Where Do We Go From Here?

Then you missed an outstanding post (assuming you weren't joking)..

That was very kind of you, Creekdipper. Thank you.
But Acuna has a point:
During one of our "debates," my late father once said, "Kim, you talk a gallon a minute." My brothers thought that was hilarious, and adding to the frustration, there is simply no allowable response to such a claim - the Catch 22 of dialogue.
"You talk too much."
"No, I don't!"
"Yes, you do! See?"
As an aging great-grandfather, I still talk too much. But hey, my heart's in the right place, so, there's that.

I attended last night's game - first time I'd been inside TBA since ETSU at UT a couple-three years ago. More on that later, but I've doubtless filled my quota on this one.
Cheers.

Call my crazy, but I continue to see demonstrative, encouraging signs of growth for our Ladies in Orange, White, and Blue, and very sadly for Thursday night’s game, Black. God’s continued Strength and Blessings to all involved.

So, we have ourselves a turnover problem. Given the particular circumstances and personnel makeup of our team - the graduated and transferred players; the new coaching staff, the inexperience, the competition, Zaay Green’s injury - no one should be all that surprised.
And, there is a dedicated post about a particular player - Rae Burrell - who is mentioned at some length below, but this being a little sensitive, I’m posting it here so as not to contaminate the scene there. So, just an observation from the Mississippi State game, about a special player - Rae Burrell.

Rae is a really talented player and we are nearing tournament time wherein we will be hard-pressed to win without her.
I remember a player from just after the most recent Title teams who would get the ball and shoot. *Yes, we all know who she is, but that’s of no importance here, and, why I’m posting this here.* She could hit shots from 22-ft, or drive down the right side (always the right) and shoot. Oh, she could really shoot.
So, what could possibly go wrong?
Several fans (onliners just like us) began to complain that she was negatively affecting team chemistry, and they were attacked by her supporters (it seemed about fifty-fifty).
Bottom line, Pat loved and tolerated the shooter. From what I know she’s a lovely person, and doesn’t strike me as selfish. But the opinions of my few acquaintances who followed the Lady Vols at that time were unanimously hostile. It went back and forth on the forum, neither side giving an inch.
Things changed rather drastically, however, when one of her teammates spoke up, (paraphrasing) “For us to be successful, we need to share the ball.” I don’t want to open old wounds or awaken grudges for any of you who might have participated on either side of those debates. But, setting aside what any of us online experts might have thought or said, there was an unmistakable tension.
Anyhow, she actually made it for awhile in the WNBA, in fact, she might still be there or playing overseas. So, a highly-talented player, but one who, fair or not, many considered selfish.

I think that Rae can be amazing, and I do not think she’s selfish! In fact, I actually recall a nice assist to Jessie during the game in which Jessie went off for five threes. And, I remember a long, open-court fast break, bounce pass from Rae for a layup that, to me was the highlight of the European games. Oh, and those behind-the-back fast break feeds we recently witnessed? So, I do not see selfish when Rae has the ball. I see incredible hustle and great playmaking skills, but quite often, a lack of consistent, clear court vision. There are near-countless players who do not possess that most-important trait, and it’s a skill more difficult to acquire (and maintain) than it might appear. Players that do not develop this trait early, often make incredible passes or have entire games with no turnovers, only to revert back to old habits during the heat of battle. I simply cannot imagine that this problem is not being addressed daily in full team, and individual practices. And, I expect we’ll see improvement at LSU. However, not for the entire game. It just works that way. It (turnovers) is a habit. When’s the last time you tried to break one?
Anyhow, I trust in our Staff’s ability, and in Rae’s desire to get better.
Cheers!

I'd be in favor of firing the whole staff tonight and running them out of town if I thought there was the slightest chance they weren't already doing all of these things.

I also don't think it has anything to do with player awareness of the problem or its impact. My God, its the first and only thing anyone talks about in relation to this team. Andy Landers making a damn second career of it. We can stipulate everyone involved knows the problem and has tried every practice technique in the book.

