Where are we at w/ Solomon and Gibbs?

Neither one of these players made a big impact at their previous school. Don't see how you can assume they are going to suddenly turn into game changers because they are here now.

Soloman was slated to be a starter at Michigan this fall, and it's an understatement that he's the best DL we have currently. Gibbs I agree on.

Last edited:
Neither one of these players made a big impact at their previous school. Don't see how you can assume they are going to suddenly turn into game changers because they are here now.

Wasnt Solomon injured much of last year?

The schools they came from had quality depth which is on of the reasons they are transferring.

Reactions: CA_Vol
Wasnt Solomon injured much of last year?
I have only seen one article about him regarding his time at Michigan. It questioned his motivations and work ethic. They seemed to imply his injuries were suspect. They said he complained that the weather was too cold. They said he was over rated. I don’t know how truthful any of it was. Maybe it was all sour grapes because he was leaving. Just leaves you to wonder how much of a contribution he will make. I hope they were wrong.

Reactions: vols40
Funny that some of you are so obsessed with the Fields case for some strange reason.

So they should make another athlete commit an act of racial aggression?

Plenty of cases to complain about. Not sure why that is the one you have a problem with. He actually has a reason unlike the two TOSU qbs who transferred.
Because it was complete political correct BS, and you and everybody else knows it. It wasn’t fair to kids who have legit complaints/reasons for wanting/needing a transfer. As Tony Barnhart said, Fields knew he had no chance of beating out a much better Fromm and was looking for a way out....and he played the race card from the bottom of the deck to do it. He was in no way “injured” by it, just like his sister isn’t who’s thriving as a Georgia student athlete even today.

Because it was complete political correct BS, and you and everybody else knows it. It wasn’t fair to kids who have legit complaints/reasons for wanting/needing a transfer. As Tony Barnhart said, Fields knew he had no chance of beating out a much better Fromm and was looking for a way out....and he played the race card from the bottom of the deck to do it. He was in no way “injured” by it, just like his sister isn’t who’s thriving as a Georgia student athlete even today.[/QUOTE
Play the race card and play immediately unless you are Caucasian!

Because it was complete political correct BS, and you and everybody else knows it. It wasn’t fair to kids who have legit complaints/reasons for wanting/needing a transfer. As Tony Barnhart said, Fields knew he had no chance of beating out a much better Fromm and was looking for a way out....and he played the race card from the bottom of the deck to do it. He was in no way “injured” by it, just like his sister isn’t who’s thriving as a Georgia student athlete even today.

Tbf, the bylaws give leniency for those transferring "due to documented mitigating circumstances that are outside the student-athlete's control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete". Fields could have made a very material case, from everything I have read on that situation.

Still no update? When do you think we here specifically on Solomon

No one is even sure if we have filed the waivers yet. Pruitt made it sound like we had not as of March. There is truly no rush, except from fans.

Some guess we are also waiting to see what other waivers pass and fail, so we can play off of them. That would seem to be the smart move.

Personnally I think the NCAA should change the rule to go ahead and allow a 1 time transfer without penalty except losing teams can require the player to sit out a game against them if the losing team is scheduled to play the gaining team in the next regular season. These young kids make mistakes and should have a one time opportunity to correct it. Second transfers, however, should be severely restricted. Just my thoughts.

To be clear, the NCAA is not trying to punish a kid for transferring. That is not the reason for the "1-year residency rule". The rule is in place because studies have been done and transferring student-athletes have had significant academic issues during their year of transfer.

This has led to some suggest a GPA metric for waivers. This was presented to the committee last year, but afaik was not passed.

I think Kirby was done with Gibbs and just wanted him gone.

LMAO. I never get tired of the passive aggressive UGA fan approach. No one ever leaves UGA because they would prefer to be elsewhere. Chaney left because UGA didn't want him. Gibbs left because UGA didn't want him.

It just never ends. UGA fans are the biggest reason I absolutely detest that program. Athens is a nice town, and the campus is excellent.

It's just the endless backhanded compliment, passive aggressive arrogance of that fan base.

While I agree with your overall point, we badly need experienced depth/big bodies in the DL....Solomon certainly didn’t produce like a 5 star at Michigan, but a fresh start and a ton of potential playing time would surely do him some good, could he just what he needs to perform up to original expectations. At a minimum, he likely starts this year, eats up space in the middle and is our best DT at keeping OLs off of our ILBs.

No idea about Gibbs....outstanding athlete but it appears not even Pruitt is certain where he’ll play. Doubt he gets eligible for this year, so maybe a redshirt year to prepare and hone in on one position means he helps big-time in 2020.

Tbf, the bylaws give leniency for those transferring "due to documented mitigating circumstances that are outside the student-athlete's control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete". Fields could have made a very material case, from everything I have read on that situation.
So much subjectivity.

Recall that the NCAA, in applying that same bylaw of “leniency”, recently denied a young man’s waiver who wanted to be closer to his mother who was suffering from brain cancer. I’m thinking he had more claim to having his well-being negatively impacted by his mother’s poor, if not terminal health issue, than Fields did by NOT hearing a kid in a crowd of 90,000+ fans use a bad word in conjunction with his name.

So much subjectivity.

Recall that the NCAA, in applying that same bylaw of “leniency”, recently denied a young man’s waiver who wanted to be closer to his mother who was suffering from brain cancer. I’m thinking he had more claim to having his well-being negatively impacted by his mother’s poor, if not terminal health issue, than Fields did by NOT hearing a kid in a crowd of 90,000+ fans use a bad word in conjunction with his name.

I read the idiots actually filed the wrong type of waiver in that case.

When was the last time that the Vols got a break?
Solomon andd Gibbs are probably not going to be eligable this year, just going by how Tennessee get breaks or lack thereoff
Still have my fingers crossed just the same!
Go Vols

I have only seen one article about him regarding his time at Michigan. It questioned his motivations and work ethic. They seemed to imply his injuries were suspect. They said he complained that the weather was too cold. They said he was over rated. I don’t know how truthful any of it was. Maybe it was all sour grapes because he was leaving. Just leaves you to wonder how much of a contribution he will make. I hope they were wrong.
So the article was written after he decided to transfer?

I read the idiots actually filed the wrong type of waiver in that case.
Not sure about that, but that’s hardly the only such case. At approximately the same time a week or two ago, they also denied a kid a waiver who also had an ailing/dying family member because where he wanted to transfer was like 5 miles beyond the allowable limit.

The point is, there are rules, no standards that anyone can point to and say “yes, he meets the understood qualifications or no, he doesn’t”.

Solomon and Gibbs may or may not get their waivers and there’s absolutely no way to predict whether they will or won’t. Meanwhile, we’ve had 2 high profile QBs get their waivers no due to any legit hardship, but because they literally couldn’t beat out the QB ahead of them and they wanted playing time somewhere else.

Reactions: vols40
I am friends with several Michigan fans and they were all extremely disappointed to see Solomon leave. They said he was pretty much penciled in as a starter this year l.

So the article was written after he decided to transfer?
Yes. It was back around early signing period. It seemed like there were quotes from Michigan board because they were complaining about another one of their recruits we stole from them so there were the typical “we are paying our recruits because that’s the only reason anyone would choose us over them”, and badmouthing him at same time.

When was the last time that the Vols got a break?
Solomon andd Gibbs are probably not going to be eligable this year, just going by how Tennessee get breaks or lack thereoff
Still have my fingers crossed just the same!
Go Vols
When Butch was canned?

Hell, you can have an atty do a letter for a few hundred bucks. Just rattle the cage and they'll fold like a cheap tent.

VN Store

Back