Where Were You March 3 1979?

Senior in HS. Watched it in my living room. One of the great games in UT’s history. I remember thinking this DeVoe feller can coach!

Reactions: MAD
I was three months from being born in June of 79. Glad we finally ended the drought today and won the tournament! GBO!

Reactions: MAD
Still in school.... Sidebar, just realized our student number WAS our social security number.. Right there on the face of our ID. How times have changed.
Bernie and Erny were fun to watch. Stokely rocked. Got to admit though, this years team is special.

View attachment 439244

You posting this makes me wonder if I still have mine tucked away somewhere.

Reactions: ptcarter
I had just moved to Tennessee. I became a Vol fan and I can remember thinking then that the Vols would be a perennial basketball power. It never crossed my mind that I would have to wait until 2022 for a repeat.

But it is glorious! GBO!

Wow, I had just moved from Nashville to Ocean Springs MS just east of Biloxi on a job assignment . It was supposed to be a long term residential real estate deal but during all the due diligence the following Sept. the coast was visited by Hurricane Frederick and a move to another office in Memphis was triggered. Have not enjoyed anything coastal since.

I started my co-op work in Chattanooga that winter quarter.... I remember it happening on a Saturday night but I think I listened on the radio to the GOAT John Ward.... I also remember one of my new coworkers who when to Connecticut telling me about how great the basketball was in this new conference I had never heard of.... the big east or something like that.

Reactions: DuckInAPen and MAD
Spent quite a bit of time in those dives as well. $2 pitchers of Schlitz Malt Liquor after 9 PM.

At Sam and Andy's, I usually went with a hoagie on dark. But in the game room/deli inside Shelborne Towers right outside Horizon's, for some reason, I always went a turkey and cheddar on white.

I loved living on campus. If there wasn't anything happening down on The Strip, you could usually find something interesting to do at Horizons or Hymies. If not, a short drive down Alcoa Hwy to Uncle Sam's was in order.

Last edited:
Wasn’t born until 91. Never seen a mens tournament championship
Johnny is from Springfield-I remember once he came back to Springfield High (I think it was close to Christmas and maybe the team was on break) anyway he was in the gym shooting baskets by himself on the main floor. I was a sophomore and this was during our PE class. He shot from all over the court and never hit anything but the bottom of the net. Of course he wasn't being guarded but it was still impressive.

Lessee...March the 3rd...19 and a 79...falafel street vendor, front gate of the US embassy, Tehran. It's hotter than dammit, and I'm up to my bunghole in spoiling goat cheese and customers in a cranky mood. I'm listening to the Vol Network on my Philco clock radio, and some ya-hoo in a Kentucky blue turban starts running that yapper about "go big bluuieee", or some such nonsense. I pulled out a salami and whacked him on the head. A lance corporal on break popped off a "GBO MOFOS". The crowd went wild and it was on.

Hat tip to Tim Wilson. RIP

Lessee...March the 3rd...19 and a 79...falafel street vendor, front gate of the US embassy, Tehran. It's hotter than dammit, and I'm up to my bunghole in spoiling goat cheese and customers in a cranky mood. I'm listening to the Vol Network on my Philco clock radio, and some ya-hoo in a Kentucky blue turban starts running that yapper about "go big bluuieee", or some such nonsense. I pulled out a salami and whacked him on the head. A lance corporal on break popped off a "GBO MOFOS". The crowd went wild and it was on.

Hat tip to Tim Wilson. RIP

Nailed it. I knew it was the TW bit after reading the first sentence.

I was working at Rust Engineering in Birmingham. Getting ready to move to St. Louis. I was 31.

Go VOLS

Last edited:
Reactions: MAD and Pacer92
5 years old. I was playing with my Evil Knievel wind up toy, Godzilla that was about 2 foot tall, Large robot thing that i can't remember what his deal was. Things are kind of fuzzy now from that time period.

Reactions: MAD and Pacer92

VN Store

Back