Where are we at w/ Solomon and Gibbs?

CA_Vol

Any intel on if and when they will get an answer from the NCAA? Honestly, I think getting them might be a +1 in the win column, especially Solomon. Replacing the entire d line could use a veteran body.

Not looking good for that UGA right end who transferred to Illinois to be closer to his family (sick grandpa). So I don’t have much hope for our guys.

Amazing some of the popular QBs were approved immediately, yet others are either denied or have to wait longer.
Somebody said in another thread that they could see Solomon and Gibbs being denied to make it appear as though some semblance of the rule actually still exists.

If the Virginia Tech kid with an ailing mother got denied, then Solomon and Gibbs have zero chance.

Somebody said in another thread that they could see Solomon and Gibbs being denied to make it appear as though some semblance of the rule actually still exists.

If the Virginia Tech kid with an ailing mother got denied, then Solomon and Gibbs have zero chance.
Maybe they should claim racism and get it done immediately like Fields?

That'd be a surefire way to do it, although Tate Martell's waiver got approved and I still think we're stretching our heads at what his "hardship" was.

The rule seems to be that if you're a potential future star at a highly visible position, you get approved.

If they played QB at a prestigious school then they would be cleared, but because they play a different position then chances are they won't. I really hope I'm wrong. Go Vols!!!!

That'd be a surefire way to do it, although Tate Martell's waiver got approved and I still think we're stretching our heads at what his "hardship" was.

The rule seems to be that if you're a potential future star at a highly visible position, you get approved.
Is he the OSU QB who left because Fields was coming and got a waiver to Miami? Sounds legit.

Is he the OSU QB who left because Fields was coming and got a waiver to Miami? Sounds legit.
Yes, and he lawyered up quickly. Supposedly said Ohio St's coaching change (Urban to Day) was the hardship.

Of all the recent transfers, Martell's really has the greatest potential to change the sport and create a quasi-free agency system. The others (Shea Patterson last year, Fields, etc.) all had some extenuating circumstance that could plausibly be claimed. Martell's didn't really.

Yes, and he lawyered up quickly. Supposedly said Ohio St's coaching change (Urban to Day) was the hardship.

Of all the recent transfers, Martell's really has the greatest potential to change the sport and create a quasi-free agency system. The others (Shea Patterson last year, Fields, etc.) all had some extenuating circumstance that could plausibly be claimed. Martell's didn't really.
Which is all the more puzzling why players with seemingly legitimate reasons are being denied. I’m not saying our guys do, but once Martelli was allowed to transfer without penalty, the genie was kind of out of the bottle. Now the NCAA seems to be trying to stuff it back in after OSU (and Miami) got their man.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
If I were their father, I'd retain an attorney and have them send a letter to the NCAA just to rattle a cage or two. If they sit around and wait, it will be after the UF game before they are denied.

Which is all the more puzzling why players with seemingly legitimate reasons are being denied. I’m not saying our guys do, but once Martelli was allowed to transfer without penalty, the genie was kind of out of the bottle. Now the NCAA seems to be trying to stuff it back in after OSU (and Miami) got their man.
Yes, which is why Solomon/Gibbs (and presumably any other non-potential star without a really obvious reason) are going to get denied. After letting a string of high-profile players go through, they are going to deny the non-household names to make it look like the rule still exists.

Unless there's information we don't know, Solomon and Gibbs would have even weaker cases than Martell. Martell's reasoning was that the coach he committed to was no longer there, and the new staff had no interest in keeping him (which OSU did nothing to refute). Solomon and Gibbs aren't leaving a school with a head coaching change and with no other unique circumstances that anybody is aware of.

If Martell is considered a hardship situation, then in order to be consistent, then the NCAA is going to have to let hundreds of kids transfer if they wish every year without penalty. After any head coaching change, all of the guys on that roster can transfer. But we all know they don't do that.

Funny that some of you are so obsessed with the Fields case for some strange reason.

So they should make another athlete commit an act of racial aggression?

Plenty of cases to complain about. Not sure why that is the one you have a problem with. He actually has a reason unlike the two TOSU qbs who transferred.

Reactions: NomadVol
Funny that some of you are so obsessed with the Fields case for some strange reason.

So they should make another athlete commit an act of racial aggression?

Plenty of cases to complain about. Not sure why that is the one you have a problem with. He actually has a reason unlike the two TOSU qbs who transferred.
Everybody knows that wasn't the real reason with Fields though. If Fromm was graduating/going to the draft, Fields goes precisely nowhere. It's a very politically incorrect thing to say, especially in today's political environment, but I don't think he wanted out of there because he was called a racial slur during a game. His sister is still going there on a softball scholarship and in his statement after getting the transfer approved Fields himself basically says he has no problem with UGA and that his overall experience "was fully consistent with UGA's commitment to diversity and inclusion."

Martell had no other reason to fall back on, so he basically said straight up why he wanted to transfer, and the NCAA permitted it.

VN Store

Back