Which Women's Coaches Would Jump

Any of them. The Lady Vols could get anybody except for Geno.

Seriously? Did you not learn from the CPF firing days? That was the prevailing message from a heap of detractors... ANYBODY logic can get you in big trouble and you end up Kiffins and Dooleys.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Announcers just said that LV are only team to be in every NCAA tourney in the history of women‘ s tourney. CHW about to break another record

Reactions: CuzzyT
Longshot:
Becky Hammon

Heard this name being mention too. However, many are saying she's sticking to the NBA because she's trying to be the first women's head coach in the NBA. I think if UT were to call her, she would come running for a chance to coach the Lady Vols. Holly can stay in the program but Head Coach should be stripped from her name.

My choices;
Nikki McCray (Fargis)
Dawn Staley
Becky Hammon
Jeff Wez

Reactions: Remy and Vol girl
Back the truck up at Wes Moore's front door! The man can coach! I watched him dominate at UT Chattanooga for years and now he has NC State in first place in the ACC. He was my pick back when Pat stepped down.
Wes would restore the LVs to a national power. However, he is not coming. Holly's salary is greater than his at NC State but you know NC State will match any offer from UT. Also, his wife is from North Carolina.

Reactions: mcannon1
Wes would restore the LVs to a national power. However, he is not coming. Holly's salary is greater than his at NC State but you know NC State will match any offer from UT. Also, his wife is from North Carolina.

Again with this Wes isn't coming crap! First UT can and if Fulmer actually wants the LV to return to prominence beat ANY offer out there for a coach much less crappy NC State. Our athletic revenue was 11th while NC State was 47th. A difference of about 50 plus million. They don't pay him as well as we do crappy Holly because they cannot afford to do it. As far as his wife's family money can trump a lot of things, and a short plane trip, seriously like 30 mins can get her back home to see family anytime she wants. I am sure Wes loves NC State, however he was a GA under Pat, graduated from here, coached right down the road not once, but two different teams with Maryville and UTC. Those that know him personally really think it wouldn't take much thinking for him to come back home.

Reactions: MocVol and Momto2
Again with this Wes isn't coming crap! First UT can and if Fulmer actually wants the LV to return to prominence beat ANY offer out there for a coach much less crappy NC State. Our athletic revenue was 11th while NC State was 47th. A difference of about 50 plus million. They don't pay him as well as we do crappy Holly because they cannot afford to do it. As far as his wife's family money can trump a lot of things, and a short plane trip, seriously like 30 mins can get her back home to see family anytime she wants. I am sure Wes loves NC State, however he was a GA under Pat, graduated from here, coached right down the road not once, but two different teams with Maryville and UTC. Those that know him personally really think it wouldn't take much thinking for him to come back home.

This... he would come here in a heartbeat.

I can sense your frustration with my post. Please forgive me. What I should have said is, Wes Moore will not be given a chance to become the HC at UT. Regardless of her won-loss record, both Phil and Holly are determined to keep her in that position and earning approximately $700,000 a year.

She's gone at the end of the season unless something miraculous happens. She could very well be gone before then if this losing streak continues.

Reactions: sisaq
I can sense your frustration with my post. Please forgive me. What I should have said is, Wes Moore will not be given a chance to become the HC at UT. Regardless of her won-loss record, both Phil and Holly are determined to keep her in that position and earning approximately $700,000 a year.

She is a dead coach walking, either by Phils hand or her own she won't be back next year! Phil will see afternoon the season that last years 2 million lost was a drop in the bucket compared to this years with even fewer butts in the seats. He won't be able to overlook that loss!

Last edited:
Your area the one that tried to drag UT down and Summit and prop Staley up with what you posted! So again what was her record against UT and Pat? You are the one that opened your mouth up and I also support my friends but when they suck at something I also let them know and keep it real! Holly is a terrible coach, been proven in the 7 years coaching the program and dragging it to new lows, so Staley might be friends with Holly and that's great, but Staley doesn't want to see a top notch UT program because it would hurt her program, I mean UT already outrecruitinf USC with a terrible coach on the bench, just imagine what Staley looks like having to fight Ms State and UT every year for top stories in SEC!

It's funny how some try to mention her accomplishments.. This women was handed a great team, any great coach would've used that team get to final 4 even win championships. Let her go to WNBA see how long she last.

She's gone at the end of the season unless something miraculous happens. She could very well be gone before then if this losing streak continues.

