Which one of these coaches would you rather have hired?

Freeze had been cleared by Greg Sankey this year. Your claim was true a year ago, but he was available and wanted the job.
Reports are Kiffin was bidding for the job. I agree with you though - If Kiffin took the UT job, it would have proven he hasn't changed at all.

Kiffin wanted UT to offer him the job so he could use it to get a raise then publicly turn it down and use it as a recruiting tool. Kiffin wanted back in the SEC, he got that with Ole Miss. Last year we didn’t have anything else to offer him that he wanted

Reactions: wmcovol
I hate to contribute to these kinds of conversations but, I watching Miss St dominate a middling ACC school at home right after we lost to one, made me think a little. He wasn’t a home run hire, but he also wouldn’t have been a failure.

Pitt is considerably better than NC State this yr, imo, mostly because of QB play. Pickett may be the best QB we'll see all season, though certainly other teams will have better skill players.

See if you can follow this: Freeze has been cleared by the NCAA. He was at one point under a show-cause penalty; now he is not. The purpose of the show-cause penalty is to warn NCAA member schools that if they hire that particular coach, they could potentially be disciplined for it. The NCAA removes the clause when they deem that the coach has served his time and has a right to get on with his life and career - you know, kind of like the whole justice system works in this country that we live in.

Don't you think that if the NCAA wanted to punish any school that hired Freeze or any coach that had once had infractions, regardless of when said coach was hired, that maybe they wouldn't remove the show-cause? Do you think they're really trying to send some sort of secret message that they're pretending Freeze has done his time and has a right to get on with his career, when in truth they really don't mean it? Do you understand that he has been at his present school for three years and has had zero infractions? Do you think it's simply a facade or pretense when the NCAA removes the show clause and they don't really mean it? Do you think for a second that if we had hired Freeze, and then the NCAA had turned around and added even one day to our punishment, that Freeze would not hire a lawyer the second the ruling was announced and sue them into oblivion, as would we?

It's a disingenuous argument with no basis in reality.
No real program is hiring freeze.

Ok smart guy, if that's the case and Freeze was such a sparkling candidate, then why didn't Auburn hire him? Why didn't South Carolina hire him‽ Why didn't Texas hire him‽ Hell, why didn't any freaking power 5 school that had an opening hire him? How's that for reality? I'll hang up and listen.
That argument is every bit as valid as saying Bailey must be the worst QB on our roster because he hasn't gotten to play. I can disprove it very simply: check back in five years and see if Auburn still has the same coach. Then check to see where Freeze is and whether he has had more or less success than the coach Auburn hired instead of him. Then take a glance at SC and see if their current coach has had more or less success than Freeze.

Pitt is considerably better than NC State this yr, imo, mostly because of QB play. Pickett may be the best QB we'll see all season, though certainly other teams will have better skill players.
Maybe they are better. Still a middling ACC program

When you have a down program, the smart move is to hire a guy who successfully rebuilt one or more other program as a head coach. Last time Vols did that was Majors and it worked out pretty well.
Took several years before the vols were successful. Majors took over a bad roster and so did our current coach. I’d guess he will be given time to turn around this leaking ship.

Maybe they are better. Still a middling ACC program

That will probably win 10 games this year and send at least 3-4 players to the draft. People ripping on them really don't understand they a very solid team. 25 returning starters. An NFL caliber QB at the helm. Narduzzi is a good coach too. I really don't understand why anyone expected us to win this game. We were underdogs for a reason.

Reactions: 08Vol
That argument is every bit as valid as saying Bailey must be the worst QB on our roster because he hasn't gotten to play. I can disprove it very simply: check back in five years and see if Auburn still has the same coach. Then check to see where Freeze is and whether he has had more or less success than the coach Auburn hired instead of him. Then take a glance at SC and see if their current coach has had more or less success than Freeze.
This was not about if Freeze would have been a better coach than some other hires. It's about the risk of hiring Freeze this past cycle for any major program. In our case, the NCAA doesn't have to openly say they were punishing us for hiring Freeze. We already have an ongoing investigation for cheating. Hiring Freeze would have certainly factored into the severity of punishment and it never has to be said by them. Sorry, but this is just common sense.

That will probably win 10 games this year and send at least 3-4 players to the draft. People ripping on them really don't understand they a very solid team. 25 returning starters. An NFL caliber QB at the helm. Narduzzi is a good coach too. I really don't understand why anyone expected us to win this game. We were underdogs for a reason.
I get why we were underdogs. But that’s kind of the point. We shouldn’t be underdogs in these kinds of games

Some coaches are better as coordinators. Sark is one of them. Pittman has a ceiling and you will see it soon. He is an 8-4 coach at best, and is the type of guy that fits the Arkansas culture. He would struggle here. Leach would be decent but not great. He typically doesn't do great though I think he is a better playcaller than Heupel. I can't remember the other options but the fact of the matter is that we need someone stable, high character, and dependable which is exactly what we have. I don't think Heupel can go any higher than here. This is it for him. His alma mater will never hire him, and if he succeeds here, we will pay and reward him more than anyone else will and could. I honestly don't think the networking of college football really benefits him like it would for some of these other guys.

I have zero complaints about the coaching hire. There are a couple of things that I would like to have seen done differently on Saturday, but the team didn't quit, and they played with heart. I'm not mad about it. We're in a horrible position as a program, and nobody wanted this job. Nothing we can say or do about it. The fact is, we are not good. That's not going to change much this year, or next, or for a few years. Get over it. And until we stick with somebody for a reasonable amount of time and give him the chance to rebuild, it's never going to change. We can't FAHR HEUPEL because we went 7-5 in year 3, or whatever. Just enjoy watching this team get better every week, and year by year.

I get why we were underdogs. But that’s kind of the point. We shouldn’t be underdogs in these kinds of games
Historically yes. Our resources and talent access is much greater, but stability, discipline and development are lacking severely due to the constant turnover of our team. We still have young guys playing and older, more mature teams are going to be hard to beat. That's the terror if Bama. They have so much talent that the talent has time to sit and develop and mature. They are upperclass teams, frequently who have had to develop and scrap just to find the field and are ready. We are in a classic Catch-22

Reactions: 08Vol and Carp
I may be of the minority here, but if we get stable and can build to being a 9-4 team for a few years, I will be thrilled. I know it isn't a NC, but stability will give us an opportunity to go to the next level. We can't with this revolving door.

The coach who was 28-8. We got the right coach! He wanted to be here! He has a dynamic offense!!!! We are playing our tails off on defense!!! He just needs a QB to play average football and we will be fine!!!!!!!!

VN Store

Back