Who do you WANT to play in a bowl game against?

Taking out the contractual obligations, likelihood of matchups, etc etc. If you could hand pick the bowl-eligible team you would like us to bowl against this year, out of conference of course, who would you pick?

Personally, I would like us to square off with Michigan State. They’ve had an incredible year from a record standpoint, and will likely finish 10-2, but they’ve really only accomplished one respectable thing, and that’s beating Michigan. The rest of their schedule has been against scrub teams, and Ohio State just absolutely deflated them.

Beating them would look REALLY good on us and likely propel us into the Top 25 going into next year.

My option B would be Penn State.
Taking out the odd dates/times of the bowl, I'd love to play Penn St in Nashville or Clemson in Charlotte.

Reactions: MiramarVol
Michigan State (Pass D was terrible BEFORE the OSU game), Iowa (terrible offense, good reputation), Penn State (big name, average team), and Clemson (bad offense, big name)

Baylor or Michigan State.

B1G is so overrated, would be hilarious to smoke one of their top teams.

Baylor because I think they’re a Top 10 team we would have the best chance of beating

Reactions: ArdentVol
Too big, too much depth, just fast enough and too much ability to control the ball. Not a good matchup for us.
True, I just want us to play them more often. I'd be very happy to play them in the regular season like every 3-5 years or something, home and home.

I was lurking on 247 last night and noticed their bowl prediction had us in the Music City against Minnesota. That would probably be a better matchup for us this year.

Clemson’s defense is legit. Give Venables a month to prepare and I’m not sure it would be a good day. They’ve had their struggles offensively, but they still have talent and depth across the board.

Folks may disagree, but I don’t care the opponent is, we just need to get to 8 wins. 8-5 is easier to sell to recruits than 7-6.

We would get beat by most of the teams mentioned on this thread.
Never agreed with you more.

I'm mystified at these people wanting Clemson. I mean, I don't even know what to say.

I love this team and I'm thrilled with what they've accomplished. But even if you sell me on them being good enough, they're not deep enough and all I can see is it turning into a 2 to 3 td or more loss like Al and GA.

I just don't see us "there" yet and if I'm a recruit, a win against South Dakota Tech is better than a loss to Clemson.

True, I just want us to play them more often. I'd be very happy to play them in the regular season like every 3-5 years or something, home and home.

I was lurking on 247 last night and noticed their bowl prediction had us in the Music City against Minnesota. That would probably be a better matchup for us this year.

I guess I am being selfish, but N.D. is not a good team for us to play anytime what with Bama and Ga etc. on our table every year. Playing N.D. , who plays only 2-3 teams like these SEC teams leaves them plenty of rest between "big" games. Besides, they are nearly always good (not always great) with the media coverage assisting nationwide recruiting and appeal. Would like to see everyone who are in the heat of conference and several rivalry type games every year just stop playing them. Like this year, they are getting talk right now by the media guys about being a "playoff team" BS. Nope, just everyone stop playing them til they join the rest of the world and play for championships and lucrative bowls like everyone else.

I guess I am being selfish, but N.D. is not a good team for us to play anytime what with Bama and Ga etc. on our table every year. Playing N.D. , who plays only 2-3 teams like these SEC teams leaves them plenty of rest between "big" games. Besides, they are nearly always good (not always great) with the media coverage assisting nationwide recruiting and appeal. Would like to see everyone who are in the heat of conference and several rivalry type games every year just stop playing them. Like this year, they are getting talk right now by the media guys about being a "playoff team" BS. Nope, just everyone stop playing them til they join the rest of the world and play for championships and lucrative bowls like everyone else.
Fair points. I don't think we will see ND join a conference in FB anytime soon. Independent status is kind of their thing/brand, and results in a much easier path to the playoffs for them. They essentially get a yearly bye game with not having to play in a conference championship.

Reactions: savannahfan
I'm bored with the midwest teams. Iowa, Indiana and I just saw Minnesota in the latest projections.

Clemson, Penn State, Miami, Oregon. I guess UNC wouldn't be terrible, but still a bit underwhelming.

Clemson would be my top pick, a lot of recruiting implications and national coverage. UNC is interesting.

As far as possible Big 10 teams go, I like Iowa and Minnesota matchup wise.

Big 12 is unlikely but I think we would beat anyone we drew from there (KSU, TTU, ISU) with ISU probably being the most even matchup.

VN Store

Back