When will Tennessee be Elite again

When will Tennessee make a CFP

• Total voters
Gotta be relevant before you can be elite. I'd say there are only 5 elite programs today...Clemson, OSU, OKLA, Bama, LSU. Think 2 years or so before we're a top 10 team, which, historically, in SEC, puts you in the top 2-3 teams in the conference at the end of the year.

That being said, I'm choosing to look at it that UT was elite in the historic period before China Virus...totally erasing any memory of Orange Pants and Brick by Brick.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
We are elite now. The SEC is a line of scrimmage league. Our OL for 2020 left to right = 5* 5* 4* 5* 5*. It's also the same number right to left.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
We are elite now. The SEC is a line of scrimmage league. Our OL for 2020 left to right = 5* 5* 4* 5* 5*. It's also the same number right to left.

That is exactly what I'm counting on. We shall control the LOS on offense.

I can play QB and bring a lawn chair with me.

Soon. Kiffin, Dooley, Butch, Pruitt is going to turn this thing around. Seriously, I think we are building ourselves back the right way along the lines of scrimmage, but making the CFP I think is probably still more than 5 seasons away. If people can be patient, we'll get there though I think.

Reactions: tennrich1
Never again will we see the elite run we had in the 90’s I mean it’s been nearly 22 years since our last SEC title and 13 since our last trip to the SEC title game. The landscape of college football has changed dramatically since 1998 and we got nudged out some due to bad coaching hires , the rise of Saban, demographics and ESPN and just where we are located at it’s hard to recruit the state of Tennessee. We can be a consistent 9 to 10 win program though and every once in awhile challenge for the East division but I don’t think we will ever be elite like we were in the late 80’s and 90’s again. However we should never be as awful as we were during 2010’s decade.

I voted 5 years. The Vols need a elite QB and least two elite RB. A strong OL a very strong DL. Two great linebackers and a ball hawk / head hunter in the secondary. On top of that if history tell us anything the ball has to bounce your way a lot. Not to mention a outstanding OC and DC plus head coach who is not afraid to take his foot off the gas and not play to lose. Win the East get to Atlanta a couple of times and we can talk about being elite again. With that said GO BIG ORANGE ! Can only hope the Vols play this fall.

No clue. Good news is you're only a coaching hire and a few recruiting classes away with the facilities and tradition we have. Bad news is the SEC is so much better than it was when we were elite so it's a tougher climb. We'll see, but it's impossible to put a time table on it. Hopefully Pruitt is the guy.

Never again will we see the elite run we had in the 90’s I mean it’s been nearly 22 years since our last SEC title and 13 since our last trip to the SEC title game. The landscape of college football has changed dramatically since 1998 and we got nudged out some due to bad coaching hires , the rise of Saban, demographics and ESPN and just where we are located at it’s hard to recruit the state of Tennessee. We can be a consistent 9 to 10 win program though and every once in awhile challenge for the East division but I don’t think we will ever be elite like we were in the late 80’s and 90’s again. However we should never be as awful as we were during 2010’s decade.
The one thing that's different for the Vols is the massive growth of the Middle Tennessee area and no ones sees that stopping anytime soon. And the crop of great players should only grow with it. So if we can start landing the players from Tennessee we want and need then all the other negatives will go away. The ole Willies and Joe's theory I hope.

We arent in the realm of elite. If what you say is true, then we should only lose 1-2 games this year max. I think we are a good 3 years away from being what you call elite.

We arent in the realm of elite. If what you say is true, then we should only lose 1-2 games this year max. I think we are a good 3 years away from being what you call elite.
Think back to '89. '88 we went 5-6, but won our last 5 games. '89 we were 11-1. When it happens, it can happen quickly, and we won our last 6 games last year.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
Star ratings from high school are not a good evaluation of SEC ability. When we put 8 to 10 players every year in the early rounds of the NFL draft , then we will be elite.

When every game they have a legitimate shot to win. No matter who they play, they have a shot.
Then they'll be elite again.

Think back to '89. '88 we went 5-6, but won our last 5 games. '89 we were 11-1. When it happens, it can happen quickly, and we won our last 6 games last year.
You forgot one important thing and it is a big one...We have Jarrett Guarantano at QB....I'll just leave this here.

Tennessee will be elite again only when they win another SEC Championship. It has been 21 years.

Only five schools have won the SEC Championship since 1998:

Alabama (7)
LSU (5)
Georgia (3)
Auburn (3)
Florida (3)

Last edited:
Reactions: Chattdawg
I would consider perennial top 10 elite, which would be 4th or 5th in the SEC every year, at worst.

I’ll say this...it will happen again. Tennessee simply makes too much money to fall off forever. Every school that makes a boatload of money and has a huge fan base has the ability to return to the top.

No, we're not. We haven't beaten a Top 10 team in 14 years. We can get there though.

VN Store

Back