Nothing will happen she's done. She had blamed it on injuries, young, fans not being there, wat else.

Keep an eye on how UCF does against UConn today. Their coach is an up and comer with a pretty good record...

Niele Ivey has too much of a quiet personality for my liking. I think she's better off as an assistant/Recruiter.

Kara Lawson is a very good commentator, highly intelligent and knows the game.... but there's more to coaching than just knowing the game. I'd like to see Kara be an assistant for a couple of years before she gets a Head Coaching gig. It would give us a preview of Kara's coaching style and on-court personality/demeanor.

My short list of Coaches(i'm sure there are more):
Gail Goestenkors
Brenda Frese

I don't think Frese is a tier 1 coach, but she has a lot of fire and is very demanding of her players. Frese holds her players accountable, unlike Warlick

Two Darkhorses:
Nikki Fargas
Sherri Coale

LSU, nor Oklahoma have done much over the last couple of seasons...However, I think location and lack of school prestige has a lot to do with it. Let's be serious. How many top out of state recruits have Louisiana/Oklahoma at the top of their list of places they want to Live,play or go to school....I believe Vargas and Coale could turn this program around.

Longshot:
Becky Hammon
Becky Hammon has been my pick for a long time and may not be too long a shot-- she wants a HC job in the NBA but that's tough- don't forget Florida made an offer and she considered it-- not enough $$$$- UT offer big 6 figures and control- she will bring immediate results- watch how she coaches up the guys on the Spurs- imagine what she would do with LV-- she was great college and pro player and now a great coach-- Im telling ya - push the name

Attachments

• B hammon.jpg
    B hammon.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Hammon 2.jpg
    Hammon 2.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 5
Becky Hammon has been my pick for a long time and may not be too long a shot-- she wants a HC job in the NBA but that's tough- don't forget Florida made an offer and she considered it-- not enough $$$$- UT offer big 6 figures and control- she will bring immediate results- watch how she coaches up the guys on the Spurs- imagine what she would do with LV-- she was great college and pro player and now a great coach-- Im telling ya - push the name

My dream coaching staff:
Becky Hammon as head coach, and then pray to God that Hammon hires Kara Lawson as her top assistant, Sharrona Reeves as her recruiting coordinator, Tina Thompson or Candace Parker to work with posts, and one other HUGELY important, brilliant offensive mastermind. I just don’t know who that might be! lol

Heard this name being mention too. However, many are saying she's sticking to the NBA because she's trying to be the first women's head coach in the NBA. I think if UT were to call her, she would come running for a chance to coach the Lady Vols. Holly can stay in the program but Head Coach should be stripped from her name.

My choices;
Nikki McCray (Fargis)
Dawn Staley
Becky Hammon
Jeff Wez

I can tell by your knowledgeable post, that you are a long time Lady Vols and women's college basketball fan.

My choices;
Nikki McCray (Fargis)
Dawn Staley
Becky Hammon
Jeff Wez

I don't see Becky leaving the NBA, she'll be a GM or head coach eventually and that is impossible to pass up. She would be the first woman in history, I imagine that would be a much bigger priority for her than trying to right a sinking ship of a program.

Nikki hasn't done a dang thing since she left UCLA, she has many of the same problems with her teams that Holly does.

Dawn is a reasonable choice, but hard to believe she would leave SC after the success she has had there, would be like Pat leaving UT after her first Championship. If it ain't broke don't fix it. She also isn't having any trouble getting top recruits to come to SC, which many felt she would simply due to location.

Jeff Walz is far too volatile for my liking, I think he is an excellent coach, but again, why leave? His teams are great, they play in the Yum center in front of massive crowds and they have consistent success. Plus he's a homegrown Kentucky boy and loves being in Kentucky as he has said many times.

My picks would be:

Kelly Graves, he can flat coach and his players always look confident, he develops fantastic guards, they rarely hesitate to take a shot and I would love to see someone women in Orange play like that.

Lindsay Whalen (thought I doubt she would leave her Alma Mater), but I think she will be a premier coach in the next couple of years and she is young.

I also really like Sue Semrau at Florida State, she consistently has teams over perform based on pre-season expectations and has developed some extremely good players who were under recruited in HS.

My #1 choice would be Scott Rueck at Oregon State, I think he would jump at the job and in the last 5 or so seasons he has done more with less than any other coach in the nation. Has taken a bunch of under recruited players deep in the tournament several times. With our fan base, talent draw and location I think he could take us back to the top.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back