Who is your top choice for a replacement?

Who is your top choice for a replacement?

• Jeff Walz

• Kellie Harper

• A top mid-major coach Fortier, Baranczyk, Krieger or Banghart

• Other (please post who)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I suspect Walz may just use us to get more money from Louisville. Wes Moore would be a no brainer except for his age. I hope Phil seriously considers Katie Abrahamson-Henderson or Michele Clark-Heard, both of whom had great success at mid majors and engineered quick turnarounds.

I suspect Walz may just use us to get more money from Louisville. Wes Moore would be a no brainer except for his age. I hope Phil seriously considers Katie Abrahamson-Henderson or Michele Clark-Heard, both of whom had great success at mid majors and engineered quick turnarounds.
Moore would be fine. He's about the same age as Rick Barnes was when he hired him.

I felt this way as well but someone made a very good point to me yesterday about the vast differences in available resources between the two programs. He may take a smaller paycheck but he would have wayyyyy more program funding to play with. The recruiting budget at Louisville is puny compared to UT and their athletics department is in turmoil trying to come up with extra money right now. I think he just might be on the move to Knoxville.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Every successful coach embraces discipline, heart and hard work. Unsuccessful ones do also. How many times did we hear Warlick mention those desirable traits or lament the lack of them in a player or the team as a whole. Style is how a coach goes about getting players to put those traits into practice. Some coaches have IT some coaches don't. The new coach will have her or his own style. Hope they have IT. I wholeheartedly admire Coach Summitt but she is gone. If you wish the new coach to be Pat you will be disappointed.

The context in which Holly was most frequently mentioning those things was that she “wasn’t going to coach them” she just expected her players to do it, but she wasn’t setting the example.

The kneejerk choice would be Paul Westerberg (nothing wrong with that option), but I always thought Tommy Stinson's bass bridged the gap between low-fi fuzziness and radio-ready pop propulsion.

Reactions: GlennTenn
The next UT WCBB HC must be a proven head coach. Along with Wes Moore, Mark Campbell, Katie Meier, Courtney Banghart and Vic Schaefer, I like Cori Close, the UCLA coach. She beat UT, Maryland and will take on UCONN on Friday. I don't think UT has the money or pull to get Geno or Jeff Walz or Muffet McGraw or Kim Mulkey.

She’s not even the most dominant player in the WNBA right now and she is most definitely not the most dominant player of all time. Heck, Gustafson this season was more dominant than BG ever was in college. And she’s quite literally 6 inches shorter.

Please stay with me. Physically dominant. That's also part of my argument about Mulkey. Griner easily could've averaged 30 and 15 in college but she never came close.

She also played with Odyssey Sims who was one of the best players at her position, and arguably was THE best at her position, even playing at the same time as Skylar Diggins.

Mulkey severely underperformed with Griner. I can only imagine how many NCs Pat or Geno would've won with her.

Please stay with me. Physically dominant. That's also part of my argument about Mulkey. Griner easily could've averaged 30 and 15 in college but she never came close.

She also played with Odyssey Sims who was one of the best players at her position, and arguably was THE best at her position, even playing at the same time as Skylar Diggins.

Mulkey severely underperformed with Griner. I can only imagine how many NCs Pat or Geno would've won with her.

I’ll give you that. Fair assememt. I was never that impressed with Griner though, still not. She’s 6’9” and has never averaged double digit rebounds in her career. College or WNBA. She’s just kind of lazy to be honest. Kim was frequently very frustrated with her from what I recall.

Odyssey was unstoppable though. Loved watching her play. Their loss to Louisville will forever be one of my favorite games to go back and watch. It was the perfect storm, they shot lights out and Baylor had no answer. I think Antonita Slaughter had 9 3s in that game and Shoni Shimmel was her usual self. Sometimes you just hit a hot team and no matter who you have on the court you’re going down.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
In the options I have not included coaches like Muffet, Frese, Schaefer, Mulkey, Moore, Staley, Graves and Rueck because the odds of those coaches leaving their program are incredibly slim IMO. I also left out Kara Lawson/any top assistants since I only see individuals with head coaching experience as being realistic options at this point. No Goestekors either, although she'd be my top pick.

