Who had more disappointing ending: Men Bball or Lady Vols bball

volbound1700

I say the men although Lady Vold choked as well. SEC women's bball reminds me of the B1G's performance in men's bball. Losing to lower seeds across the board: Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, and Tennessee's women bball teams all choked.

3314412325e9ec7b376c292f73309ec8.gif

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
If your morning looks like that you're certainly having a good day.

Lol......actually I was poking fun at OP for a negative topic so early in the a.m.......although this appears to be the norm past few years on VN.

This is what happens when 2 of your best are true freshman, look at all the talent at Kentucky, i know they made runs but 1 Chip to show for all of that talent, our problem was we didn't have that go to player when we had to have a basket, these 1 and doned sells tickets but dont bring home the Trophy.

Not even close. Barnes DID NOT earn his ridiculous salary this year. Not even close. Men were a joke.
This same board had a melt down when we thought he was going to UCLA, just say he quit or retired, who would come here and recruit like Barnes we better watch what we wish for or we will have a roster full of 3 stars, at least we have a chance every year with our talent, i can remember years when i didnt even watch a game because we stunk it up.

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
Has to be the men since they were ranked higher, pre-season pick to win SEC. Men were clearly over rated. LV's not picked to win anything. Bottom line is TN does not have an elite BB team in either sport.

Abd when did TN have an elite men's team? Last two years of the Ernie/Bernie show? That was over 45 years ago................

This same board had a melt down when we thought he was going to UCLA, just say he quit or retired, who would come here and recruit like Barnes we better watch what we wish for or we will have a roster full of 3 stars, at least we have a chance every year with our talent, i can remember years when i didnt even watch a game because we stunk it up.

Yeah, it's OK to be disappointed in the season, but we are recruiting at possibly the highest level that we ever have. I mean, sure there was Ernie and Bernie, but that is 2 players, not a whole roster.

The women had that big win over South Carolina was their high point on the season. They ended up ranked 13th so not to bad for their current talent level. I think the men failed because the inside game failed. Fulkerson was no where near his form of the year before. Pons is almost totally defense only. After those two we had some people that can't help much. You rarely do that well when you depend almost totally on guards.

Yeah, it's OK to be disappointed in the season, but we are recruiting at possibly the highest level that we ever have. I mean, sure there was Ernie and Bernie, but that is 2 players, not a whole roster.

Ernie’s class was one of the best ever. Then came Bernard and 2 years after that Reggie was signed. It took 45 years, but we are back to crushing it in recruiting. Dale Ellis wasn’t surrounded by high level recruiting. Neither was Allan Houston.

Reactions: i2amavol
I’m sorry but the Lady Vols just don’t register that high. Never did & never will.

Ugh... when I was at school there, Lady Vols had more average attendance then the men. The reason TBA was built to be almost as large as Rupp was due to the crowds being generated from the Lady Vols and not the men. Granted, the Lady Vols have fallen off majorly since Summitt was forced to retire due to illness. Pat Summitt's teams built TBA.

Ugh... when I was at school there, Lady Vols had more average attendance then the men. The reason TBA was built to be almost as large as Rupp was due to the crowds being generated from the Lady Vols and not the men. Granted, the Lady Vols have fallen off majorly since Summitt was forced to retire due to illness. Pat Summitt's teams built TBA.

This is 100% false. The TBA was being planned while Mears was still the coach. They even looked into building a section in the north end zone of Neyland that would be pushed to the south end with a roof for basketball season. Stokely’s 12,700 seats were hard sellouts for the men but mostly vacant for the women.

Pat Summitt had a hissy fit when they weren’t initially going to be playing in the TBA. She did not want to stay in Stokely.

Their average attendance might have been higher when Wade was 5-22 and you could get free Lady Vol tickets at businesses all over Knoxville.

Sorry, dude, the reason UT built TBA was Devoe had the program going pretty well in the early ‘80s and Woodruff didn’t want to lose him. TBA was designed early in the 80s, ground broke in 1983. Lady Vols barely drew flies then but construction was halted at least once due to the initial GC going bankrupt and the discovery of caves underneath. Ray Bell Construction came in a saved the project from being a total disaster. The Arena was opened in 1986-87 season and I don’t think the Lady Vols even started playing their games in there until a year or so later but I may be mistaken on that

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Sorry, dude, the reason UT built TBA was Devoe had the program going pretty well in the early ‘80s and Woodruff didn’t want to lose him. TBA was designed early in the 80s, ground broke in 1983. Lady Vols barely drew flies then but construction was halted at least once due to the initial GC going bankrupt and the discovery of caves underneath. Ray Bell Construction came in a saved the project from being a total disaster. The Arena was opened in 1986-87 season and I don’t think the Lady Vols even started playing their games in there until a year or so later but I may be mistaken on that

I saw a model of the TBA in early 1982 over at the A&A Building but I think that the plans had been drawn up a year or two earlier. It was built because TN had outgrown Stokely with the success leading up to and through the Ernie and Bernie Show. Devoe kept the success and interest from back sliding.

Devoe might have had a different level of success had the TBA not been 2 or 3 years behind schedule. His best recruits came early and a brand new, shiny arena opening around 1984 would have really benefited him.

During the 1990s it would have been great had that sink hole that caused the construction delays opened up and swallowed the whole building.

Ernie’s class was one of the best ever. Then came Bernard and 2 years after that Reggie was signed. It took 45 years, but we are back to crushing it in recruiting. Dale Ellis wasn’t surrounded by high level recruiting. Neither was Allan Houston.

Yeah, Mears left Devoe a very strong roster off that 1977 SEC championship team. Darden, Johnson, Crosby, Bert were all starters on the 1979 SEC tourney championship. Mears was really recruiting at a high level when he got sick.

I’m sorry but the Lady Vols just don’t register that high. Never did & never will.

Agree the men were more disappointing. Men's basketball, even when CPHS had a welled oiled machine going, has always been way more popular even in down years.

Now there are lower expectations of Lady Vols basketball in general after Warlick ran it into the ground and I'm not sure if they can rise past the doldrums of being a 2nd tier going forward.

VN Store

Back