Who carries a knife?

So here's a question:

If you had to pick one knife for a GTHO bag/ multipurpose use, what would it be? Utility, meat prep, defense, etc. I have an Ontario RAK, but it really isn't designed for any delicate usage, if you know what I mean.

You're going to have to figure out where to compromise. A blade that is good for fine work is going to suffer in a lot hard use scenarios and vice-versa.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I've never owned a Kershaw but they have a faithful following. I'll have to give one a go sometime, maybe a Leek or Blur.
The Leek is a sweet little knife. Gave one to a friend some years back. Most of my knives are bigger but a 2-inch or so blade like the leek is really all you need for edc. At least 90% of the use I get from a pocket knife is opening mail and boxes.

So here's a question:

If you had to pick one knife for a GTHO bag/ multipurpose use, what would it be? Utility, meat prep, defense, etc. I have an Ontario RAK, but it really isn't designed for any delicate usage, if you know what I mean.
Fixed-blade, something in the 5 to 7 inch range, ESEE, Fallkniven, or similar. Throw in a roll of duck tape and if you can find a reasonably sturdy branch to lash the knife to, there’s your self defense, without having to pack something ridiculously large.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and jp1
The Leek is a sweet little knife. Gave one to a friend some years back. Most of my knives are bigger but a 2-inch or so blade like the leek is really all you need for edc. At least 90% of the use I get from a pocket knife is opening mail and boxes.
I've got a Kershaw scallion, it's even smaller than the leek but I like it. Assisted opening and good slicing blade.

Recently got a SOG terminus XR LTE for my everyday carry. So far I like it a lot and I'm not usually a fan of SOG knives. For the price I paid for it ($99), I don't hardly see how you can beat it.

Recently got a SOG terminus XR LTE for my everyday carry. So far I like it a lot and I'm not usually a fan of SOG knives. For the price I paid for it ($99), I don't hardly see how you can beat it.
Carbon fiber edition? I love how lightweight my CF Benchmade is. It will probably be even nicer in warm weather when wearing shorts.

Carbon fiber edition? I love how lightweight my CF Benchmade is. It will probably be even nicer in warm weather when wearing shorts.
Yep. Surprisingly light and fits well in my hand. I'm sure there are better knives out there, but I think you would be hard pressed to find something similar at this price point. Which Benchmade do you have? Bugout?

Yep. Surprisingly light and fits well in my hand. I'm sure there are better knives out there, but I think you would be hard pressed to find something similar at this price point. Which Benchmade do you have? Bugout?
Yep. A friend has a dealership account with them and gave it to me a couple months ago. I would never pay that much myself! I also got an orange Kershaw Leek recently, and I pretty much rotate those two.

Basically, if I'm clothed I'm carrying an edge on me. If I walk out the door forgetting something it'll be my keys/wallet/cell phone or whatever before my knife. Been that way since Papaw gave me a Schrade LB-5 my 4th grade Christmas. I'm amazed at the dichotomy of people that ask me why I carry a knife around all the time (like it's a scimitar or something) and how often not only do I find use for a knife but have to help others cut/pry/open something.

So, anybody else EDC a blade of some sort?
Yep. My EDC is the Benchmade 556 Pardue Mini-Griptilian. Perfect carry size for me and it holds a great edge .

Yep. A friend has a dealership account with them and gave it to me a couple months ago. I would never pay that much myself! I also got an orange Kershaw Leek recently, and I pretty much rotate those two.
Love the bugout. I would pay big money if they ever make a Tennessee orange micarta full size bugout. Smkw had Tennessee orange mini bugouts at one point but I think they're discontinued.

Seen this thread for years, never jumped in, mostly because I haven't carried a knife for decades, although growing up I always had a pocketknife in my pocket, typically a Case XX or maybe an Old Timer, whatever I might have traded with a buddy for.

Anyway, every time I see this thread title floating around, it always reminds me of a guy I knew back in the day who was asked if he had a knife on him and said, "Naw, I quit carrying a knife when I learned how to run."

Still cracks me up when i think about it.

Seen this thread for years, never jumped in, mostly because I haven't carried a knife for decades, although growing up I always had a pocketknife in my pocket, typically a Case XX or maybe an Old Timer, whatever I might have traded with a buddy for.

Anyway, every time I see this thread title floating around, it always reminds me of a guy I knew back in the day who was asked if he had a knife on him and said, "Naw, I quit carrying a knife when I learned how to run."

Still cracks me up when i think about it.

It's a funny quip. Of course, I don't think the vast majority of people carry a knife for the primary purpose of fighting vs a working tool. For instance I basically quit bothering putting mine away this Christmas because of how often somebody needed to use it.

It's a funny quip. Of course, I don't think the vast majority of people carry a knife for the primary purpose of fighting vs a working tool. For instance I basically quit bothering putting mine away this Christmas because of how often somebody needed to use it.
Oh yeah, for sure. I always had one in my pocket growing up and I don't think it ever occurred to me to regard it as a weapon, even if I was in a fight.

I had lost my benchmade mini crooked river a while back, so I bought a cheaper knife, a civivi elementum. I’m really impressed with it. Really good quality for around $50.
Anyways, a coworker found my benchmade on a job site the other day and gave it back to me. Blew my mind that it was found on a giant construction site.

VN Store

Back