White and UT could use any OU Smoke to our advantage.

complete speculation, but IDK how spiffy CJH is on OU. Yeah he played there and was an OC, but his former head coach got him fired/released with support of the AD I think because Bob Stoops wanted to keep his brother in at DC. Bob Stoops seems to still have real clout at OU and the same AD still runs the school…just food for though.

This definitely happened; however the odd thing that year their offense was better and they scored more points vs 2013 (33 points vs 36 points)……..the major problem was their defense was much worse in 2014………Stoops had to do something to save face going 8-5……..and he wasn’t going to fire Mike.

Heupel definitely got a raw deal.

This definitely happened; however the odd thing that year their offense was better and they scored more points vs 2013 (33 points vs 36 points)……..the major problem was their defense was much worse in 2014………Stoops had to do something to save face going 8-5……..and he wasn’t going to fire Mike.

Heupel definitely got a raw deal.

Heupel’s offensive play calling was becoming predictable.

Heupel’s offensive play calling was becoming predictable.

Very well may be the case.

However the O scores 36+ a game……..when in 2013 they scored 32+ per game.

In 2013 the D gave up 22 points per game………nothing amazing, but in 2014 the D gave up 26 points per game.

The O gains 3+ points per
The D lost 4 points per

If anyone……who should be fired?

Also in 2014 Oklahoma was around 50th in D………and inside the top 20 on O.

Last edited:
Yeah? I can remember reports of some mighty big numbers being thrown at some coaches by UT over the years and guys like Gundy and Franklin didn't seem to listen. Sometimes it's more than just money.
Hard to compare coaching vacancies at OU and TN. A coach who may have passed on TN could be very open to discussing a job at OU with a good roster, more stability and no known investigations.

Bob Stoops is acting interim coach until the position is filled.

Any Heupel OK smoke would probably work against Tennessee’s favor.

If there were any possibility whatsoever the best possible outcome would be Tennessee paying him more……….Tennessee don’t need no more stinking contract extensions year one…….that’s for sure.

I’m all in on Heupel. I definitely want Heupel to stay; however, in no way does Tennessee need to get back into the extension business this soon again.

I don't see why not, We should have a coach payoff built into the budget as a line item. In all seriousness, do an extension. We have had 5 shots at this (coach replacement).
Which is 1/5 is 20%
I would hate to go 2 /10.

The coaching turnover is getting ready to heat up because of several reasons. Plus we have a coach with an offense that offers a lot of creative and expandable options. I like those odds if CJH can recruit depth on both Sides with more strength and stamina defensively.

Better watch out!!! Santa is coming to town.

We need a coach that can coach it and can provide a defensive coordinator with ways to limit it (not using the KIFFIN Play Dead Defense). Face it Kiffin knows this style of offense and this was his answer to defeat it.

We improved all season long on both sides of the ball. The Defense got stronger during our Grind Schedule. That has been the best part of the season for me to watch, Seeing the defense endure that part of the Schedule with little depth and still playing solid for 2.5 to 3.5 quarters is an accomplishment.

Time Of Possession was a killer at times, but they survived with some pretty bad officiating.

Pay the extension, do a reasonable buyout. Teams will shop Heupel...Do you want a coach or Not. We know how to pay off coaches and it will get higher and I would rather get negotiations over with before it starts.

Bottom Line: This is why we hired Danny F---*** White was to deal with the mess and problems. So sit back and relax....I am sure he will do the Right Thing.

I agree though -- extensions can go sideways and increasing pay every year with incentives are good but make sure that they always have a 4+ year lock-in because of recruiting.... Oh wait that is an extension.

Just call the AD he will figure it out....

Must have drunk too much Bourbon.....

Last edited:
I don't see why not, We should have a coach payoff built into the budget as a line item. In all seriousness, do an extension. We have had 5 shots at this (coach replacement).
Which is 1/5 is 20%
I would hate to go 2 /10.

The coaching turnover is getting ready to heat up because of several reasons. Plus we have a coach with an offense that offers a lot of creative and expandable options. I like those odds if CJH can recruit depth on both Sides with more strength and stamina defensively.