The trick, and hardest part, is taking the awareness and the practice repetitions and being able to apply them in game situations at game speed Good teams and players clear this performance hurdle, the rest never do. Last LV staff never did.

I had hoped KJH would have had a better start on it than what's showed on court recently, but I still think she deserves some time, and possibly some more highly skilled players able to develop the needed skills.
I think four seasons is a good benchmark. We need a signature win this season, which could realistically be TAM. We should have beaten KY and Texas. We were a younger, less experienced team then, though.

Call my crazy, but I continue to see demonstrative, encouraging signs of growth for our Ladies in Orange, White, and Blue, and very sadly for Thursday night’s game, Black. God’s continued Strength and Blessings to all involved.

So, we have ourselves a turnover problem. Given the particular circumstances and personnel makeup of our team - the graduated and transferred players; the new coaching staff, the inexperience, the competition, Zaay Green’s injury - no one should be all that surprised.
And, there is a dedicated post about a particular player - Rae Burrell - who is mentioned at some length below, but this being a little sensitive, I’m posting it here so as not to contaminate the scene there. So, just an observation from the Mississippi State game, about a special player - Rae Burrell.

Rae is a really talented player and we are nearing tournament time wherein we will be hard-pressed to win without her.
I remember a player from just after the most recent Title teams who would get the ball and shoot. *Yes, we all know who she is, but that’s of no importance here, and, why I’m posting this here.* She could hit shots from 22-ft, or drive down the right side (always the right) and shoot. Oh, she could really shoot.
Several fans (onliners just like us) began to complain that she was negatively affecting team chemistry, and they were attacked by her supporters (it seemed about fifty-fifty).
Bottom line, Pat loved and tolerated the shooter. From what I know she’s a lovely person, and doesn’t strike me as selfish. But the opinions of my few acquaintances who followed the Lady Vols at that time were unanimously hostile. It went back and forth on the forum, neither side giving an inch.
Things changed rather drastically, however, when one of her teammates spoke up, (paraphrasing) “For us to be successful, we need to share the ball.” I don’t want to open old wounds or awaken grudges for any of you who might have participated on either side of those debates. But, setting aside what any of us online experts might have thought or said, there was an unmistakable tension.
Anyhow, she actually made it for awhile in the WNBA, in fact, she might still be there or playing overseas. So, a highly-talented player, but one who, fair or not, many considered selfish.

I think that Rae can be amazing, and I do not think she’s selfish! In fact, I actually recall a nice assist to Jessie during the game in which Jessie went off for five threes. And, I remember a long, open-court fast break, bounce pass from Rae for a layup that, to me was the highlight of the European games. Oh, and those behind-the-back fast break feeds we recently witnessed? So, I do not see selfish when Rae has the ball. I see incredible hustle and great playmaking skills, but quite often, a lack of consistent, clear court vision. There are near-countless players who do not possess that most-important trait, and it’s a skill more difficult to acquire (and maintain) than it might appear. Players that do not develop this trait early, often make incredible passes or have entire games with no turnovers, only to revert back to old habits during the heat of battle. I simply cannot imagine that this problem is not being addressed daily in full team, and individual practices. And, I expect we’ll see improvement at LSU. However, not for the entire game. It just works that way. It (turnovers) is a habit. When’s the last time you tried to break one?
Cheers!
I agree, but sometimes she tries to do too much, which is better than not trying to do enough. Still, she needs to better involve teammates because sometimes she’s full steam in the transition game, and can only see the basket. She’s a terrific player, though.

Sorry for the oversimplification, butt why is it sooo hard to see! UT does not currently have the players. And until we start winning some recruiting battles, it AINT gonna get much better. We can discuss ALL the other stuff, but we need players!

