Where is Michele Marciniak?

yes.
considering she was mvp in 96 when the ladies won it all.
but i guess since it womens you dont think its important.
but there again you are wrong.

I believe she is the assistant coach at South Carolina. I am pretty sure she is still there.

Moosew

Marcinak was a good Pt. guard, If i'm not mistaken Kelly Jolly followed after her. Just like next year someone else will step in and take over for candACE!!!

should we know this person?

You ever see that fourth national championship banner hanging in the TBA? It's up there because of Michelle Marciniak. She led us back from 17 down with eight minutes left in the regional final against UVA in Charlottesville, matched her career high in points to beat a UConn team in the semis that was better than we were, and then we blew out Jawja in the championship.

MM ... future Vol head coach ....... ?

While Marciniak may be a good future coach (she's one of my all time favs), I believe one of Pat's assistants would & should be given the opportunity. What a act to follow, be like Bear Bryant, Adolph Rupp, John Wooden, Dean Smith, etc.

CPS doesn't appear to be slowing down any time soon so do you think her successor is on the staff or will it be someone even younger?

Pat still has A LOT of time left in coaching unless she just chooses to leave the game after she gets 1000 wins

Where is she? Is she coaching?

I don't know where she is now. She was an assistant coach at the U of South Carolina, but since Dawn Staley came, I don't see her listed as a coach. Staley did hire two former UT players, but it looks like Michelle is out. Can anyone help?:glare:

Marciniak was a very good player--transferred to UT from somewhere (pa. state)--and one of the FEW point guards Summitt has had who had all-around skills--could handle the ball and score, tough-minded and a leader. Most of PS's pg recruits have obvious limitations; not her. Dena Head was the other great UT PG--probably the best one the Vols have ever had; she played back in the '80s, I think. Outstanding all-around PG. She, too, did what Marciniak did: Rallied the Vols against UVA in the national title game, as I recall. I think he may have gone to OT--but she saved the Vols in that game. Forget the year.

I believe if anyone will step into CPS's shoes, it will be Holly Warlick. Considering the fact of how long she has been at UT not only as a player but a coach, her recruiting skills, teaching skills, etc. why would they want anyone else? Just my opinion.

ole dr. dave you got a thing for michelle
I did....still do :)

I think Marciniak transferred from Notre Dame.
You are correct. Michelle is a native of Pennsylvania who originally signed with ND.

A bit of trivia. When Pat Summitt was pregnant with son Tyler. Her water broke while sitting on the Marciniak family sofa during a recruiting visit. Pat insisted that Tyler be born in Tennessee. She immediately went to the airport, and the UT plane rushed her back to Knoxville with her in labor.

Dena Head was the other great UT PG--probably the best one the Vols have ever had; she played back in the '80s, I think. Outstanding all-around PG. She, too, did what Marciniak did: Rallied the Vols against UVA in the national title game, as I recall. I think he may have gone to OT--but she saved the Vols in that game. Forget the year.

That was in 1991, in the finals. Virginia led by as many as 12 points early in the game; it went to OT tied at 60. Pat outcoached Debbie Ryan in the extra session and the Lady Vols had their third title in five years. Dena Head played the game of her life defensively to slow down Dawn Staley.

Marciniak's UVa moment was in the 1996 regional final; UT was the No. 1 seed but the regional final was in Charlottesville, and I think the Cavaliers brought their own refs, too. We were down 32-15 with about 15 minutes left in the game. Marciniak brought us all the way back; we outscored them 37-12 the rest of the game. Pat, who was thoroughly disgusted that UT had to win a game like that as a top seed, told the team "if you can win in Charlottesville, you can win in Charlotte (site of the Final Four)." They did.

That '96 team is still my favorite of all their championship teams. In that Virginia game and in the semifinals against UConn (88-83, OT), they simply refused to lose, and I think a lot of that had to do with Michelle Marciniak.

VN Store

Back