Whisky, bourbon or scotch and what's your favorite?

To me its the only one ive found that is worth every penny. Ive bout 10-12 real expensive bottles and so far, found something much cheaper that is just as good. Blantons seems to be the exception.
I feel ya there. You usually get what you pay for, but it's not always the case. Once ordered a 15yr macallan on the rocks at this boujee pub in my town. Terrible and over-priced.

Reactions: volfannbama
@Proud Army Wife
Hey to answer your question, my favorite is Blantons and its not even close. Good luck finding it unless you live near Kentucky. I have one bottle of Pappy Van Winkle, its sorta the crown jewel of bourbons. Im saving mine for a special occasion in novemeber this year.

For me, ive always been a jack daniels drinker, no 7 and 27. And I still drink it alot. When I first got into bourbon, I got caught up in the sought after name brands, pappy, weller, blantons, whistle pig, col e.h. Taylor, goerge t stagg, william larue weller, heaven hill 27 etc.
I have learned that there are lots of good bourbons in the 20-40 range that are really good.
I use heaven hill and buffalo trace to mix ol fashions. But if im drinking neat, some of my favorites are stranahans and Breckenridge (colorado) Redemption, tin cup, four roses single barrell, irons one, jeffers creek (similair to weller), angel envy, high west (all types) TX, 1792.
Some of the more expensive that I have that are great are jefferson ocean, bookers, Clyde mays 10 year.

A few tips.....
Read the website breakingbourbon, gives a review of everything and gives release updates.
Bourbons even in the same brand are very different, for instance four roses single barrell select is much different than four roses.
Bourbon snobs will tell you if it isnt make in kentucky, it isnt bourbon. But there are some great bourbons made in lots of places, short mountain in tennessee, Chattanooga 1816, texas, colorado, Louisiana etc.
If you are ever in a store and see the following, but as much as you can afford, you can resell with a profit easily.....Pappy Van Winkle (likely will never see it, theres a website called pursuit of pappy that will help you find it to try), Blantons, William Larue Weller, Weller Special Reserve, Belle Meade Honey. If you ever find pappy, blantons, or belle meade honey ill buy all you have. The others you can resale about anywhere.

Saw Blanton’s at a bar and tried it after remembering your praise for it. Thought it was damn good.

Also tried Blade and Bow. It was decent, but probably wouldn’t get it again

Reactions: volfannbama
If I had a bucket list, a distillery tour of Scotland would be on it. I think a full summer would do the trick.

Saw Blanton’s at a bar and tried it after remembering your praise for it. Thought it was damn good.

Also tried Blade and Bow. It was decent, but probably wouldn’t get it again
Bandb is okay, but yeah, I wouldnt but it. Lots of stuff coming out all the time. I tried Yippy kay yah, High West the other day..real good as well.
For blantons, yeah it's awesome. I think ill have to make a trip to kentucky soon and stock up, cant ever find it in alabama.

Irons one is releasing saturday and ill be out of town, hate to miss it.

Tomorrow's game will decide what my drink of choice is tomorrow night......either my Macallan #4, or Jack Daniels

Everyone likes Blanton's. It's an easy drinker, and I'll buy it if I stumble across it. But, I don't really hunt for it anymore. I just don't find it very interesting.

For a lot less trouble, there are tons of great and unique store picks out there for less money. At least four liquor stores in Knoxville have excellent Maker's Mark Private Select picks right now for $60, and each one is different. A couple weeks ago I bought a 15 year old, 120 proof Knob Creek Single Barrel Select store pick for $42, and it is incredible. I think that one is already sold out already, unfortunately. Also picked up a $50 Jefferson's Reserve store pick that, while not as complex as the other two I mentioned, goes down as easily as Blanton's.

I guess my point is that store picks can be a great way to get excellent bourbon without chasing unicorns. If you're looking for a gift, it's also a good way to get a bourbon drinker something unique. Oh, and most stores can give you a sample of their picks.

If I had a bucket list, a distillery tour of Scotland would be on it. I think a full summer would do the trick.
A distillery tour in Scotland can be accomplished in one day. Or go to several in different towns over several days. There is a distillery on every corner. At least it seems that way.
The natives can suggest which ones to visit. Beautiful country. Wonderful people.

A distillery tour in Scotland can be accomplished in one day. Or go to several in different towns over several days. There is a distillery on every corner. At least it seems that way.
The natives can suggest which ones to visit. Beautiful country. Wonderful people.

Oh yeah, no single day ride for me. If I'm emptying that bucket, I'm shooting for all of them. Leave no turn unstoned.

Reactions: OG.V83
Are you in FL? I was in a liquor store last week and a customer asked about Weller which they didnt have. The manager said the vast majority of stock is allocated to CA TX and FL. The customer said he had friends in TX and they have no issue buying it.
No I’m not. Seems crazy there would be inventory gluts among the states like that for such a high demand whiskey.

Last edited:
Reactions: OG.V83
Hmmm, looks like that applies to single malts. Johnny Walker must have a guy on the inside working the administration. lol

Or Trump has a single malt affiliation. He also put a tariff on French wine and I'm almost positive I read one time that he has a winery.

Reactions: pismonque
i drank many old fashioneds in Nashville last weekend. Yum yum yum. One had Belle Meade bourbon , which is local to the area. It was very tasty.

Picked this up today. Aged for 13 years and bottled at 100 proof. Will try it out tomorrow.

i drank many old fashioneds in Nashville last weekend. Yum yum yum. One had Belle Meade bourbon , which is local to the area. It was very tasty.
They have another brand. Green Brier whiskey. Two brothers. They have attempted to recreate their great, great, great grandfather's recipe which was the first whiskey produced in TN. At least that is what was on TV about two weeks ago.

Drove through the midstate today and stopped at several places along the way. Couldn’t believe the bottles that are never on the shelves in Knoxville for more than an hour. Stagg Jr, Blanton’s, OWA 107, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, WSR. All terribly over priced, though. Eagle Rare and E.H. Taylor small batch was everywhere as well (mostly for reasonable prices). Even saw a 1.75L Eagle Rare.

Just purchased the Pinhook straight bourbon, dedicated to the racehorse Bourbon War. It's bottled at 98 proof, is 4 years old, and this is one of the smoothest bourbons I've ever had. Highly recommend if you can find it.

Just purchased the Pinhook straight bourbon, dedicated to the racehorse Bourbon War. It's bottled at 98 proof, is 4 years old, and this is one of the smoothest bourbons I've ever had. Highly recommend if you can find it.
impressive for only 4 years

VN Store

Back