only guess unless you have some statements from above. I think that he has restored some of the respect to his office that we have not had since Dickey. His bosses have a better idea as do the money guys and if I am right he will be here for the next hire, this year or next. Nobody thinks he is perfect.

I will agree that CPF's boss would look down on Freeze as a candidate cause he is more than accused. But Pruitt is not accused of anything that I know of yet and a position coach or two are not CFO level in your analogy. But everything is too vague to know where the responsibility will fall. I doubt his bosses will consider the extension to be worthy of the risk of firing a favorite son, with his history as president of coaches organization, and his HOF status. Neither of us really know that. We also do not know how if all the powers above him place so little value on all the other sports that are featured on the official website. I doubt that is the case... once again we can both only guess unless you have some statements from above. I think that he has restored some of the respect to his office that we have not had since Dickey. His bosses have a better idea as do the money guys and if I am right he will be here for the next hire, this year or next. Nobody thinks he is perfect.

At the end of the day, football is what drives the engine here. You hire the right football coach and you can be bad at everything else and no one will care since you are rolling in the one thing University administrators love: $$$$. Right now, all of Fulmer's accomplishments everywhere else is more than negated by our ClusterF football program.

In the list of modern SEC ADs, Mal Moore is very high on the list. It's not because of his basketball hires or his Olympic sports hires. He survived probation, Dubose, Frachione, Mike Price and Shula. Moore is only considered a very good AD because Rich Rod turned him down and he hired Nick Saban.

Reactions: GUNTERSVOL
Honestly. Who handles our public relations? Anyone? Where are they? I get the administration is a joke year-after-year-after-year. But isn't someone advising them on how to handle the media? Once again we look like fools. Make a statement. Make a plan. Something!

Have you ever watched Columbo? If any of the folks he was after would have just kept quiet then they might have gotten away.

PR? Dude, we fired our superstar PR guru about 3 years ago bc y'all were mad that he couldn't coach football. Now, you wanna complain @ PR falling off!

Reactions: Boca Vol
PR? Dude, we fired our superstar PR guru about 3 years ago bc y'all were mad that he couldn't coach football. Now, you wanna complain @ PR falling off!

LULZ! I loved listening to the press conference when Butch said Tuttle tripped over a helmet! AWESOME!

Reactions: livefaith
Which one makes money?

I hope he pays you well to defend his crap

I am not defending CPF. BUT I am tired of the MONOLITHIC argument that his whole job is to be judged on one emergency hire. The departments OVERALL performance is out there to see, I bet his bosses view it all. It will be weighted, but not a single item review.

We have no idea what responses to hypothetical questions he has shared with the power team. We have no idea what the legal folks have shared with all of them. They do not report to CPF. They give him reports. Nobody can make offers till there is an answer to the buyout questions. Just that simple. I hate Pruitt agenda driven CPF analysis is what it is. So are plotted trajectory lines of each sport on the charts. Just revenue is not valid when you cannot open the doors. Have not seen them myself but UT website has lots of good stuff.

Honestly. Who handles our public relations? Anyone? Where are they? I get the administration is a joke year-after-year-after-year. But isn't someone advising them on how to handle the media? Once again we look like fools. Make a statement. Make a plan. Something!

1610475547857.gif

At the end of the day, football is what drives the engine here. You hire the right football coach and you can be bad at everything else and no one will care since you are rolling in the one thing University administrators love: $$$$. Right now, all of Fulmer's accomplishments everywhere else is more than negated by our ClusterF football program.

In the list of modern SEC ADs, Mal Moore is very high on the list. It's not because of his basketball hires or his Olympic sports hires. He survived probation, Dubose, Frachione, Mike Price and Shula. Moore is only considered a very good AD because Rich Rod turned him down and he hired Nick Saban.

Anybody that thinks CPF's job is in question cannot possibly be talking about the hiring of any coach till that comes to pass. They are not going hire a coach and then introduce him to his new boss any time soon. Heck, based on the Mal Moore model CPF gets lots of more chances to hire a FB coach. I don't think rational folks in charge buy into the nothing else counts but the Pruitt hire. Have to see that in writing. After the Hamilton, Hart, Currie fiascos I don't see powers not liking our overall direction in the department.

Anybody that thinks CPF's job is in question cannot possibly be talking about the hiring of any coach till that comes to pass. They are not going hire a coach and then introduce him to his new boss any time soon. Heck, based on the Mal Moore model CPF gets lots of more chances to hire a FB coach. I don't think rational folks in charge buy into the nothing else counts but the Pruitt hire. Have to see that in writing. After the Hamilton, Hart, Currie fiascos I don't see powers not liking our overall direction in the department.

It's not just the Pruitt hire, it's the extension to a coach with absolutely no leverage. It's one thing to make a bad hire, it's another to tie your hands by doubling down on it for absolutely no reason. Pruitt had absolutely no leverage with a 13-12 record in a pandemic coming off the GSU fiasco. While I don't think Fulmer cast a wide enough net in 2017, he does deserve a partial pass for that hire given the spot he was put in. What he does not deserve a pass for is extending Holly another season and extending Pruitt for 2 more seasons, and some of the terms in Pruitt's contract. Of our big "3" sports, he had made bad decisions for 2 of them.

It's in writing. Look at his contract. The duties are mostly comprised of $$$$ items (which is primarily related to football), PR (which is primarily related to football), compliance with the rules (which the football program is currently being investigated for). In a perfect world, the AD and the administration care equally about all sports but with this much $$$$ involved, they care about that.

It's not just the Pruitt hire, it's the extension to a coach with absolutely no leverage. It's one thing to make a bad hire, it's another to tie your hands by doubling down on it for absolutely no reason. Pruitt had absolutely no leverage with a 13-12 record in a pandemic coming off the GSU fiasco. While I don't think Fulmer cast a wide enough net in 2017, he does deserve a partial pass for that hire given the spot he was put in. What he does not deserve a pass for is extending Holly another season and extending Pruitt for 2 more seasons, and some of the terms in Pruitt's contract. Of our big "3" sports, he had made bad decisions for 2 of them.

It's in writing. Look at his contract. The duties are mostly comprised of $$$$ items (which is primarily related to football), PR (which is primarily related to football), compliance with the rules (which the football program is currently being investigated for). In a perfect world, the AD and the administration care equally about all sports but with this much $$$$ involved, they care about that.

So if CPF is on his way out the door how did he orchestrate the Steele hire? His one negative is the Pruitt deal which I bet was a deal agreed upon by others in power since it was one week into his new job. It was a an above average risk hire, as would any of them been at that time. The variability of potential ends to this saga only strengthen CPF in my view, in that his contacts and relationships could be more valuable if we have to cobble together an interim type solution if there is more fire than smoke with the investigation. I just do not see another REAL HC hire till next year. I am guessing the power folks, especially the money guys, have grown weary of high risk hires and will hold out for someone pretty strong before they finance another long term deal. With COVID revenues in our pockets right now we either find one acceptable to them or mortgage our TV money and go it alone. The latter probably means a bargain basement guy. Could hit a homerun... could not.

Maybe getting the NCAAF death penalty for 3 years wouldn't be so bad.

VN Store

Back