Sorry for the oversimplification, butt why is it sooo hard to see! UT does not currently have the players. And until we start winning some recruiting battles, it AINT gonna get much better. We can discuss ALL the other stuff, but we need players!
Couldn't argue that, always need players. I guess the question is whether there are currently enough players here who can be developed into the players we need or do we have to wait for recruits. And how far can the developable we have now take us?

IMO we have a pretty developable and very young core in Davis, Jaz (both are already on the good development trail) Horston, Burrell, Key and add Green. This core minus Green consistently beats cupcakes, SEC bottomfeeders and the occasional SEC middler. That's a big improvement over previous seasons. Can't even scare an elite yet though. Realistically that will probably take an off season of development plus some reinforcements - most notably a backup pg and reliable back up post.

Development of current roster is definitely an unknown, especially around here. Feels like we're on the right trajectory tho.

So she is probably in last place. I am fairly sure I can pick the five finalist and more than likely the winner.
Ten make the Wooden finalists, right? I think she could possibly make the final team. Even if she doesn't, I suspect she'll finish ahead of two of the three UConn players on the list...

Cheers!
We had TO problems with Zay early in season, we have lost every game because of stupid, repetitively stupid, turnovers. I am not sure why coaches aren't slowing team down, or benching, but it is past point to stop the bleeding. We have played a weak schedule, maybe that had hurt us, but coaches have to find away to stop it, even if we never fast break, and rely on defense and our rebounding. Turnovers are on players, but stopping them are on team. Maybe we slow down, get Saunders more minutes, and work to feed our post. The stupid telegraphed passes outside the 3 point line are asinine Why not play good D, and if the fast basket isnt there, play half court ball? I haven't seen a more athletic team, maybe SC, than us, but we give away possessions. I am being to wonder if Kellie really has this team under control.

I am being to wonder if Kellie really has this team under control.

You can stop wondering. Harper has control of the program and the respect of the players.

What she doesn’t have is the luxury to attempt to solve the turnover problem by benching the players who commit multiple turnovers. Even if she benched ONLY the top one or two players with the most turnovers, who does she have on the bench to replace them and be a major improvement in speed and ballhandling? Seriously... who?

This season is, always has been from the start, and will continue to be until it’s over, a period of adjustment in the program due to massive changes in leadership AND player personnel. It’s time for people to stop trying so hard to declare the new leadership as having failed when they have actually done a fantastic job in so many areas.

Let’s try to save our worry until enough time has gone by to have enough information to make fair judgements. This time next year, maybe? Or maybe by Christmas break next season??? :)

Ten make the Wooden finalists, right? I think she could possibly make the final team. Even if she doesn't, I suspect she'll finish ahead of two of the three UConn players on the list...
If they don't want to consider stats or experience or best player on a team then I guess she would be on there otherwise don't see it happening. Of course they may not consider anything has happened before.

Yeah, like you really nailed the top freshman post player...
I guess some of your post have rubbed off on me and I was thinking like you on that one. I was thinking who would Darth pick? She is the best in the SEC this season maybe in the nation. I still think Key has as much upside as she does with added strength and conditioning.

You can stop wondering. Harper has control of the program and the respect of the players.

What she doesn’t have is the luxury to attempt to solve the turnover problem by benching the players who commit multiple turnovers. Even if she benched ONLY the top one or two players with the most turnovers, who does she have on the bench to replace them and be a major improvement in speed and ballhandling? Seriously... who?

This season is, always has been from the start, and will continue to be until it’s over, a period of adjustment in the program due to massive changes in leadership AND player personnel. It’s time for people to stop trying so hard to declare the new leadership as having failed when they have actually done a fantastic job in so many areas.

Let’s try to save our worry until enough time has gone by to have enough information to make fair judgements. This time next year, maybe? Or maybe by Christmas break next season??? :)

So true, except we sure have given the football coach a lot of time, why not our women’s basketball Coach? Kellie’s first full recruitment season is 2021, and those players should be acclimated in their Sophomore season. Plus, it takes more than one or two recruiting years, freshmen still play like freshmen. We have a fantastic Coach, give her time to work her magic. 🙂

I think four seasons is a good benchmark. We need a signature win this season, which could realistically be TAM. We should have beaten KY and Texas. We were a younger, less experienced team then, though.