Better watch out!!! Santa is coming to town.

We need a coach that can coach it and can provide a defensive coordinator with ways to limit it (not using the KIFFIN Play Dead Defense). Face it Kiffin knows this style of offense and this was his answer to defeat it.

We improved all season long on both sides of the ball. The Defense got stronger during our Grind Schedule. That has been the best part of the season for me to watch, Seeing the defense endure that part of the Schedule with little depth and still playing solid for 2.5 to 3.5 quarters is an accomplishment.

Time Of Possession was a killer at times, but they survived with some pretty bad officiating.

Pay the extension, do a reasonable buyout. Teams will shop Heupel...Do you want a coach or Not. We know how to pay off coaches and it will get higher and I would rather get negotiations over with before it starts.

Bottom Line: This is why we hired Danny F---*** White was to deal with the mess and problems. So sit back and relax....I am sure he will do the Right Thing.

I agree though -- extensions can go sideways and increasing pay every year with incentives are good but make sure that they always have a 4+ year lock-in because of recruiting.... Oh wait that is an extension.

Just call the AD he will figure it out....

Must have drunk too much Bourbon.....

yea

However that’s what I’m saying………none of this does any “favors” for Tennessee.

Best case scenario………..Tennessee simply has to pay more money.

The title of this thread is they could use all this to their advantage………I’m saying, no……..the only person who could benefit would be Heupel………Tennessee “gains” nothing whatsoever……..they can only lose……lose a coach or lose more $$.

I’m certainly hopeful Heupel stays at Tennessee……..however having to pay more just because of smoke signals is dumb…….we all been there before…….and it’s no “advantage.”

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
I thought the same thing. He should put out a statement removing himself (assuming he’s willing to remove himself lol)…it’s be some solid pr. Hell every damn coach in America does it to us every time we’re looking.

complete speculation, but IDK how spiffy CJH is on OU. Yeah he played there and was an OC, but his former head coach got him fired/released with support of the AD I think because Bob Stoops wanted to keep his brother in at DC. Bob Stoops seems to still have real clout at OU and the same AD still runs the school…just food for though.
And supposedly Bob Stoops is interim coach and will be involved in the hiring process. Maybe Heupel won't want to negotiate with the guy that fired him.

I think we are going back to the super staff at LSU instead of a super coach. Something like Bill O'Brien, with Dan Lanning and Doug Marrone. Similar to Texas or Georgia when they first started. If you cab compete with Nick Saban or Lincoln Riley then you get a bunch of pieces together to make it competitive. Recruiting in LA, Texas, and the rest of the SE will get them back in any picture quickly.

I thought the same thing. He should put out a statement removing himself (assuming he’s willing to remove himself lol)…it’s be some solid pr. Hell every damn coach in America does it to us every time we’re looking.
Indeed they do.

Personally, I think LSU is screwed. Napier went to UF, other hot coaches just signed new contacts, and Riley is off to the West Coast. And I don’t think Fickell is an SEC guy, he will hold out for a a big 10 job.
Stoops leaving KY is probably their best shot

Stoops isn't leaving Kentucky, unless brother Bob comes calling. And even then, he likely will say no. Kentucky has historically been a doormat program, Stoops has given them a tablespoon of success, for which the UK is eternally grateful. Stoops knows the UK and fans would lick his rump to keep him there, they'll fight for him. Stoops will hang around until he does, or it is slammed home he can't get the UK to at least an SECC. Then, and only then, will he entertain offers elsewhere. His stock would be a mile and half high if he brings them that far. It's a case of Stoops and the UK telling each other, "I need you."

HOWEVER, there is a scene that would and probably will change. When OU is in the SEC, and if they are clambering for him, he'd jump. Figuring he'd have a better chance to making the championships with OU than UK.

Who really wins though? Momma.... you wouldn't see a dollar increase in your allowance!
That’s right…. Momma like to complain that she’s not getting paid for the work she does at the warehouse, while in reality she’s the one with all the coin.

Reactions: tntar heel

VN Store

Back