I understand why some of those names are on the list, but not Rueck. yes, the odds are slim but not incredibly slim. If the wallet is open, that would be a good choice.

Assuming money is a constraint, I'm surprised to see no mention (apologies if I missed it) of Katie Abrahamson-Henderson.

Timing is not ideal (but it rarely is). She seems like a good combination of affordable and skilled. She's managed to do a lot with not much. My minor concern would be that people with that skill set might not necessarily be able to start with a lot and do even better.

In my mind there is no way they fire Holly without already knowing the replacement. It seems like the cat got out of the bag sooner than expected, but they should have known with it being Tennessee it would be the worst kept secret in WCBB history.

I hope I misunderstanding you but it sounds like you are suggesting that Tennessee should conduct a nationwide search for a new women's basketball coach before informing Holly. That might be a handful of schools who could manage to do such a search on the quiet but none of them are named Tennessee.

The opening is really bad timing for both her and Harper IMO. While both show hints at success there's really not enough there to justify giving them this opening.

In the case of Nikki that's especially so given that she is in the same league with another person allegedly in the running for this job in Tina Langley. Langley has a much better record at Rice. Nikki may get there but blind resume vs blind resume Langley is a better choice at this moment in time.

The funny thing about Langley is that if she doesn't get the UT job were likely going to be facing her as I expect she'll end up at Alabama, Auburn, or LSU after next year.

Langley has proven no more than Jolly. I honestly don't see why so many people are so enamored by her. There are much better choices at midmajors if necessary, like Fortier at Gonzaga.

Alabama, Auburn and LSU aren't on the same level as UT. Langley would be a fine hire for them. Not even close for us.

I’ll give you that. Fair assememt. I was never that impressed with Griner though, still not. She’s 6’9” and has never averaged double digit rebounds in her career. College or WNBA. She’s just kind of lazy to be honest. Kim was frequently very frustrated with her from what I recall.

Odyssey was unstoppable though. Loved watching her play. Their loss to Louisville will forever be one of my favorite games to go back and watch. It was the perfect storm, they shot lights out and Baylor had no answer. I think Antonita Slaughter had 9 3s in that game and Shoni Shimmel was her usual self. Sometimes you just hit a hot team and no matter who you have on the court you’re going down.

I would have loved to have Sims here. And ironically we probably would have had her had Avant not committed so early. Sims's dream school was UT.

Reactions: VolBall09
In my mind there is no way they fire Holly without already knowing the replacement. It seems like the cat got out of the bag sooner than expected, but they should have known with it being Tennessee it would be the worst kept secret in WCBB history.

I hope I misunderstanding you but it sounds like you are suggesting that Tennessee should conduct a nationwide search for a new women's basketball coach before informing Holly. That might be a handful of schools who could manage to do such a search on the quiet but none of them are named Tennessee.

Oops sorry, missed this. I agree re Katie

The context in which Holly was most frequently mentioning those things was that she “wasn’t going to coach them” she just expected her players to do it, but she wasn’t setting the example.
Correct, as I said, she talked about them as do all coaches. It just wasn't in her to get it out if her players.

Reactions: VolBall09
Obviously you can't read. I didn't wish the new coach to "be Pat". Got an issue with my comment, fine. Posting condescending statements just makes you look like an elitist or ego filled blow hard.
It appears to me posters who can't mention the next coach without mentioning Coach Summitt haven't moved on from the past. There was only one Summitt.

I would like to see the coach from Princeton considered. Her team played with great discipline and intensity the other night. She is also fairly young which may give her more motivational insight.
Walz is undoubtedly a good coach but I’ve always found him to seem like a bit of a jerk on the sideline. He also is not widely seen to be an ethical guy, for example he is at Louisville not exactly a citadel of clean athletics:). Maybe just sharp elbows but the LV program has a great reputation and I would like to see that continue.

VN Store

Back