Who Is Billy Napier?

I have never heard the term "Character challenged" as you've used it as applied to Kiffin as you did here.

I like it - a highly accurate description of Kiffin.

The primary reason why I don't want him here.

Good job Gunter.

I have worked around guys like that all my life. They know their are degrees of right and wrong, but are willing to trust their own judgment of what is on the low end of right and accept that as meeting a goal, but sometimes they are wrong. They have given up too much margin for error.

He justified hurting our program to go after a better gig in his eyes. Would not bother me as much if he had succeeded there, but we paid a price and he set USC back too while keeping another guy in that category with him.

I can recognize his offensive genius, but our guy has that and no indicators of character or integrity shortcomings. At least not yet. I think his goals are higher and if so, his mid-steps will not be as low on that scale.

I would like to see everyone on this board sac up and not worry about who they hire! I don’t give a crap who they hire. Let’s worry about our team and our coaches. Do you really think coach Hype is afraid of them. Truth be told he should have whipped lame kitten this year. Stay positive, Happy Thanksgiving, and go VOLS!!!!

Reactions: knox73
According to several Gator know it all's he is the odds on choice to be the new coach at Florida.

Do we like this?

We don't want a top coach at Florida needless to say.
Can’t control whoever Florida hires. Focus on Heupel taking us to the next level and filling the roster with depth/immediate help from the portal.

Well, that is a compliment to his character. But if winning is of value to him, that can certainly be done at a school such as Florida. It will be an interesting thing to watch. If BN chooses not to go to Fla, does that make Kiffin the Gators number 1 target in your mind?

His family will be the number one factor.

I would like to see everyone on this board sac up and not worry about who they hire! I don’t give a crap who they hire. Let’s worry about our team and our coaches. Do you really think coach Hype is afraid of them. Truth be told he should have whipped lame kitten this year. Stay positive, Happy Thanksgiving, and go VOLS!!!!
Absolutely - who gives a rat's azz who arrives in Gainesville. That worm will turn soon as well as Bama when Saban retires which could be very soon. The Gators are nothing but a coaches graveyard.

Reactions: bpalmer28
Good coach. All promotions from G-5 to P-5 come with risks. A few succeed then you have more that end up like Sumlin.

Ten years ago Kevin Sumlin was the guy everyone wanted. He had produced a 12 win season at Houston and looked like a sure bet. TAM hired him in 2012. He had a good first season then was mediocre until they fired him in 2017. He took the Arizona job and was fired after 3 years with the final blow being a 70-7 loss to ASU. He appears to be currently living on his buyout... not employed in football at 57 years old.

There are so many factors that go into a coach's success. He has to be a quality coach... but the circumstances and situation have to match him too.

So let's hope Florida hires the next Sumlin ;)

Reactions: sjt18
The word has always been that he’s waiting for LSU…we’ll see since that is now open.

I‘d like to see Butch Jones take the Florida job…or Dereck Dooley…or Cornbread…
Even Butch Jones, Jeremy and almost even Dooley would win at Florida.

forgive me for not keeping up with the thread, but what is the florida connection again? does he have any foothold at all in florida? IDK, so forgive me if this is a stupid question to ask.

I think Mario Cristobal would be their top choice and I imagine Fleck would be in consideration?

Billy Napier has been on the list of up and comers for about two years now. Word was that S Carolina heavily courted him before settling on Beamer and that Napier turned them down in the end for a variety of reasons....mostly that it really wasn't the program he saw himself joining. His dream job according to most was the LSU post and he spends multiple days each week calling in to the Jordy Culotta vid podcast talking up his Rajun Cajuns but in reality putting himself out there trying to garner support among the Tiger faithful for the LSU job. Of course Culotta sauces him up and it sounds pretty obvious and self-serving to me. He was clever taking the ULL job where he could take LSU reject recruits and create a good solid program and recruit out of a station wagon instead of a jet. So he has been crafty in creating a buzz about himself. We shall see if he can now make some magic in Gainesville. Whether he has the stones to run a big program put under a level of scrutiny he has not faced before is yet to be seen. And whether he is anything more than just a good solid coach who knows how to self promote will be known before long. Not a home run hire, but I would say he has a reasonable chance to be consistent at UF. Compete with UGA and continue the mastery over us Vols? We shall see.

Napier has a flat personality. I’m not sure if that’s good or bad in these high profile jobs. Winning will determine that I suppose.

forgive me for not keeping up with the thread, but what is the florida connection again? does he have any foothold at all in florida? IDK, so forgive me if this is a stupid question to ask.

Before his current position, I think most of his coaching experience was in Georgia and Alabama. I am not aware of a Florida connection.

Reactions: IluvdoubleD's

VN Store

Back