Who is your favorite Vol Rb...list 3 if you wish

I can’t name just 3, too many to choose from.

Favorites -

Tony Thompson
Hubert Simpson
Greg Amsler
Travis Stephens
James Little Man Stewart
Aaron Hayden
Johnny Jones

The Best -

Jamal Lewis
Charlie Garner
Chuck Webb
Reggie Cobb
Travis Henry
Johnny Majors
George Cafego
Alvin Kamara
Kamara wasn't one of the best while here

From my time of going to The Hill / 1983

Webb was UT's H-Walker to Georgia or B-Jackson to Auburn.

Knew our astroturf was going to be short-lived after he tore his knee apart, with his foot stuck in the A-turf... :(

Despite the fact that he was sticking his pecker in every Ho that came along, Travis “Cheese” Henry is my favorite RB.

Had the most fun watching Cobb and Webb.

Think Lewis had the most pure talent.

Throwing Stewart and Hayden in as well. Stewart was hard to bring down.

Kamara wasn't one of the best while here

Of course he was and by a mile. Just because he wasn’t utilized properly doesn’t mean he wasn’t one of the best, he was the best back on the roster the first day he suited up here and anybody with a football IQ above that of a head of cabbage knew/knows it. Now if you want to say statistics wise that he wasn’t one of the best then you would have a valid point, but again that’s only because he wasn’t used properly or nearly enough, the talent was there for all to see.

Of course he was and by a mile. Just because he wasn’t utilized properly doesn’t mean he wasn’t one of the best, he was the best back on the roster the first day he suited up here and anybody with a football IQ above that of a head of cabbage knew/knows it. Now if you want to say statistics wise that he wasn’t one of the best then you would have a valid point, but again that’s only because he wasn’t used properly or nearly enough, the talent was there for all to see.
Of course his talent made him one of the 5-10 best of all time here

Of course his talent made him one of the 5-10 best of all time here

On just God given talent he’s definitely in the top 5 or 6 in my book, the only RBs I’ve seen run the ball at TN as talented or more than Kamara were Jamal Lewis, Chuck Webb, Reggie Cobb, Charlie Garner and Hubert Simpson. We’ve had some good ones, but Kamara and these guys were a cut above.
It’s no telling how good Simpson would have been if he had worked out and had his head on straight. Garner was the best bad weather back I’ve ever seen run on turf, I watched him cut on wet astroturf like it was nothing but dry and make defenders look silly, never seen a guy run in the rain like that. Jamal was just scary good pre injury had it all, Webb could cut laterally on a dime with the best ever and Cobb had uncanny vision and awareness. Great backs all.

Last edited:
Reactions: cd12
On just God given talent he’s definitely in the top 5 or 6 in my book, the only RBs I’ve seen run the ball at TN as talented or more than Kamara were Jamal Lewis, Chuck Webb, Reggie Cobb, Charlie Garner and Hubert Simpson. We’ve had some good ones, but Kamara and these guys were a cut above.
It’s no telling how good Simpson would have been if he had worked out and had his head on straight. Garner was the best bad weather back I’ve ever seen run on turf, I watched him cut on wet astroturf like it was nothing but dry and make defenders look silly, never seen a guy run in the rain like that. Jamal was just scary good pre injury had it all, Webb could cut laterally on a dime with the best ever and Cobb had uncanny vision and awareness. Great backs all.
Chuck Coleman would have made that list had he not been injury prone. Those 5 you listed are also my top 5 of all time

I'll mention Mose Phillips, Shawn Bryson, William Howard, Greg Amsler, Roland Poles and Sam Henderson just because it's fun to name fullbacks.

Reactions: yabbadabbado
Majors, Lauricella, McEver....Lewis, Stephens, Henry. Two different eras. Awesome players running with the ball in their hands.

James Stewart wasn’t as good as Cobb,Webb, Lewis and Henry, but he was as reliable as they come. Led the team in rushing his freshman year. Then lost a ton of carries to Charlie Garner for 2 years. Then led the team in rushing again his Senior year. He absolutely annihilated the UGA defense his Senior year with a 1st baseman playing QB.
These players are my personal favorites because they gave there all to Tennessee. They were here for the love of Tennessee and the college. My PERSONAL favorites as I wrote this in my comment. When it came to Stewart it was his proximity and love for Tennessee football. Love his story and loved his game. He wasnt going to be denied the end zone. It was a thing of beauty to watch him diving over those piles for the end zone! I didn’t need a history lesson but your statements are facts. But they always came back to little man for the hard yards while Garner was there ! I’ve watched pretty much all of the players in the rushing record books. All the way back to the great Haskell Stanback....Curt Watson and Stanley Morgan.

These players are my personal favorites because they gave there all to Tennessee. They were here for the love of Tennessee and the college. My PERSONAL favorites as I wrote this in my comment. When it came to Stewart it was his proximity and love for Tennessee football. Love his story and loved his game. He wasnt going to be denied the end zone. It was a thing of beauty to watch him diving over those piles for the end zone! I didn’t need a history lesson but your statements are facts. But they always came back to little man for the hard yards while Garner was there ! I’ve watched pretty much all of the players in the rushing record books. All the way back to the great Haskell Stanback....Curt Watson and Stanley Morgan.
That first baseman was a damn good QB

I won’t know until the of the Florida game. By then we should begin to learn a lot about our football team.

VN Store

Back