Who can beat us?

I haven’t watched TAMU at all this year. On paper we should win easily. But despite their awful stats they’ve played some decent games recently... a win over K State, played florida close in Gainesville, won at Alabama, and hung around late at Rupp and against Arkansas. It’s just been the two complete bombs against Missouri and Auburn which are head scratchers.

Wendell Mitchell is shooting 65% from 3 in the last two games. Obviously can’t let him light us up like that.

I’ll probably tune in tonight against LSU

We're 330 out of 353 in 3 point attempts. If we shot any fewer it would be harder to get open looks inside.
I think this is one reason our offense is so good. We look inside first. So many teams now just jack up wild 3's.

I think this is one reason our offense is so good. We look inside first. So many teams now just jack up wild 3's.
If you’re open and it’s in your range you should shoot. No reason to assume there’s a better shot later if you have one now. It’s why you’ll see teams try to get the ball to their shooters in transition before the defense is set.

If you’re open and it’s in your range you should shoot. No reason to assume there’s a better shot later if you have one now. It’s why you’ll see teams try to get the ball to their shooters in transition before the defense is set.
We are arguably the best offense in the country, I don’t think criticizing their shot selection is wise.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
We are arguably the best offense in the country, I don’t think criticizing their shot selection is wise.
We typically already do this. I would just counter any assumption that taking a 3 pointer early in the shot clock is automatically bad shot selection.

We typically already do this. I would just counter any assumption that taking a 3 pointer early in the shot clock is automatically bad shot selection.
When you rank top 10 nationally in 2pt% and 110th nationally in 3pt% I think it would be ill advised to jack up 3’s early in the clock without a paint touch.

On our schedule Ia split with Kentucky is possible. During NCAA, we must be a favorite if we continue to play at the current level or better.

LSU could give us a lot of trouble.
Why? They don't play defense and have 2 really good players. We'll do whatever we want on offense all night. Waters will have to score 30+ for them to beat us and vs Turner and Bone hounding him all night I just can't see it happening. Ky and Auburn are the only 2 left I feel that can beat us.

Why? They don't play defense and have 2 really good players. We'll do whatever we want on offense all night. Waters will have to score 30+ for them to beat us and vs Turner and Bone hounding him all night I just can't see it happening. Ky and Auburn are the only 2 left I feel that can beat us.

LSU has a good O, they have great bigs, and they have a guard who at times can get real hot. The LSU game is at LSU, and they could keep up with Tennessee on the O............where several teams have, but fell off later in the game, LSU has the O and personnel to finish just as strong as Tennessee. Tennessee want to get down low, and are one of the top teams in the country in points in the paint..........but LSU has the bigs that could hinder what Tennessee wants to do.

On a bright note, Tennessee is a very good "jump shooting" team, which can come in very handy if they ever have problems scoring down low..........they can still get it to the paint, and simply shoot mid shots.

Not saying Tennessee can't beat LSU, I just think they are Tennessee's toughest match up.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Auburn, LSU, Alabama, MSST, Kentucky and any of the other teams that improve by SEC tourney time. Don't get too high else your going to have to face some realism as these teams get up every game and give their best to out Tennessee. Take that to the bank. Tennessee has some weaknesses that will be exposed and your going to see them. How you handle the reality will be up to you.

There are at least 4 players on this team that has to keep stepping up and improving their offense in order for us to survive and thats Alexander, Bone, Bowden, and Pons. Rupp will explode when the Vols walk in. In venues in the aforementioned it will take a team with mental toughness and ice in their veins.

Take my word for it. Some teams are going to make a lot of progress. Tennessee better do the same. Mark this post down if you want to so you can bump it a little later on.

Well ok

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
I can't predict. I will say several teams in the SEC will Improve. Some teams are going to get hot...SEC going to be tough....All I can say is enjoy the ride...Hope for tremendous bench improvement...Tennessee could lose up to 8 conference games...I get so tense watching some of the games I turn it off, and then back on a little later. Wonder what tickets will be going for when Tennessee enters Rupps Arena....One postive and improvement to me so far is "not just one man is doing the scoring right now...What worries me is " players freezing up and not looking for the shot in big games and trying to pass it all off on Williams or the Admiral. If Bone is hot I want him to keep shooting. If Bowden is hot keep shooting and for Alexander to play like THE MAN down low. Other players must take pressure off Williams and the Admiral.
I'm not looking for an argument but I believe that is the facts as I see them at this time.

Yes my friend this is what I thought. But don't you think I was right in so much of that post also ? Maybe you want to post that over in that thread for others to see. I think in that post I hit the nail on the head. I'm sorry but I see rough seas ahead. Hopefully we lose no more that three of those by March 9th. You know I'm being honest with you. I never trashed a player or the refs. Everyone, every team has to play through that stuff. You, of all people know my post if you read them, even replying to your after game post. There is absolutely nothing wrong with anything in these post. Matter of fact I am rather proud I was so right in most part.

Surely you wouldn't call this negative or against the team. If you do then maybe you need to re-read it again because you would be very wrong to try to show this as a negative. Surely you would not say the post was in any way false. Did I say I cannot predict. Am I at fault because I thought some of the teams we played would come on strong but didn't. Would I be wrong if I said said Tennessee would end up 30-1 but Tennessee experienced injuries to Admiral and Williams and lost 12 games.

I would rather you not push a false narrative that you know I am not guilty of. You know tooooo much basketball than to do that. I suspect those players get an ear full from coach Barnes over the past weeks and during the game and you of all people know it.

