Whisky, bourbon or scotch and what's your favorite?

Bought a handle of Evan Williams Black label that was on sale, surprisingly good!

How new to bourbon are you? What have you had before?

The show was "Bourbon". I honestly didn't know the history, chemistry, method, etc. Mind you, my maternal grandfather was a 'shiner in East Tennessee. I actually met Popcorn Sutton many, many years ago. (Damn shame about what happened to him, BTW)

So, I'm that new. But I do love to "study"...

:cool:

The show was "Bourbon". I honestly didn't know the history, chemistry, method, etc. Mind you, my maternal grandfather was a 'shiner in East Tennessee. I actually met Popcorn Sutton many, many years ago. (Damn shame about what happened to him, BTW)

So, I'm that new. But I do love to "study"...

:cool:
I recommend buying airplane bottles so you can taste the differences side by side and figure out what you prefer. Trying different mash bills is a good way to get started. Between Wild Turkey and Bulleit you can get a good spectrum - all I believe are available in airplane bottles and they’re not expensive.
Wild Turkey 81 is low rye bourbon
Bulleit Bourbon is high rye bourbon
Wild Turkey straight rye is a Kentucky rye whiskey (just over 50% rye)
Bulleit Stright rye is 95% rye

If you want a little fancier and even more variety you could work your way through the Woodford lineup. Try their wheat whiskey, bourbon, and rye. And then a different barreling technique in their double oaked. All of their whiskeys are generally crowd pleasers so o don’t think you’d go wrong there either

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
So, Woodford is bourbon, right? Jack as well? Just got off Wikipedia.

If so, I already know...and like...bourbon.

Edit: I misspoke. The title of the show on Hulu is "Neat".

Last edited:
I don't do neat - prefer an ice cube. Enjoy!

Yeah, I've been addicted to Gentleman Jack and Woodford Reserve for years. I usually do two fingers over ice. I just found that Hulu show fascinating, as I really did not know the history of bourbon.

Yeah, I've been addicted to Gentleman Jack and Woodford Reserve for years. I usually do two fingers over ice. I just found that Hulu show fascinating, as I really did not know the history of bourbon.
Oh I was under the impression you were just trying bourbon for the first time. Double oak then is a good one to try if you like regular woodford. Barrel finishing has become a popular way to get younger whiskies to market

You should also try some higher proof whiskies. Try with and without water. Sometimes makes a big difference. Makers Cask and Old Forrester Prohibition are both accessible higher proof whiskies

You should also try some higher proof whiskies. Try with and without water. Sometimes makes a big difference. Makers Cask and Old Forrester Prohibition are both accessible higher proof whiskies

I’ll second the 1920, stuff is great.

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof is great too.

I'm not much of a liquor drinker. Mostly beer. I have made it a personal quest to keep Yeungling in business, and profitable. But from time to time I do like a glass of good liquor. Being a TN Native, I stuck to Jack out of "brand loyalty". But I have a few friends who fancy themselves sophisticates, and so I've tried a few other brands here and there. Years ago, I worked a personal security detail for a PGA player at what was then the McGladrey Classic (never again!), and when he left his suite at Sea Island we were told we could have any of the beverages left, so I ended up with my first bottle of Woodford Reserve. Loved it, and it helped erase some of the memories of dealing with people who are, well...in their minds, just simply better than us.

It was that show on Hulu that really opened my eyes, and got me to thinking. Hence my arrival here.

Thanks for all the advice. I pretty much already know what I'm getting with WRdo, so let's see what happens after that. Of course, there's always a jar of East Tennessee's finest (legal, of course) true moonshine in my fridge, so...

'preciate the info, and the advice.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Picked up a bottle of Heaven Hill 6 year while in bowling green the other day, and for $12 it’s a damn solid pour.

Any opinions on Yamazaki 12? Worth the price? I love scotch, but I've never had the Japanese variety.

Was able to snag some 4 Roses Single Barrel OESK store pick from McScrooge's last weekend. Haven't tried it yet.

Reactions: golfballs

VN Store

Back