Where are we at w/ Solomon and Gibbs?

Don't waste time discussing it . Soloman and Gibbs have NO chance getting a waiver .. might as well prepare for it .. I don't even think TN has petitioned .. seems like I remember during Spring that CJP saying the process is we have to send paper work in .. not they had sent paper work in .. so if they think no chance .. then why get the kids hopes up ..

Nice catch on the statement. Could be they were waiting for Tennessee to help them with it or it could be that they just didn't bother or expect it to be approved. Although you have to wonder why they would transfer due to lack of playing time but then expect to sit out for a year here.

Personnally I think the NCAA should change the rule to go ahead and allow a 1 time transfer without penalty except losing teams can require the player to sit out a game against them if the losing team is scheduled to play the gaining team in the next regular season. These young kids make mistakes and should have a one time opportunity to correct it. Second transfers, however, should be severely restricted. Just my thoughts.

Spencer Rattler, the incoming 5 star was the projected starter. Still may...he’s built for that offense.
True, but say it doesn't pan out for him. Can he go to the NCAA and say "The coaching staff doesn't want me - a guy who won a title as a QB and played for another transferred in, and that's a hardship?" Via the Martell case, the NCAA has basically already said that's a hardship.

True, but say it doesn't pan out for him. Can he go to the NCAA and say "The coaching staff doesn't want me - a guy who won a title as a QB and played for another transferred in, and that's a hardship?" Via the Martell case, the NCAA has basically already said that's a hardship.
He CAN. We’ve seen the success rate variances. Baker Mayfield changed walk on transfer rules and netted the extra season to win the Heisman. I doubt the kid transfers if he can’t beat Hurts out for ONE season.

He CAN. We’ve seen the success rate variances. Baker Mayfield changed walk on transfer rules and netted the extra season to win the Heisman. I doubt the kid transfers if he can’t beat Hurts out for ONE season.
Should have been more specific. Of course he can say that. Would it get approved should have been my (rhetorical) question. If the NCAA wants to follow precedent - which assumes they are a competent/consistent organization, which is a gigantic stretch - then they'd have to approve it. That's why Martell opened up Pandora's box, because the NCAA has essentially allowed him to be a college free agent.

Martell is the quintessential case of the modern "student-athlete." Dude committed then de-committed to two different schools before signing with Ohio St, then left Ohio St for another school after one year.

The NCAA will catch hell if this kid isn’t allowed a medical waiver. Lawyers will definitely get involved if his hardship isn’t granted.

(Justin Fields was granted a waiver because of Racism from a student who doesn’t even play on the football team, who was removed from the school - the real reason for his transfer was because he was not the starting QB at Georgia.)

Funny that some of you are so obsessed with the Fields case for some strange reason.

So they should make another athlete commit an act of racial aggression?

Plenty of cases to complain about. Not sure why that is the one you have a problem with. He actually has a reason unlike the two TOSU qbs who transferred.

Yeah his reason was that he was a 5* recruit that was gonna sit on the bench for the next year or two with an occasional wildcat play here and there. If you say he was justified because some hack yelled something racial at him during a game please don't.

Should have been more specific. Of course he can say that. Would it get approved should have been my (rhetorical) question. If the NCAA wants to follow precedent - which assumes they are a competent/consistent organization, which is a gigantic stretch - then they'd have to approve it. That's why Martell opened up Pandora's box, because the NCAA has essentially allowed him to be a college free agent.

Martell is the quintessential case of the modern "student-athlete." Dude committed then de-committed to two different schools before signing with Ohio St, then left Ohio St for another school after one year.
If we’re still discussing Spencer Rattler, then none of this weighs. Hurts has ONE year of eligibility. Worst case he sits a year and steps into the perfect system for his skills. Martell and Fields both had multiple years of eligibility.

Personnally I think the NCAA should change the rule to go ahead and allow a 1 time transfer without penalty except losing teams can require the player to sit out a game against them if the losing team is scheduled to play the gaining team in the next regular season. These young kids make mistakes and should have a one time opportunity to correct it. Second transfers, however, should be severely restricted. Just my thoughts.

If the team you transfer into has a worse record than the one you transfer from, then you shouldn't have to sit out a year - maybe 3 games max.

Neither one of these players made a big impact at their previous school. Don't see how you can assume they are going to suddenly turn into game changers because they are here now.

Neither one of these players made a big impact at their previous school. Don't see how you can assume they are going to suddenly turn into game changers because they are here now.
Solomon was coming along great until he got hurt. I don't think it's a stretch to say he would be a starter and possibly an impact player.

As far as Gibbs, he is clearly athletic, and reports were impressive from the Spring.

There's a huge gap between contributor and "game changer". I think it's pretty safe to say both of these guys could fall in that gap.

VN Store

Back