Where We Started and Where We Are

chargervol

Coke Zero is hard to snort
On how Tennessee’s talent compares to past big-time programs he coached at …
“I think we have a lot of really good players on our football team. I think some of the guys were younger. I think our strength and conditioning staff has done a really good job with our nutrition staff, getting them bigger and stronger. We look different. There’s several offensive linemen that’s gained 40 pounds in the last year. You’re talking about a guy who goes from 270 to 310, now he’s ready to play in this league.

You can see it with our team, and we’ve got to do a good in recruiting and evaluating and getting the right guys in there. And I think we’ve done that. We’ve got to continue to do that.”
Pruitt

What Jeremy Pruitt said during appearance on 'The Paul Finebaum Show'

Tennessee is somewhere in the middle of the SEC, or that’s where it seems they should be.
If a few players overachieve, the Vols could possibly be in the upper 40%.........if

Reactions: dduncan4163
Paul Finebaum asked CJP to give himself a grade for the first year. CJP replied, "5 and 7. That's my grade".
Yep, I have no doubt left about what he wants. Some want to be *A coach, he wants to be a winning coach, period. Doesn't mean he can... But I don't see just keeping his job as the goal.

Mods, I saw @dduncan4163 started another thread, you can just merge mine. Just wanted to share the weight gains, don't care about keeping the thread.

I like him he's a young coach, he has a huge challenge getting his team back to the upper tier of SEC, I think he be first to say he made mistakes 1st season
and I do think his staff has been upgraded by new coaches ………......…...GO VOLS

On how Tennessee’s talent compares to past big-time programs he coached at …
“I think we have a lot of really good players on our football team. I think some of the guys were younger. I think our strength and conditioning staff has done a really good job with our nutrition staff, getting them bigger and stronger. We look different. There’s several offensive linemen that’s gained 40 pounds in the last year. You’re talking about a guy who goes from 270 to 310, now he’s ready to play in this league.

You can see it with our team, and we’ve got to do a good in recruiting and evaluating and getting the right guys in there. And I think we’ve done that. We’ve got to continue to do that.”
Pruitt

What Jeremy Pruitt said during appearance on 'The Paul Finebaum Show'
Wonder who Pruitt thinks our “a lot of really good players” are.

Wonder who Pruitt thinks our “a lot of really good players” are.
Wouldn't try a guess.
We recruited a lot of players that were supposed to have potential but were never developed. If proper development is playing a role, who knows.

Last year they were the 13th best team, just ahead of Arkansas. Got some work to do to get to middle of the pack imo.

I’m looking for big improvements this year, the offense should be pretty good if the Oline plays sound.
The Defense or Dline is a big question but DB’s and LB’s should be improved
JG in his 3rd year should be very competitive with the addition and guidance of Jim Cheney
This team should win 6 or 7 games..... with a long shot of 8 games

Wouldn't try a guess.
We recruited a lot of players that were supposed to have potential but were never developed. If proper development is playing a role, who knows.
I know who I think the better players on the team are....there are a few that “stand out” on both sides of the ball, at least in terms of potential and in relation to the rest of the guys. Pruitt is obviously a much, much better evaluator of talent than I am....but I think his “a lot of really good players” was him being very optimistic, perhaps even slightly over the top, maybe in an effort to infuse some confidence into the team. This team, imo, has nowhere near enough “really good players” to state that there’s “a lot” of them.

That all said, right or wrong, I agree with you on the development part....our coaches need to earn their money and show that they can make turn some marginal guys into good, solid SEC players via technique and acumen and S&C gains. And it’s a must that they turn out better players into NFL draft picks. We’ll see if they can do it.

I know who I think the better players on the team are....there are a few that “stand out” on both sides of the ball, at least in terms of potential and in relation to the rest of the guys. Pruitt is obviously a much, much better evaluator of talent than I am....but I think his “a lot of really good players” was him being very optimistic, perhaps even slightly over the top, maybe in an effort to infuse some confidence into the team. This team, imo, has nowhere near enough “really good players” to state that there’s “a lot” of them.

That all said, right or wrong, I agree with you on the development part....our coaches need to earn their money and show that they can make turn some marginal guys into good, solid SEC players via technique and acumen and S&C gains. And it’s a must that they turn out better players into NFL draft picks. We’ll see if they can do it.
If you're theory is correct, watching sunshiny, motivational Pruitt should be interesting.

200.gif

Looking back at some of Tennessee's better Olines and Dlines its a real reality check and reminder as to where this team still needs to go, patience has been the word at UT, for like forever.

