Who else noticed Burns body language was off to start the 7th?

I was all for winning the SEC tourney one time. Now that we’ve done that, curious if we should kinda play the reserves a bunch next year in Hoover??? Pace ourselves maybe….I’m undecided….?
It's a hard one. You've got to keep your regulars in a good rhythm, including your pitchers, and give them enough work to keep them sharp. So I guess maybe you start them, get in their work, like a preseason football game, and start pulling them after 2 or 3 at bats? And send a signal to your competitive players that you don't care if we win? It's an odd thing to do. I'd rather try to win the tourney and have that bird in hand in case we miss getting to Omaha, we'll at least have that accomplishment. I think in our case the emotional and physcal stress was more from being ranked #1 for most of the season and being talked about as maybe the best team to ever suit up, and then hearing some say if we didn't win in Omaha then it was a wasted season. That kind of talk puts a lot of pressure on these young college guys.

I hate my first post to be on the neg side. I’m super excited about coach V and what he is doing. End of the day we are hanging two SEC banners. Burns had demonstrated all year that once in the 70s his stuff begins to flatten out and elevate. That doesn’t excuse the lack of offense or the Homer Mabry gave up in relief. Those first two pitchers for ND weren’t all that good. Their closer is likely a future first rounder. While Beck found other ways on base, I believe Gilbert, Lipscomb and Beck were hitless in game three.
All star players in MLB go hitless quite often. What’s your point? No one has ever had a 162 game hitting streak. Hitters get out 70% of the time.

I hate my first post to be on the neg side. I’m super excited about coach V and what he is doing. End of the day we are hanging two SEC banners. Burns had demonstrated all year that once in the 70s his stuff begins to flatten out and elevate. That doesn’t excuse the lack of offense or the Homer Mabry gave up in relief. Those first two pitchers for ND weren’t all that good. Their closer is likely a future first rounder. While Beck found other ways on base, I believe Gilbert, Lipscomb and Beck were hitless in game three.

BE CAREFUL!!! I have been saying things like this for the past several days and have been catching hell.... I will say you have shown more tact and social acceptance than I. I just called the performance of others than Barns, as choking...

All star players in MLB go hitless quite often. What’s your point? No one has ever had a 162 game hitting streak. Hitters get out 70% of the time.
Hmmm, not sure How what I said implied anything of the sort.
Simply pointing out that while Burns had a bad inning, the offense didn’t do much do much to help. Going hitless isn’t bad when you are walking, bunting, advancing the base runner, or taking the pitcher deep in the count. They needed more of what Seth was providing. I don’t think there’s a think I said that Vitello wouldn’t strongly agree with. I’m super excited he’s our coach and have no doubt he’ll learn and grow from this.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Hmmm, not sure How what I said implied anything of the sort.
Simply pointing out that while Burns had a bad inning, the offense didn’t do much do much to help. Going hitless isn’t bad when you are walking, bunting, advancing the base runner, or taking the pitcher deep in the count. They needed more of what Seth was providing. I don’t think there’s a think I said that Vitello wouldn’t strongly agree with. I’m super excited he’s our coach and have no doubt he’ll learn and grow from this.
I was referring to where you called out players for going hitless in ONE GAME. Seems really NegaVol to do that. Players routinely go hitless in games.

I didn’t notice any body language issues at all with Burns to start the 7th, but I definitely would have pulled him after the one-out double when he hit roughly 90 pitches. I think Tony would agree, but it is what it is. I can understand why he left him in.
Yeah, that's what bugs me. We had zero reason to try and stretch him for another inning. Every arm in the pen was available and it was third time through their lineup. Water under the bridge now, not gonna drown in it twice.

Yeah, that's what bugs me. We had zero reason to try and stretch him for another inning. Every arm in the pen was available and it was third time through their lineup. Water under the bridge now, not gonna drown in it twice.
Yeah Vitello is gonna have to live with that. I’m sure he’s kicking himself over it. Gotta move on.

Yeah Vitello is gonna have to live with that. I’m sure he’s kicking himself over it. Gotta move on.
I was referring to where you called out players for going hitless in ONE GAME. Seems really NegaVol to do that. Players routinely go hitless in games.
I had no idea what I said would be taken so harsh. My point wasn’t to debate, argue, or bad mouth our players. I kind of thought this was a sports group where we could share our thoughts in community. Apologies if I was out of line.

Reactions: txbo
You stated that ND shortened their swing with 2 strikes when a majority of their HR’s were with 2 strikes. You stated Lipscomb choked when had a HR, 2 doubles, and 2 RBI’s in the series. Those were facts that were incorrect.

Simply losing doesn’t mean a team chokes. That’s asinine.
👍🍊👊👊👊. Thank you.. Spot on. So tired of NegaVols undermining our team when clearly they just want to tear down players while demonstrating that they don’t know baseball.

