Who sold cokes/hot dogs at Neyland as a kid?

That would have been so cool to have a job in Neyland but seeing as I grew up near Asheville, NC it was a little far for dad to drop me off. Thanks to my mom, I was able to get a job at the New Asheville Speedway on Friday nights in the concession stand. The managers were pretty slack and would let us slide out during the races when most people were in their seats but between races you had best be inside. Also was allowed one hamburger, one hotdog and one soft drink per night. Not bad for a sixteen year old in 69-70...

Reactions: VolNExile
That would have been so cool to have a job in Neyland but seeing as I grew up near Asheville, NC it was a little far for dad to drop me off. Thanks to my mom, I was able to get a job at the New Asheville Speedway on Friday nights in the concession stand. The managers were pretty slack and would let us slide out during the races when most people were in their seats but between races you had best be inside. Also was allowed one hamburger, one hotdog and one soft drink per night. Not bad for a sixteen year old in 69-70...
We drive by what is now Carrier Park whenever we go to DD#1's house and onward to East Asheville.

Asheville Speedway was one of the legendary short track race venues, and it's just terrible that some pearl-clutchers decided to shut them down. Although Carrier Park is pretty fun. The race track is now pedal powered.The old speedway nowadays:

1547519375982.png

Update: Asheville's Carrier Park Velodrome to reopen this month

Reactions: NC_Orange
Sold drinks AND watched the game. Did not make any money to speak of ... but sure watched a lot of football for free. Have taken my college age daughter to several games and the Orange &White games. My brothers and I make it a family time ... we bring the kids, eat at Calhouns, and watch football. Real good times.

giphy.gif

My brother and I sold cokes and hot dogs(Smokey dogs) at Neyland for several seasons as kids. My dad would drop us off at the stadium a couple hours before games and we’d go in and pay $20 for a rack. You’d sell them all keep the profit and go buy another rack.
Go Vols!

What a great memory. How much could you make on the $20 rack?

My brother and I sold cokes and hot dogs(Smokey dogs) at Neyland for several seasons as kids. My dad would drop us off at the stadium a couple hours before games and we’d go in and pay $20 for a rack. You’d sell them all keep the profit and go buy another rack. Pretty great way to make money as a kid and watch the games. I can remember going in and seeing the field early in the day and it just being the most beautiful thing I’d ever seen. It’s a great memory of mine and part of what makes me a lifelong Tennessee Volunteer. Any of y’all do this?
Go Vols!
Cokes and hotdogs? I was outside the gates scalping tickets at 11.

I sold programs mostly but I did sell cokes once.

I did clean up crew once too.

You've never seen so many Jack Daniels bottles.

Reactions: VolsnRavens
Sold Cokes from 1987 till around 1992 in Middle/High School. I remember my very first day selling cokes, and having NO idea that you needed a towel. Not for cleaning up, but for cushioning your neck against the cord you used to carry the tray. I had a terrible rash for weeks on the back of my neck after that. I also remember all of the younger kids like myself avoiding the upper reaches of Neyland, not only due to the steep steps but also the loudest, rudest drunks were in the upper tier. More than once we had a youngster come back to the Coke refill station crying because some a-hole had tripped them on purpose and then laughed.

My fondest memory was 1990 when Lou Holtz and number 1 ranked Notre Dame rolled into town. Though I was all Vol growing up, I was also a closet ND fan, simply due to the fact that they were always on TV, way before the days of 100 games on TV every Saturday.

Long story short, I never set foot in Neyland that day. Being a sold out crowd, my dad convinced me to sell my vendor ticket, as it basically allowed you entrance but no seat. Assuming the statute of limitations has passed and I wont get in trouble for that now :). I made way more money selling my ticket than I would have working my butt off selling Cokes that day, but I really regret it now.

Sold Cokes from 1987 till around 1992 in Middle/High School. I remember my very first day selling cokes, and having NO idea that you needed a towel. Not for cleaning up, but for cushioning your neck against the cord you used to carry the tray. I had a terrible rash for weeks on the back of my neck after that. I also remember all of the younger kids like myself avoiding the upper reaches of Neyland, not only due to the steep steps but also the loudest, rudest drunks were in the upper tier. More than once we had a youngster come back to the Coke refill station crying because some a-hole had tripped them on purpose and then laughed.

My fondest memory was 1990 when Lou Holtz and number 1 ranked Notre Dame rolled into town. Though I was all Vol growing up, I was also a closet ND fan, simply due to the fact that they were always on TV, way before the days of 100 games on TV every Saturday.

Long story short, I never set foot in Neyland that day. Being a sold out crowd, my dad convinced me to sell my vendor ticket, as it basically allowed you entrance but no seat. Assuming the statute of limitations has passed and I wont get in trouble for that now :). I made way more money selling my ticket than I would have working my butt off selling Cokes that day, but I really regret it now.

I sold cokes there in 83 and 84. And you're right. My first day, I didn't bring a towel and I was miserable. After that, I used a pad from my BMX handlebar. That thing was perfect. I didn't sell a lot of cokes. I usually sold a tray and then stood there and watched the game, then during a break, I'd go back and get another rack. lol

Reactions: gunner
I never sold. But I did manage to buy both a red “Coke Vendor” shirtand a blue “Hot Dog Vendor” shirt right off the backs of the vendor. Did on a bet.

Still have both of them. Used to wear the Hot Dog vendor shirt out on the town. Great conversation starter.

Who roamed parking garages and broke into cars during the games? I've been looking for you SOB's since Notre Dame game in 91.....

Reactions: VolNExile

VN Store

Back