Who else noticed Burns body language was off to start the 7th?

It was clear as day on tv and i told my gf that i had a terrible feeling about keeping him when we had a few other rested aces ready and waiting that we could pitch. He looked very visibly tired as well. Still just a freshman.

If me, a fan who loosely follows the sport on tv, could spot this then why didn't Vitello?

Also, i said Lipscomb should have been pulled after the first error. He completely dissapeared at the plate this series as well then costed us big time in the 7th. He looked shook this entire series. Not trying to bash any player, just calling it like i see it. Some guys just come through in bigger moments than others.

He should have never seen that inning. Coach V should have had a plan to best use his pitching advantage against them, any pitchers falters he comes out, 60 pitches max for Burns, 40 pitches for Beam, then the best reliever based on batter. If they go down they know they used all ammunition a much better feeling than we are experiencing this morning. I listened to a talk show host this morning say, it was Burn's game to lose. Thats ridiculous this was an elimination game in the NCAA, you use fresh arms in the late innings. This is no ones game, crazy. The ND coach made the right moves and was rewarded.

He’ll be ok with Anderson. I think the biggest surprise pitcher for next year will be Wyatt Evans. I think he takes on a bigger role in the weekend bullpen.

For sure! With the level he found this year, Beam's progression under a guy like Anderson will be fun to watch.

I like the call on Evans. I'm pretty excited about what that Pen can grow in to.

In hindsight, I think the ejection of Anderson on Friday hurt us more than anything else in the series.

Good coaches know what to do in situations, great coaches know to rely on those good coaches. Vitello is a great coach that was missing his pitching coach on Sunday and it showed.
Bingo. I said it that day that Gilbert's actions were costly beyond just the point of him being ejected and missing one game, himself. His actions led to Anderson losing his head and cost him 3 games. If FA is there, yesterday, there's a chance Burns doesn't even walk on the field in the 7th inning, much less last long enough to cough up the lead. Just a very unfortunate decision on Friday from Gilbert's and Anderson that cost them on Sunday.

It was clear as day on tv and i told my gf that i had a terrible feeling about keeping him when we had a few other rested aces ready and waiting that we could pitch. He looked very visibly tired as well. Still just a freshman.

If me, a fan who loosely follows the sport on tv, could spot this then why didn't Vitello?

Also, i said Lipscomb should have been pulled after the first error. He completely dissapeared at the plate this series as well then costed us big time in the 7th. He looked shook this entire series. Not trying to bash any player, just calling it like i see it. Some guys just come through in bigger moments than others.
Welp that settles it. Any casual fan watching on television knows more that CTV. I hope they fire him to hire you.

I know he had a hell of a season abd is a great player. But sometimes players hit slumps or the pressure gets to him. This series was definitely one of those times and his performance / numbers prove that sentiment to be correct.

I won't entertain any argument suggesting that we should've pulled Trey.

Regarding Burns, one could argue that he should've been replaced earlier. However, if we're playing hypotheticals, let's say we wave the magic wand, say Burns didn't pitch the 7th and we remove all 3 of those runs. Even so, ND scored 3 runs in the 8th when Burns didn't throw a pitch, which while I realize the game would've been closer, the end result is the same. Thus, don't see the argument that pulling Burns earlier would've won us the game.

Regarding Burns, one could argue that he should've been replaced earlier. However, if we're playing hypotheticals, let's say we wave the magic wand, say Burns didn't pitch the 7th and we remove all 3 of those runs. Even so, ND scored 3 runs in the 8th when Burns didn't throw a pitch, which while I realize the game would've been closer, the end result is the same. Thus, don't see the argument that pulling Burns earlier would've won us the game.

Yeah, it snowballed for sure, but still it isn’t like the bullpen came in and shut them down.

Yeah, it snowballed for sure, but still it isn’t like the bullpen came in and shut them down.

I will give CTV credit on that one. In the same vein as the OP, I could quickly tell that Cam didn't have his A stuff. When he is on, the pitches are around the knee. The pitch where he hit the guy in right elbow was supposed to be a 12-6 breaking ball that didn't tumble downwards.