I had no idea what I said would be taken so harsh. My point wasn’t to debate, argue, or bad mouth our players. I kind of thought this was a sports group where we could share our thoughts in community. Apologies if I was out of line.
Appreciate that but the rules are clearly posted. There’s no need to call out specific players for “going hitless” or “giving up a homer”. GBO!

It is an open forum. Welcome. Not sure how much time you’ve spent lurking but it is a community…more of an asylum actually. 😏

Reactions: txbo
I was all for winning the SEC tourney one time. Now that we’ve done that, curious if we should kinda play the reserves a bunch next year in Hoover??? Pace ourselves maybe….I’m undecided….?
Funny. I kinda feel the same way. Love getting both SEC championships but wonder if treating it like an exhibition would better serve us for the postseason. I’m undecided.

BE CAREFUL!!! I have been saying things like this for the past several days and have been catching hell.... I will say you have shown more tact and social acceptance than I. I just called the performance of others than Barns, as choking...
Deservedly so. Just stop with the choking as it’s a tired, lazy, and inaccurate take.

I would have taken Burns out after he gave up the foul home run. It was clear he didn't have it at that moment. Probably should have been removed after the tying home run. That for sure rattled him and the whole team. Joyce pitched around 50-60 pitches on Friday but I would have brought him in right there. I'm going down with my best in that spot. Or maybe even bring Tidwell in. He had a short outing on Friday too. But I know, TV is definitely killing himself over it. It's over. I wish it wasn't but it happens.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Don't sweat it. We're all wound a bit tight after the loss. It will start lightening up soon. Stick around and shoot the bull with us.

I know he had a hell of a season abd is a great player. But sometimes players hit slumps or the pressure gets to him. This series was definitely one of those times and his performance / numbers prove that sentiment to be correct.
I believe he was having some problems the previous inning but was able to get out of it. It Ould have been best if he had been pulled when he put runners on base with two outs. He was losing some speed and his pitches were staying above the belt. Those pitches turn into home runs.

Deservedly so. Just stop with the choking as it’s a tired, lazy, and inaccurate take.

Ok I will stop using the term "choking". Even though, when I was a youngster (and on up to adult nearing mid age), that is what you called what happened to the team as a whole (from coaching on down). Now what do these "youngsters" now days call the way things played out last weekend? Well they were beaten by a better team,,, BS, they were beaten by better pitching,,, BS, they were beaten by better coaching,,, weellll, maybe.....

Reactions: taylorvol
Ok I will stop using the term "choking". Even though, when I was a youngster (and on up to adult nearing mid age), that is what you called what happened to the team as a whole (from coaching on down). Now what do these "youngsters" now days call the way things played out last weekend? Well they were beaten by a better team,,, BS, they were beaten by better pitching,,, BS, they were beaten by better coaching,,, weellll, maybe.....
" That team" sent traditional baseball power Texas to the losers bracket last night. And it really wasn't even close.

Reactions: taylorvol
I'd be curious to know in how many starts this year Burns went a full 7 innings. My guess is that it wasn't many at all. I haven't looked at the stats, but my sense that our starters rarely went longer than 6 innings--and quite often it was only 5+, at least based on the games I saw this year. Vitello went to his bullpen thoughout the season early and often, because we had a deep staff. So to leave Burns in in the 7th, especially after he'd given up a double and a homer, was strange, IMO.

At the end of the day the biggest decisions that managers make in baseball is when to pull a starter who's been pitching well but you're in the 6th/7th inning and facing the opposing lineup for a third time. Pull the starter and go to the pen, or leave him in? That's the do-or-die decision facing managers in big games, and unfortunately, Vitello got it wrong.

ND has more experience (see Supers last year vs MS St) and outplayed UT in a 3 game series. Gilbert’s and CFA’s ejections really hurt the team and Link won the coaching matchup. TN had a tremendous season winning the SEC on both fronts and gained valuable postseason experience for next year.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I'd be curious to know in how many starts this year Burns went a full 7 innings. My guess is that it wasn't many at all. I haven't looked at the stats, but my sense that our starters rarely went longer than 6 innings--and quite often it was only 5+, at least based on the games I saw this year. Vitello went to his bullpen thoughout the season early and often, because we had a deep staff. So to leave Burns in in the 7th, especially after he'd given up a double and a homer, was strange, IMO.

At the end of the day the biggest decisions that managers make in baseball is when to pull a starter who's been pitching well but you're in the 6th/7th inning and facing the opposing lineup for a third time. Pull the starter and go to the pen, or leave him in? That's the do-or-die decision facing managers in big games, and unfortunately, Vitello got it wrong.
CTV will beat himself up for that decision for decades. Trust me, it will haunt him for a long time. He’s won more games with great decisions than lost with poor decisions but he’d love to have a “do over” for last week. The pain in his voice and eyes were evident long after that game. With that said, I wouldn’t trade CTV for any coach In the game. His recruiting, coaching, and people skills are tremendous.

This time.

VN Store

Back