Not aging well.

I guess some of your post have rubbed off on me and I was thinking like you on that one. I was thinking who would Darth pick? She is the best in the SEC this season maybe in the nation. I still think Key has as much upside as she does with added strength and conditioning.

Aging worse.

Here we are with a five game losing streak and readying to play Vanderbilt, a team that would darned near sell their souls to see this streak equal last season’s half-dozen. Frustratingly, the most recent three could have been wins. However it plays out, there’s nothing we can do but hope Coach Kellie can push enough of the right buttons to end this season on a high note, and preferably about eight or so games from now.

There are two distinguishable, and undesirable characteristics of this team - turnovers and turnovers. And it’s near-unanimous that we want/need quickness. Even if that’s the case (I don’t think it is) we aren’t going to get it before sometime this summer/early fall. For now through season’s end we will go only as far as our talent and smarts take us. If we begin to play cleaner, more fluid basketball, our need for quickness will appear a little less urgent. Smart basketball is almost always quick enough.

Because, in basketball, speed, quickness, twitch fiber, et al, correlate to body-mind equilibrium. Until that balance is struck, you get ...what we have now. Remember Glory Johnson? She was so quick, her reaction time so amazing that she could shoot the ball, miss, rebound the ball and shoot and miss, rebound again, and again miss, sometimes three or four times before she would finally score the put back, or the other team would rebound the ball. She could hardly stand still even while shooting free throws. Her incredible twitch fiber (Glory was the first person to whom I heard the phrase applied) was terribly out of balance with her basketball mind. It’s worth noting that Glory was an honors student - brilliant, beautiful, athletic - but a little out of sorts until her version of this amazing game slowed down. Because, there is a readily-distinguishable difference in academic smarts, which all our players possess, and basketball smarts, which ...well, we’re working on it.
Cheers!

Thank you so much, Rooster, for your interest and comment. We get input from so many of the very-recent successful programs like, for instance, South Carolina. Your team is athletic, skilled, and, though teaming with promising freshmen, experienced and very well coached. One of those freshmen, Miss Boston, is also promising. She’s bigger-bodied and stronger than our freshman center, Tamari Key, and this will likely never change. But Miss Key will continue to improve mentally and physically, as will her teammates. I like her a lot.
So, your gals are some distance ahead of ours - for now - but I don’t think the Gamecocks will hold such a huge advantage for very long, and in fact, likely not as long as you, and probably many Lady Vols fans might think.
In our most recent game, our players appeared timid and wild, which led to too many turnovers, and this obviously affected our shooting as well; too much, in fact for us to keep the game close.
As for your post player, and ours, they both have a ways to go - the primary differences being the already mentioned strength and body types, but more significant for now, your team is better. For freshmen, this holds the responsibilities down and the confidence up. This too, is an advantage that you will not hold forever. So, stick out your chest and crow loudly, Rooster.
And, thanks for putting me in my place.

All doubts about Key will slowly dissipate as she adds strength and mass to her body. IMO she has skill as a scorer and she is a natural defensively she makes all SEC in her junior year. They are being asked to think while they play and this maybe is a little difficult for a new group and a new coach and system. Zaay injury was too much to overcome and the timing hurt us in recruiting with the new coach. Next year we will be better defensively as we will be able to put pressure on the ball. As with all things in life there is a flip side to being tall, and that is in most times you give up quickness. I hoped that Horston would be able to put pressure on the defense and open up open shooters but TOs have hurt the confidence of this team. The loss of confidence has hurt our effort the lack of effort has hurt our strength which is rebounding. We need to understand that we were not as good as we thought but can be if we commit to valuing the ball and play great defense.

