Who all got hurt on that old AstroTurf intramural field at UT?

VaBornVol

The last non-PHD on the internet
I tore about every ligament in my left ankle. 20 years later, it still hurts..,

I tore about every ligament in my left ankle. 20 years later, it still hurts..,
Slipped on my ass one evening on it. It was like an ice rink when it got wet. Worst I saw was a compound arm fracture during an indoor soccer game at the Bubble. It was the worst thing I saw in my 2.5 years as a building manager at TRECS and HPER.

A kid jumped on my leg trying to rush the QB in an intramural game and my ACL popped like a karate-chopped 2x4. Good times...

Reactions: VetVol
About half of the players who played on it. Mostly knees, ankles, and shoulders. It was like playing on concrete. Arms, hands,and elbows were looked like ground meat.

Never played on the AstroTurf, already graduated before they put it in. Only ever played on the dirt/dust......and from reading the other responses, sounds like that was good for my health.

Reactions: DixieVol
Yep, seams in the turf caught my shoe when i was blocking with my arms behind my back because it was flag football.

It stood me up briefly and slowed me down, a tool from PIKE who I was already jawing with ran into me, broke my elbow and tore my UCL. I stayed in one play with it because I was mad. I caught a pass made a beeline for that guy and then ran like Roger Craig high stepping and caught him in the chin with my knee. I knocked him pretty good and I got tossed, but I wanted my payback and got it. Still don’t feel bad about it.

I think 24 guys and girls tore ACL’s on that carpet the final year before it was removed. The field turf they put in was like playing on a cloud the next season.

You talking about the one with all the pellets? After every game, you’d take off your shoe, and it’d be half full of rubber pellets

Not at UT, but in middle school in the 80’s we played at TTU. I stubbed my toe and face planted while running on the field. My first experience with turf toe. So I never complain or call someone a wuss when I hear they’re not playing or limited because of turf toe, sh!t hurts.

You talking about the one with all the pellets? After every game, you’d take off your shoe, and it’d be half full of rubber pellets

I’m not familiar with the pellet field, that must be after I graduated. The old AstroTurf field was one step above outdoor carpet on concrete. If you played d on the AstroTurf, you were at least getting a nasty “raspberry” scrape that felt like fire in the shower

Last edited:
Reactions: RDU VOL#14

I think he meant the astroturf not the field turf. I overlapped and was there for both. The pellets filling up your shoes was well worth it after playing on what was basically the equivalent of rundown putt-putt course carpet. It was nice to be able to wear cleats too.

I’m not familiar with the pellet field, that must be after I graduated. The old AstroTurf field was one step above outdoor carpet on concrete. If you paid on the AstroTurf, you were at least getting a nasty “raspberry” scrape that felt like fire in the shower

Ah. I was there 2006-2010, so they must've replaced it with the pellets before I got there. You'd still get a bit of a carpet burn occasionally, but nothing compared to what you guys are describing...the pellets though...they were kind of annoying to be sure.

I got banned from ETSU intramural basketball for fighting. Transferred to UT and found out all the coeds were on the strip. No more intramurals from then on.

Intramural fields were all dirt when I was there. Not a blade of grass to be found.

VN Store

Back