Which QB would you play this week?

• JG, He practices really well

Votes: 33 11.5%
  • Shrout, can't be worse than JG

Votes: 181 63.1%
  • Jauan Jennings, cause why not at this point

Votes: 73 25.4%

• Total voters
How in the world can we change offensive philosophy mid season to and entirely different play style? I’ve read this several places and it just doesn’t make sense. Does anyone on the entire staff have any knowledge of the veer and wishbone concepts. This isn’t madden where you can just change plays and they work. It’s a fairly complicated blocking scheme and we just now got to where we can zone block....a little

OK.

Shrout isn't ready.

I don't know what you would do. JG, right now, is better than Shrout.

The only downside is that JG is horrible.

RIP.

More than the QB, Tim Jordan needs to be #1 RB and continue to develop identity of a team who runs down hill, works off play action, and goes down field every so often, while continuing improvement in D. OL is coming around. All this being said, SC is playing well, and going to be a challenge w/o Maurer.
Jordan is a beast. Pleasant surprise. I'm concerned going against their D. Chaney got his work cut out for him this week. I hope he's got some surprises up his sleeve cause it will take creativity on offense to be successful in this game. I'd sit out JG and start JJ for wildcat/read option, and Shrout for the long throws. I think our defense handles business though. It's a toss up game imo. If Maurer was ok to play I think we handle them no problem.

I'd see how good Shrout is handing the ball off and taking the occasional shot down field. Worked against MS ST where they only attempted 14 total passes.

Guarantano is a complete liability at this point and trotting him out is eventually gonna cause friction within the team if it hasn't already.

Reactions: cgrish
Solid insight there

Perhaps. I'm acknowledging your response makes sense but there are times a less sensible thing makes the most sense. In these times that try Vol souls, strange things can and do happen. This might not be the best example for an analogy, just the same, to wit:

Gurgen Dalibaltayan (Armenian: 5 June 1926 – 1 September 2015) was an Armenian military commander. He was the Chief of General Staff of Armenian Armed Forces during the 1992 Battle of Shusha, a battle to capture the city from Azerbaijan. He is credited with devising a strategy to assault the strongly fortified town of Shusha using diversionary attacks against adjacent villages to draw out the defenders of the town while the commander of troops, Arkady Ter-Tatevosyan, encircled the town and cut off reinforcements. His strategy is generally considered impossible, or at least implausible, as he was originally outnumbered. General military tactics suggest a force of three times the defender's size to successfully storm and win.

I'd see how good Shrout is handing the ball off and taking the occasional shot down field. Worked against MS ST where they only attempted 14 total passes.

Guarantano is a complete liability at this point and trotting him out is eventually gonna cause friction within the team if it hasn't already.

On the other hand, the friction may only be on VN Forum.

Reactions: LordVOLdemort
He "protects the ball better" because he is so risk averse that he won't throw unless a receiver is uncovered. USCe and Mizzou are too good on D for that to work. JG is way too easy to defend. Even with a better D and running game, playing him virtually guarantees no bowl... when UT has 3 "should wins" left on the schedule and only needs to go 1 for 2 against USCe and Mizzou.

Like Pruitt said before the Bama game, UT would have been 4-2 with good QB play. JG is not "good".
I’m with you. Just don’t think we have a chance if our QB throws 3 interceptions. We’re in a tough spot.

If jg plays we lose. We wont see as good of a defense, ol play team doesnt believe in him. If maurer cant play our best chance is with shrout. Take a look at our record with jg starting. 1 win against Chattanooga. Sc much much better than byu or ga. St. Imo the rest of team stepped up when maurer started the game. Jg starts u will see a regression on whole team, shrout should be given a chance.
Shrout is not ready at all, JG managed the 2nd half of the Miss State game and threw the game sealing TD. SC is on par if not better than Miss State, you cannot chance an unprepared Shrout. I get it, JG has disappointed greatly but he is experienced and if they create a ball control gameplan and do not leave it up to him to win the game, then UT can win this game.

No way in hell I'd start JG. I'd do a combo of JJ and Shrout. Obviously I have no say, but JG is done at QB for Tennessee if I did.

Shrout with Bittner at back up. Unfair to JJ to move him from WR to QB. If he has NFL potential it's at WR and he needs to not be put in a bad spot at QB because we somehow can't get anything out of a redshirt junior that looks any better than a true freshman. I don't blame JG any more for anything that happens. The coaches keep putting him out there and they know what the result is going to be, it's like the old Einstein quote about insanity. The coaches keep putting him on the field and he keeps doing the same things he's always done. Losing football games.

Reactions: 1967vol
I’m with you. Just don’t think we have a chance if our QB throws 3 interceptions. We’re in a tough spot.
Probably not. But we definitely don't have a shot if the QB won't quickly process and make decisions. BM really illustrates what's wrong with JG. That's not to say BM is a finished product or doesn't have issues. He does. But he just instinctively cuts the ball loose where JG over-thinks everything.

Their delivery is also a big difference. JG kind of winds up. BM has a very short compact throwing motion. He gets the ball out much quicker.

The thing that makes the O better with Maurer than JG is that Maurer has no hesitation. He may make a mistake but he's going to make a decision quickly. By doing so, he puts the opposing D on their heels. JG on the other hand waits so long that he misses opportunities. He hesitates. Knowing that, DC's can make him doubt early in the play then just cover the dump downs.

What Pruitt did the other night either rocked JG out of us haze... or pushed him deeper down the hole.

I would ask for tryouts from the student body to walk on and play the best one. Well, maybe not that. It appears that we have no choice but JG if Maurer is out for the game as most of us believe. Butch left us with one QB and the best QB recrit since then is Maurer. It is the 1sr or 2nd weakest position on the team. On paper, we have the best QB recruit in the last few years coming in in January. We need ast least one more QB in the class to have talent and depth on next year's team

I would start the one that CJP and Chaney choose. They know better than us who can do what and they get paid the big bucks to make those decisions. Fans don't have to like the choice. Neither of which seems very appealing at this time.

If you want a chance to win you can’t start Shrout. Jennings package will work for a few plays but unfortunately I think we are stuck with JG for the majority of the snaps. Look for a steady diet of hand-offs

Reactions: LordVOLdemort
This is great news! If Basilio is saying JG, then Shrout is a lock to start against the chickens.
I say put JJ in at qb! The leader of a good fb team most of the time is the qb. This gives us a dual threat which we currently Dont have. He is a leader so put him where most leaders play! Go Big Orange

VN Store

Back