Who performed better?

Who performed better in the spring game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DustyRockSolid

JT Shrout: 10-19, 138 yards, 1 TD 0 interceptions 3 sacks
Brian Maurer: 9-13, 118 yards, 0 TD 2 interceptions 1 sack

I'm curious what everyone thinks. For reasons.

Last edited:
Both did good things. Both obviously did some bad things. Maurer made some mistakes but I'd give him the edge though I am hopeful for Shrout as well. I liked the way Maurer moved in the pocket and was decisive considering his point of development.

Shrout's deep completion was impressive. Led the receiver very nicely.

You left out an important stat line. JG was "sacked" 4 times. Shrout 3 times. Maurer 0.

Both did good things. Both obviously did some bad things. Maurer made some mistakes but I'd give him the edge though I am hopeful for Shrout as well. I liked the way Maurer moved in the pocket and was decisive considering his point of development.

Shrout's deep completion was impressive. Led the receiver very nicely.

You left out an important stat line. JG was "sacked" 4 times. Shrout 3 times. Maurer 0.
He also left out BM going 3/4 with the 1st team on the last drive.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
BM was 7/10 with the second team. He was 3/4 with the first team. Add it together and youll get 10/14. Not crying at all
I've looked at 7 different sources for spring game stats. They all say the same thing.

I've looked at 7 different sources for spring game stats. They all say the same thing.
Look at the 1st team as well. BM was 3/4. And you didnt answer me about not voting then I noticed you already did along with butchna im assuming?

Look at the 1st team as well. BM was 3/4. And you didnt answer me about not voting then I noticed you already did along with butchna im assuming?
You abstaining? Along with the “vast minority”? 😉

I found something. Volwire says Brian Maurer 2-3, 13 yards, 1 sack with the 1st team.

JT Shrout: 10-19, 138 yards, 1 TD 0 interceptions 3 sacks
Brian Maurer: 9-13, 118 yards, 0 TD 2 interceptions 1 sack

I'm curious what everyone thinks. For reasons.
Maurer. Completion % is all that matters. That 69% rate makes him among the elite.

Whoever was better. Our backup is certainly a going to be a Heisman hopeful around here.

1st 10 plays Mauer looked like a Heisman QB. Then he fell apart badly.
Strout was steady and had a good arm.

I would say Strout for now.

Shrout and it wasn’t really close. I like both guys. It’s gonna be some exciting QB competition in the next few years. I just hope they can have some coaching stability and decent OL play in the future. If they do, then I think the future is bright for these guys.

Reactions: TennMan101
Shrout and it wasn’t really close. I like both guys. It’s gonna be some exciting QB competition in the next few years. I just hope they can have some coaching stability and decent OL play in the future. If they do, then I think the future is bright for these guys.
I believe one of the two will end up transferring. I think Bailey will come in and lock up the starting position by 20'

I believe one of the two will end up transferring. I think Bailey will come in and lock up the starting position by 20'

Definitely possible. Bailey is one of the biggest QB recruits that TN has had in 20+ years. I believe he has the potential to be really special. I think of the 2 Maurer would be the one to transfer if he cannot win the job.

That’s easy....Guarantano, and I'm already giggling my arse off at you and the others who are gonna be miserable having to watch him play. This is great.

You're right about that. The last 2 years have been miserable. So, I'm prepared for this year.

Reactions: SandoVOL
You're right about that. The last 2 years have been miserable. So, I'm prepared for this year.

If the OL doesnt improve dramatically, and if the spring game was any indicator it has not, then there wont be too much to be excited about the offense this year. Hopefully everything comes together for the offense this year.

Completion percentages can be skewed due to dropped passes and short yardage throws such as screens and slants.
Doesn't matter bro. Welcome to Tennessee Football in 2019! Completion % > everything else, even winning.

VN Store

Back