1559387491824.png

Last year they were the 13th best team, just ahead of Arkansas. Got some work to do to get to middle of the pack imo.
I disagree. Pruitt has completely flipped the roster, S&C hopefully has improved our young guys, coaching staff was upgraded significantly as we replaced our weakest assistant with one of the best OC in the country, defensive staff improved as well. We return a ton as well as a few high profile freshman and transfers, we return an experienced QB who looks to be on the right trajectory as a rising Jr and we have a head coach that refuses mediocrity and fights for this program. The other programs ahead of us do not seem to have made the same improvements nor do they have much returning in my opinion!

Define "Some Work".....We have already surpassed the "Some Work Stage" and I would think we are right at the point of tweaks and balances before we get to the tuning and fine-tuning stages.

Even after we get through the fine-tuning stage, Our end product is not going to be the best in the SEC but it will be well above Average and on pace to get better in the years to come.

I disagree. Pruitt has completely flipped the roster, S&C hopefully has improved our young guys, coaching staff was upgraded significantly as we replaced our weakest assistant with one of the best OC in the country, defensive staff improved as well. We return a ton as well as a few high profile freshman and transfers, we return an experienced QB who looks to be on the right trajectory as a rising Jr and we have a head coach that refuses mediocrity and fights for this program. The other programs ahead of us do not seem to have made the same improvements nor do they have much returning in my opinion!
He’s completely flipped the roster? The roster is comprised of 85 scholarship players.....he’s signed 44 in his first 2 classes. Neither of the transfers he brought in this year has gotten a waiver to play in 2019 so we have no idea if they’ll be eligible.

Agree with you that the S&C program is much better and that he’s upgraded his staff, little to no doubt about either. I also am hopeful that JG continues his improvement and is very good this year. The rest of the stuff you wrote is meh, doesn’t mean much until we see who can contribute. Bring “a ton back” from the next to worst team in the conference last year doesn’t inspire much confidence imo.

In other words.....Tennessee was the 2nd to worst/13th best team in the SEC last year and has a good bit of work to do just to get to the middle of the pack.

He’s completely flipped the roster? The roster is comprised of 85 scholarship players.....he’s signed 44 in his first 2 classes. Neither of the transfers he brought in this year has gotten a waiver to play in 2019 so we have no idea if they’ll be eligible.

Agree with you that the S&C program is much better and that he’s upgraded his staff, little to no doubt about either. I also am hopeful that JG continues his improvement and is very good this year. The rest of the stuff you wrote is meh, doesn’t mean much until we see who can contribute. Bring “a ton back” from the next to worst team in the conference last year doesn’t inspire much confidence imo.

In other words.....Tennessee was the 2nd to worst/13th best team in the SEC last year and has a good bit of work to do just to get to the middle of the pack.

I wouldn’t even consider Pruitt’s first class to be entirely his own. There wasn’t enough time for him to put his own stamp on it completely. The roster isn’t flipped yet.

I've lost faith in the "hopefully", "should be", "looks to be", and "seems" of the off-season the last 10+ years. No disrespect to the current staff but I'll believe we have a competent OL, etc. when I see one. Based on the product we have seen on the field the last 2 years, not the off-season happy talk, middle of the pack in 2019 would definitely be an improvement.

I've lost faith in the "hopefully", "should be", "looks to be", and "seems" of the off-season the last 10+ years. No disrespect to the current staff but I'll believe we have a competent OL, etc. when I see one. Based on the product we have seen on the field the last 2 years, not the off-season happy talk, middle of the pack in 2019 would definitely be an improvement.

I agree with you. All of this talk is reminiscent of Butch 2.0.

Reactions: Titan05
I agree with you. All of this talk is reminiscent of Butch 2.0.
If talk of our players adding weight and getting bigger reminds you of Butch, you've lost your damn mind.
Now if "slimming down" or "cut", I would agree. But the undersized lineman is one thing I was over. Don't know if their technique will be improved but just being the right size is an improvement. Tired of them being shoved 5yds back.

Last edited:
I think we will be better, I just don't think we are yet in a position where we can take much for granted.

I agree. It's still early. I can't recall where I heard/read the number, but I believe it was 40 or so players on this roster are kids that Pruitt recruited. Might be low, but I still believe we'll have a much better idea of what we have in a coach/staff when they flip this roster. It will then be completely their creation. Can't complain about size, depth or misevaluations then.

VN Store

Back