So you do what you need to do but I think you should consider doing the right thing when you do it.

Yes my friend this is what I thought. But don't you think I was right in so much of that post also ? Maybe you want to post that over in that thread for others to see. I think in that post I hit the nail on the head. I'm sorry but I see rough seas ahead. Hopefully we lose no more that three of those by March 9th. You know I'm being honest with you. I never trashed a player or the refs. Everyone, every team has to play through that stuff. You, of all people know my post if you read them, even replying to your after game post. There is absolutely nothing wrong with anything in these post. Matter of fact I am rather proud I was so right in most part.

Surely you wouldn't call this negative or against the team. If you do then maybe you need to re-read it again because you would be very wrong to try to show this as a negative. Surely you would not say the post was in any way false. Did I say I cannot predict. Am I at fault because I thought some of the teams we played would come on strong but didn't. Would I be wrong if I said said Tennessee would end up 30-1 but Tennessee experienced injuries to Admiral and Williams and lost 12 games.

I would rather you not push a false narrative that you know I am not guilty of. You know tooooo much basketball than to do that. I suspect those players get an ear full from coach Barnes over the past weeks and during the game and you of all people know it.

So you do what you need to do but I think you should consider doing the right thing when you do it.

You don’t know basketball but pretend you do and try fancy “buzz” words to make yourself sound smarter than you are. Or you’re a troll.

If you’re not a troll, then I would relearn how college basketball works. Maybe read up on some stats. Look at SEC basketball history. Then reconsider your expertise in basketball, because it is seriously lacking.

You don’t know basketball but pretend you do and try fancy “buzz” words to make yourself sound smarter than you are. Or you’re a troll.

If you’re not a troll, then I would relearn how college basketball works. Maybe read up on some stats. Look at SEC basketball history. Then reconsider your expertise in basketball, because it is seriously lacking.
hang on until the end of the season. never been a troll. sorry it doesnt fit your narrative of the Vols...you dont like what people post you you like others throw out names. Troll. All you have said proves nothing. I told you what I thought. Go ahead read all my earlier post. No trolling but just what I thought. You don't like it then deal with it. Post something with facts prove otherwise. I call it the way I see it. The vols have played poorly the last few games. Be glad Bowden, and Bone decided to take their shots as I proposed long ago so other teams could not scheme to shut the Admiral or Williams down and shut down the vols scoring. Your just like everybody else on this board zjc and have an opinion. Go ahead and share it at any time. When you are a player I'll give you more credit.

hang on until the end of the season. never been a troll. sorry it doesnt fit your narrative of the Vols...you dont like what people post you you like others throw out names. Troll. All you have said proves nothing. I told you what I thought. Go ahead read all my earlier post. No trolling but just what I thought. You don't like it then deal with it. Post something with facts prove otherwise. I call it the way I see it. The vols have played poorly the last few games. Be glad Bowden, and Bone decided to take their shots as I proposed long ago so other teams could not scheme to shut the Admiral or Williams down and shut down the vols scoring. Your just like everybody else on this board zjc and have an opinion. Go ahead and share it at any time. When you are a player I'll give you more credit.

Vols won by double digits last five games.

Vols have stayed top five in kenpom.

Tennessee has kept teams shooting under 40% last two games while shooting over 50% last two games.

Vols top 10 in eFG% this year. 3rd in overall efficiency.

Top 40 in defensive efficiency. 2nd in block percentage. 17th in opponents 2 point percentage.

Tennessee is above average in every statistical category that matters except defensive rebounding. Not average, above average nationally.

And finally have won 18 straight longest win streak in the country.

Different opinions are fine. Straight out lies is not. And you saying the Vols haven’t played well recently is garbage.

So you either are uninformed and know nothing about basketball or a troll. Whatever you prefer.

Vols won by double digits last five games.

Vols have stayed top five in kenpom.

Tennessee has kept teams shooting under 40% last two games while shooting over 50% last two games.

Vols top 10 in eFG% this year. 3rd in overall efficiency.

Top 40 in defensive efficiency. 2nd in block percentage. 17th in opponents 2 point percentage.

Tennessee is above average in every statistical category that matters except defensive rebounding. Not average, above average nationally.

And finally have won 18 straight longest win streak in the country.

Different opinions are fine. Straight out lies is not. And you saying the Vols haven’t played well recently is garbage.

So you either are uninformed and know nothing about basketball or a troll. Whatever you prefer.
Yeah, I agree with this entire post.

Reactions: FlVols
LMAO! We are 22-1. We havent lost since the Friday after Thanksgiving. We are #1 in the country for the 4th straight week and we have won by double digits for 5 straight games! If the term "shut up and enjoy the moment" ever applied to a situation it's this one! Live in your Hope's, not in your fears!

LSU has a good O, they have great bigs, and they have a guard who at times can get real hot. The LSU game is at LSU, and they could keep up with Tennessee on the O............where several teams have, but fell off later in the game, LSU has the O and personnel to finish just as strong as Tennessee. Tennessee want to get down low, and are one of the top teams in the country in points in the paint..........but LSU has the bigs that could hinder what Tennessee wants to do.

On a bright note, Tennessee is a very good "jump shooting" team, which can come in very handy if they ever have problems scoring down low..........they can still get it to the paint, and simply shoot mid shots.

Not saying Tennessee can't beat LSU, I just think they are Tennessee's toughest match up.
Good call, I still think we beat em but their length and athleticism will be tough.

VN Store

Back