This is posted after some hesitance, and here, as a stand alone.
**For the record, I think we have an excellent and compassionate staff, that has the best, long-term interest of every player at heart.**
Kim

The issue of playing time is, generally speaking, none of our business. And that’s that, ole chap. Case closed. After all, coaches are hired and fired for any number of reasons, and when’s the last time you saw one dismissed for how many minutes somebody played, or not? Our beautiful and aspiring coach has none of us to answer to about this particular part of her job.

And yet, we have such an interesting situation in Lady Voldom with a particular player who doesn’t play - ever - made more interesting by the fact that our coach is quite famous for singular and en-mass subbing. Our curiosities are further piqued because this player is six-five and talented; and, others leaving the bench for her position/minutes have often been less than stellar.

Is having no legal tender reason to know, reason-enough not to know? Because, the safe bet is that a huge proportion of those of us who don’t know ...want to. So, when is it - this phenomenon of playing time - anybody’s business? Well, never. Because, surely the coach and player have had that “little chat.” And the player has passed the vital talking points on to friends, family, and teammates. Yes. Because, sometimes even the teammates are perplexed. If two or three of them weren’t playing for several games at a time - some of them, runaways for one team or the other - then, no problem. Our Coach wouldn’t be the first to play a short bench, right? But again, she appears to prefer playing every available player every available minute. And this lady is six-five! And, talented. So, in the absence of any reported media inquiries, is ours an unjustifiable curiosity about the mysterious case of the lone, non-playing player?

Or is there an elephant in the room?

Having coached (small time, certainly), and having been in the sports media (also small time), I recall several right-out-in-the-open playing time “discussions.” They usually occur immediately after the game, and most often after “running clock” or “mercy rule” contests wherein the coach appeared more concerned with how badly he or she was winning or losing, than whether his players - even the worst of the lot, might appreciate a token appearance. Such discussions are not fun, and often embarrass the parent and coach. And, most of all, the player is humiliated.

Our media, is, if nothing else, nosy. And, they must know, that we want to know. Therefore, under what possible scenario would a coach or Athletic Department say, “Hey, y’all, don’t ask why Emily isn’t playing, regardless of how well, or poorly the others at her position are performing. Oh, and she’s fine - no medical or academic issues.” The bigger disappointment would be to learn that every media member were that easily silenced, so it’s difficult to even consider such a stated, or implied directive.

Is it then, reasonable to at least ask:
Is there something wrong?
Can she possibly still gain a red shirt?
Is there a personal issue?
*This one would actually provide the most efficient means of hushing further inquiries: “It’s a personal issue.”

There’s at least one guy or gal here whom we believe to be somewhat privy to the program. And though I doubt he (or she) has talked with staff about this, others within earshot likely have. I just cannot buy that it - Miss Emily’s lack of playing time - is off limits. And, there are obviously enough of us curious enough to suggest that there are many others asking the same question. It’s thus, inconceivable that nobody, not one single media member doesn’t share our curiosity. It’s the nature of the beast!
At the end of the day, playing time is Coach’s prerogative, plain and simple; so, no harm in asking; no harm in answering. Or not. However, to make even a parenthetical statement, would likely help more than harm.
Unless ...well, that’s the next bridge on down the road.
And, while I don’t expect a late-night call from Kellie or Jon; from Lacey, or Jennifer; or Phil, etc., put me down as very curious.
Because an elephant - in any room - is still an elephant.

The bigger disappointment would be to learn that every media member were that easily silenced, so it’s difficult to even consider such a stated, or implied directive.

As I said before this is the sycophantic media cult that protected Holly for years, don't hold your breath waiting for them to ask about it. Although you are exactly right, it has become a HUGE elephant in the room that should have received some comment by now (even a canned "coachspeak" generality)...

Reactions: krichunaka
This is posted after some hesitance, and here, as a stand alone.
**For the record, I think we have an excellent and compassionate staff, that has the best, long-term interest of every player at heart.**
Kim

The issue of playing time is, generally speaking, none of our business. And that’s that, ole chap. Case closed. After all, coaches are hired and fired for any number of reasons, and when’s the last time you saw one dismissed for how many minutes somebody played, or not? Our beautiful and aspiring coach has none of us to answer to about this particular part of her job.

