Who performed better?

Who performed better in the spring game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I look forward to seeing either one of these guys play sometime, as there was only about as much difference in their play as the results of this pole. But, they both have potential to be SEC level players. We will see as they grow and mature.

I have a feeling that Shrout has the It factor. He has quietly went about his business since arriving to Tennessee, and it’s guys like that you have to watch out for. BM is good, and has a chance to play but I like Shrout’s chances at leading this offense before BM. But if our line has problems this year then BM might see playing time over Shrout just because of his ability to evade pressure and throw on the run.

Last edited:
You're going on record as saying that Bailey as a Freshman is going to beat out a Sr 3 year starting SEC QB who is considered top half of the league. You guys are in lala land sometimes.

Close to what happened at Clemson last year and at Ala the previous year. Today's Freshman are much more advanced than a decade ago.

Both essentially the same, ergo no vote. By this time next year at least one of them, if not both, will be in the mysterious portal.

You're going on record as saying that Bailey as a Freshman is going to beat out a Sr 3 year starting SEC QB who is considered top half of the league. You guys are in lala land sometimes.
No lala land for me, guy. I call it like I see it and IMO Bailey could be the best QB we've had in the past 20 + years. Barring injuries, of course. Also, I've longed for the day that JG broke out of his shell and became a superstar. I know the o-line has been terrible and he's been through a different OC every year he's been at UT. Even with those situations occurring, he still holds onto the ball way too long and misses way too many open receivers. Now go ahead and begin your argument about the receivers running the wrong routes and dropping the ball.

P.S. He does throw a good back shoulder fade every now and then.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that Shrout has the It factor. He has quietly went about his business since arriving to Tennessee, and it’s guys like that you have to watch out for. BM is good, and has a chance to play but I like Shrout’s chances at leading this offense before BM. But if our line has problems this year then BM might see playing time over Shrout just because of his ability to evade pressure and throw on the run.

Shrout had the Nathan Peterman factor in the orange and white game he was terribly inaccurate.

Reactions: churchhillvol
Siap but Shrout wouldve been legit rocked on his long pass play in a real game. Some defensive guy gave him a pass.

Also Maurer would have ran for more in a real game i believe.

That said i voted shrout. Just cant throw 2 picks in 13 passes......

jg in the nfl in this scenario.

Considered by who? In most of the rankings I've seen he has been listed last or next to last among returning starters and usually behind one or 2 new starters.

If he doesn't improve his decision making speed and reads... someone is going to catch him or else UT's O is going to continue to suck. A lot of you like to place all the blame on the OL but he wasn't good either. A good number of the hits he took was because he failed to see pressure pre-snap and held the ball too long. Obviously quite a few were OL breakdowns... but not all as many here want to pretend.

Neither are remotely close to being ready to compete in the SEC..
Unfortunately... JG hasn't been for the last two years either.

JG has a much shorter development path but his first 3 years have left open the possibility that one of the others will catch him. As of the end of last year even with all the changes he's endured... he didn't play at a 3rd year college QB level.

Maurer is better than Shrout. Both light years behind JG.

Neither probably ever starts a game here unless JG or Bailey are injured.

Maurer is better than Shrout. Both light years behind JG.

Neither probably ever starts a game here unless JG or Bailey are injured.
JG is not secure. He hasn't demonstrated that he's that good. But you are right that at this point the other two are behind him significantly. So their ability to challenge him depends first on his development then on theirs.

None of us has seen Bailey play against the level of competition he'll see in the SEC. He may be great... but lots of HS stars end up being over sold.

JT Shrout: 10-19, 138 yards, 1 TD 0 interceptions 3 sacks
Brian Maurer: 9-13, 118 yards, 0 TD 2 interceptions 1 sack

I'm curious what everyone thinks. For reasons.
Not gonna lie Mauer has got some "it" factor in him. Dude can play. Still think if Harrison Bailey stays with us that's he will be a star.

VN Store

Back