White Targeting "Offensive Minded" Coach

Interesting story in Sports Illustrated today on the White family. Turns out when they lived in New Orleans, they became friends of the Manning family, and Danny and his siblings often played with the Manning boys. Danny says in the article he is still in contact with the Manning boys. Could it be just wishful thinking that he gets an offensive-minded coach, turns this program around, and that young Arch Manning continues to progress over the next couple of years? Could it even be wishful thinking this relationship could have played a little into the hiring decision on White, aside from his already impressive resume? We shall see, I guess.

Danny White and the First Family of College ADs
Great post. Thanks for sharing article. Nice read.

The AD was a good hire. That said, he is in Florida and so are his coaches. Look how Frost performed at UCF vs Nebraska. That said, look at Tom Allen. They were once worse than Vandy. Hard to recruit even basketball guys there at one point. They were second in Big 10 East and put up 35 against OSU and lost by one TD. No other team put up that many points against OSU. Not even Clemson. And we want to hire Clemson’s OC over him?

Tom Allen has it all. Experienced HC building a much program in much tougher to recruit to area in a Power 5 conference. Proven offensive minded coach but his team had had a good D too as they allowed Kiffin to score fewer points than Bama.

Why I am not hearing this guy’s name more I have no idea.
Because he lost to Pruitt

SURELY we didn't pay this much for an AD to turn around and hire another coordinator learn on the job up and comer!
I know, and don't call me Shirley.

This... you don't go pull out all the stops to make a guy one of the highest paid AD's in America then settle for a coordinator... We are past that point now..

Reactions: preacherwebb
this is exactly right. Let this guy go to a place like Mississippi state or Vandy first to prove he can do it before bringing him here to Knoxville.
Yeah, let Him go to another 3-8 team before He comes to this 3-8 team, makes perfect sense.

The AD was a good hire. That said, he is in Florida and so are his coaches. Look how Frost performed at UCF vs Nebraska. That said, look at Tom Allen. They were once worse than Vandy. Hard to recruit even basketball guys there at one point. They were second in Big 10 East and put up 35 against OSU and lost by one TD. No other team put up that many points against OSU. Not even Clemson. And we want to hire Clemson’s OC over him?

Tom Allen has it all. Experienced HC building a much program in much tougher to recruit to area in a Power 5 conference. Proven offensive minded coach but his team had had a good D too as they allowed Kiffin to score fewer points than Bama.

Why I am not hearing this guy’s name more I have no idea.
1611403026885.png

Napier is not happening. We're not going to the Saban well for a 3rd time..

The sum of his career is substantially more than just his time with Saban. Would you be interested in Matt Campbell? Because Napier walked the dog on Campbell 4 months ago.

The sum of his career is substantially more than just his time with Saban. Would you be interested in Matt Campbell? Because Napier walked the dog on Campbell 4 months ago.
Speaking of sum of career..one fluke game isn’t it. Impressive logic contradiction within three sentences!

Napier is not happening. We're not going to the Saban well for a 3rd time..
He spent just more time with Dabo Sweeney.

Napier has turned that Louisiana program into a legit program. He's not some Saban Coordinator...

Speaking of sum of career..one fluke game isn’t it. Impressive logic contradiction within three sentences!
Louisiana was a better team. There was nothing fluky about it.
They were faster and better prepared.

Because he lost to Pruitt
This is an intellectually lazy take. He’s a really good coach and we only won that game because of a lucky onside kick and because they were playing a backup QB. They would’ve destroyed us with Penix.

Louisiana was a better team. There was nothing fluky about it.
They were faster and better prepared.
It was one game. A fluke at that, with multiple ST touchdowns and a big run for another. 3 plays in an opening season game in which the opponent had COVID issues and a backup kicker.

The point isn’t about Iowa st or UL, I don’t give a **** about either, but the contradiction. To be a proponent of sum of work, then two sentences later so heavily weight a single (fluke) game is telling of the poster’s agenda.

Tony Elliott turned down the Seahawks and Dolphins here in the last week or two in order to stay at Clemson. He's a better coach than most of you are willing to admit. I agree he's not had HC experience, but what HC had experience before given the opportunity? All HC had no experience at one point in time. If the new AD says he's his guy, we have to trust him.
This point about HCs being coordinators at one point is a pointless point to make here. This would be true and a fine point to make if we’re a lower level Power 5 or a school in a smaller conference. But we’re not. We’re a Power 5 school with a tradition that rivals every other school save maybe Bama and ND. We’re also about to get hit with massive sanctions and we just got done playing the coordinator-to-head coach route, it didn’t end well and proved this isn’t a place to learn on the job. We don’t have the 5* recruits to set him up with a good start and our roster is getting depleted by the day. Elliott is a fantastic coach with a fantastic resume, but this isn’t the right time to go that route. I’ll also add that it’s easy to look amazing when you have that 5* talent and are coaching under one of the best the business, but it’s also a huge risk that we just can’t afford at the moment. Rewind the clock 3 years, sure give him the keys, but not now in 2021 after what all we’ve been through.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
This point about HCs being coordinators at one point is a pointless point to make here. This would be true and a fine point to make if we’re a lower level Power 5 or a school in a smaller conference. But we’re not. We’re a Power 5 school with a tradition that rivals every other school save maybe Bama and ND. We’re also about to get hit with massive sanctions and we just got done playing the coordinator-to-head coach route, it didn’t end well and proved this isn’t a place to learn on the job. We don’t have the 5* recruits to set him up with a good start and our roster is getting depleted by the day. Elliott is a fantastic coach with a fantastic resume, but this isn’t the right time to go that route. I’ll also add that it’s easy to look amazing when you have that 5* talent and are coaching under one of the best the business, but it’s also a huge risk that we just can’t afford at the moment. Rewind the clock 3 years, sure give him the keys, but not now in 2021 after what all we’ve been through.

How did Fuller get his HC start? Pruitt? Saban started out at a P5. Mullen and Stoops to name a few. UT isn't nlany of a better P5 and any other school. Right now we are far below most as in appeal.

VN Store

Back