And yet, we have such an interesting situation in Lady Voldom with a particular player who doesn’t play - ever - made more interesting by the fact that our coach is quite famous for singular and en-mass subbing. Our curiosities are further piqued because this player is six-five and talented; and, others leaving the bench for her position/minutes have often been less than stellar.

Is having no legal tender reason to know, reason-enough not to know? Because, the safe bet is that a huge proportion of those of us who don’t know ...want to. So, when is it - this phenomenon of playing time - anybody’s business? Well, never. Because, surely the coach and player have had that “little chat.” And the player has passed the vital talking points on to friends, family, and teammates. Yes. Because, sometimes even the teammates are perplexed. If two or three of them weren’t playing for several games at a time - some of them, runaways for one team or the other - then, no problem. Our Coach wouldn’t be the first to play a short bench, right? But again, she appears to prefer playing every available player every available minute. And this lady is six-five! And, talented. So, in the absence of any reported media inquiries, is ours an unjustifiable curiosity about the mysterious case of the lone, non-playing player?

Or is there an elephant in the room?

Having coached (small time, certainly), and having been in the sports media (also small time), I recall several right-out-in-the-open playing time “discussions.” They usually occur immediately after the game, and most often after “running clock” or “mercy rule” contests wherein the coach appeared more concerned with how badly he or she was winning or losing, than whether his players - even the worst of the lot, might appreciate a token appearance. Such discussions are not fun, and often embarrass the parent and coach. And, most of all, the player is humiliated.

Our media, is, if nothing else, nosy. And, they must know, that we want to know. Therefore, under what possible scenario would a coach or Athletic Department say, “Hey, y’all, don’t ask why Emily isn’t playing, regardless of how well, or poorly the others at her position are performing. Oh, and she’s fine - no medical or academic issues.” The bigger disappointment would be to learn that every media member were that easily silenced, so it’s difficult to even consider such a stated, or implied directive.

Is it then, reasonable to at least ask:
Is there something wrong?
Can she possibly still gain a red shirt?
Is there a personal issue?
*This one would actually provide the most efficient means of hushing further inquiries: “It’s a personal issue.”

There’s at least one guy or gal here whom we believe to be somewhat privy to the program. And though I doubt he (or she) has talked with staff about this, others within earshot likely have. I just cannot buy that it - Miss Emily’s lack of playing time - is off limits. And, there are obviously enough of us curious enough to suggest that there are many others asking the same question. It’s thus, inconceivable that nobody, not one single media member doesn’t share our curiosity. It’s the nature of the beast!
At the end of the day, playing time is Coach’s prerogative, plain and simple; so, no harm in asking; no harm in answering. Or not. However, to make even a parenthetical statement, would likely help more than harm.
Unless ...well, that’s the next bridge on down the road.
And, while I don’t expect a late-night call from Kellie or Jon; from Lacey, or Jennifer; or Phil, etc., put me down as very curious.
Because an elephant - in any room - is still an elephant.

It wouldn't be so mysterious if she hadn't played early in the season and well enough to at least get a few minutes going forward. If she had never played it would be easy to surmise that she was being redshirted and would still be a freshman next season. I could see this because we do have four other post players three that are upperclassmen and one a freshman that is getting to play quite a bit actually starting. I don't know if we will learn anything about this mystery this year maybe during the summer. I'm hoping we don't see an exit from the program that would really be sad. I agree this is something I would've asked quite a while ago because she was playing and then nothing that certainly is worth some kind of answer.

I add that I believe if the question was asked that the coach would say she is just to far down the depth chart with four players in front of her to play. I think she would say that the reason she played in some early games is because we had a lead large enough that she could be allowed to play. I don't know if this is what they would say but would be my guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: krichunaka

VN Store

Back