Who are the starting linebackers?

I’m going to guess..

Juwan Mitchell and Jeremy Banks starting...Aaron Willis and Aaron Beasley back ups to start the season. May not end that way..

My God the Vols are in trouble on defense, weekly improvement may be all we can ask of such a depleted SEC football program
Patience and more Patience are the order of the day for UT football

For most teams, a nickel defense means 5 DBs are used, while a dime defense (or package) means 6 DBs are used.

Teams will use the dime D in 3rd or 4th and long situations, and near halftime, and end of games when leading.

A lot of teams use the nickel D as their “base” (standard) D to match Offenses that line up with 3 or more WRs. Technically a 4-2-5 and a 3-3-5 are both nickel Ds. I believe I saw a lot of 4-2-5 in the O&W game, and I think we’ll see that a lot this Fall on the Vols D. But we were also missing LB depth in the O&W game.
good explanation, thanks- could you give a definition of cover 2 defense in the secondary and if there is much difference than the NFL?

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Not sure about the ILB position specifically but overall I think a lot of people here struggle to put that idea into the perspective of time. This isn't even the worst roster UT has had in the last 4 years. Does no one remember the roster left by Jones?
I’m specifically referencing the ILB position. That roster left by Jones AND the past 3 seasons. When Bituli was dinged (and that was often), there was nothing behind him. People forget that last season was Jeremy Banks first full season at the position and he didn’t have a position coach. Beasley barely got snaps and Crouch way too many. First time in forever that this position group is a strength.

I’m specifically referencing the ILB position. That roster left by Jones AND the past 3 seasons. When Bituli was dinged (and that was often), there was nothing behind him. People forget that last season was Jeremy Banks first full season at the position and he didn’t have a position coach. Beasley barely got snaps and Crouch way too many. First time in forever that this position group is a strength.
I hope you are right. Talent wise it looks better but not a lot of experience.

I also agree that for some reason Pruitt didn't invest a lot of PT in developing LB depth. That was odd for a defensive minded coach.

I hope you are right. Talent wise it looks better but not a lot of experience.

I also agree that for some reason Pruitt didn't invest a lot of PT in developing LB depth. That was odd for a defensive minded coach.

Pruitt was just ODD.

who doesn't know what asparagus is when they're almost 30 years old?

If our D-line is improved, our LBs will be improved. But we'll also be facing more matured offensive lines.

We'll be better. Just don't know if anyone will be able to tell from the stands, or the Sunday paper.

Will Roman Harrison not be inside at 235?
1) Mitchell
2) Banks
3) Harrison
4) Willis
5)Garland
6)Mohan
7)Beasley
8)Joseph
9) Page

It’s ok...not spectacular. Not horrid.

In terms of size, seems that Beasley has grown into a LB now.

But, having played DB in the past, do we have any hope that he will be an LB relatively better in coverage, or is that mixing apples and oranges?

Didn't Banks and Page post some very fast times?
There are a ton of 'High school " 4 & 5 Star"' talent on that list. I'm praying that somebody puts a scheme together that they can understand and execute. Last year after a play there were too many hands in the air and it wasn't for high fives.

Banks could be very good if he gets it between the ears. Hopefully new coaching will help. There was very little coaching last year for him and the DL. I would not be surprised if the DL improves this season with some 5th year vets and experienced journeymen. Doofus fired the DL coach mid year last year and we have Garner now.
You know we always called Dooley "Doofus"but I feel you are correct sir ,Pruitt may have secured that dishonor now. Yeah our defense was terrible the Dooley years after Wilcox left, Sal not even going there. But that offense made it entertaining atleast. If we'd had some better defense we would've won alot more games, scoring 50 and losing, May get deja vu this season🤣🤣 but I'm hoping and believe our defense will be better than expected. Just hope the offense comes together nicely

VN Store

Back