So, I do give Tony props for giving Cam the quick hook.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo

Your post is ridiculous regarding Trey. Just an awful take.

Hypothetically, you can’t just assume if the 7th inning played out differently the rest of the game would have played out the same. Different pitchers facing different hitters (if ND goes down in order in the 7th, the whole order changes for the rest of the game). You also have different emotions (ND was pumped/TN was deflated after the 7th) that impact the results of the game.
The relievers could have come in and got bombed worse than Burns, could have shut them down and ND doesn’t score the rest of the game (maybe we do, maybe we don’), or anything in between. It’s easy to say CTV should have pulled Chase sooner based on what happened. If he strikes out the side after the GRD, CTV is a genius. If he pulls him to start the 7th and the reliever gets bombed, he looks like an idiot. The game played out the way it did and there are literally hundreds of ways it could have turned out differently if CTV had made different decisions. We’ll never know….

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
I know he had a hell of a season abd is a great player. But sometimes players hit slumps or the pressure gets to him. This series was definitely one of those times and his performance / numbers prove that sentiment to be correct.
No they don’t. You proved that you just don’t know baseball with that statement. Trey was a stud all season.

This is silly.

Burns was mostly cruising up to this point... including retiring the side in the 5th/6th with 18 pitches. Sure, there's a good argument for pulling pitchers prior to the TTO. But let's not pretend it was obvious without the benefit of hindsight.

As for pulling Lipscomb, that's just crazy.

Hypothetically, you can’t just assume if the 7th inning played out differently the rest of the game would have played out the same. Different pitchers facing different hitters (if ND goes down in order in the 7th, the whole order changes for the rest of the game). You also have different emotions (ND was pumped/TN was deflated after the 7th) that impact the results of the game.
The relievers could have come in and got bombed worse than Burns, could have shut them down and ND doesn’t score the rest of the game (maybe we do, maybe we don’), or anything in between. It’s easy to say CTV should have pulled Chase sooner based on what happened. If he strikes out the side after the GRD, CTV is a genius. If he pulls him to start the 7th and the reliever gets bombed, he looks like an idiot. The game played out the way it did and there are literally hundreds of ways it could have turned out differently if CTV had made different decisions. We’ll never know….

Sure, altering one variable could change everything, which is what has to be maddening for a baseball coach such as CTV, as quotes suggest that he beats himself up quite a bit about such decisions. Just think there would be a stronger argument if the bullpen had been able to shut them down. However, I would always be happy to take my chances with Cam and Kirby on the mound.

I would like to know the outcome if Beam had started that inning with a 2 run lead followed by Joyce and Walsh. Sure, they might have given up even more runs but I would have felt better about the situation this morning. Hard to lose with the best relievers in the country on the rail.

Reactions: Big Al Orange

Meh... I don't know that 3/15 with two doubles and a homer necessarily qualifies as a "slump". It's still an OPS in the mid .700's. Sure, it's not the video game numbers he's put up most of the season.... but to say your being nit-picky is an understatement.

I would like to know the outcome if Beam had started that inning with a 2 run lead followed by Joyce and Walsh. Sure, they might have given up even more runs but I would have felt better about the situation this morning. Hard to lose with the best relievers in the country on the rail.

I hear you, no matter how it went down, it's a tough one to take

It was a hot day yesterday. I still say the was on the coaching. Maybe not having Anderson in the dugout hurt us. Freshman or not, Burns gave us 6 solid innings.
Upsets can happen in 3 game series between playoff teams. We probably win 7/8 out of ten against Notre Dame. Accept the fact they outplayed us in 2 of the games. Individual players and coaches should not be singled out.

Say what you will but when ND hit those back to back HR the air came out of the balloon right there.
Again at HR #1 and 88 pitches in a very tight game facing a team that had shown all weekend they could hit the ball it was time to go get him. But he didn't and I'm sure he'll beat himself up all off season.
Great year, now get the renovations started. More time to recruit while those other teams are " busy"

I noticed his body language was off after back to back HRs.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN

Lipscomb had big hits in the first two games. Don’t even know why pulling him would even be a thought.

Perhaps something our pitching coach might have noticed, oh wait.

Reactions: Titan05

VN Store

Back