When will OK and Texas officially join the SEC?

What year will OK and Texas (will never call them UT btw) officially join the SEC?

Votes: 12 3.2%

Votes: 179 47.2%

Votes: 49 12.9%

Votes: 82 21.6%

Votes: 57 15.0%

• Total voters
Nobody paid attention to when their contract ran out? 2025. They’ve already asked to join the SEC when their contract runs out.

That is legal speak. State you will be staying through the end of the contract....if the Big 12 falls apart before then, you have no buyout. If it stays together, then you can discuss the exit fee.

However, stating you are leaving in 2022 would put you on the hook for the exit fee....best to play nice in the sandbox and then wait and see what happens to the league.

For a fact they arent going to let Texas and Oklahoma just "hang around" for another four seasons with the changeover to the SEC already being a done deal. That's just dumb on the part of the Big12. They will negotiate a buyout for sure and cut them loose ASAP so they can invite new teams to the league.

Reactions: EricStratton
Nobody paid attention to when their contract ran out? 2025. They’ve already asked to join the SEC when their contract runs out.

The amount of money it will take for them to breach the contract and purchase their way out of the tv-rights deal is dwarfed by the revenue they will receive with a renegotiated SEC media deal. I've seen people say that the league split could be anywhere from $70M-$100M per team yearly after the league expands.

They won't wait until 2025, but I don't think they get it done before 2023.

Can anyone imagine anyone 40 years ago asking what it would be like for the South West Conference to hook up with the South Eastern Conference?

The release today stated 2025 which is when current TV contract expires. I suspect once SEC approves move. OK/TX will then negotiate an earlier release perhaps 2022 or 2023. I believe that once their departure is imminent B12/espn b12 tv deal will try to rip off the band aid and move on. This will help them to negotiate a payout for early release $50 million each perhaps and also allow espn or whoever to negotiate the next SEC TV deal which is rumored to be in excess of $1.1 billion/$70 million per team.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Sounds to me like the name SOUTHEASTERN Conference is going to be headed to the chopping block soon. This is a big shift that is probably going to head toward a power structure far different from the conferences that we are used to. Unwinding these semi-pro sports from educational institutions altogether may come one day in the future.

So basically we now are going to have 3 teams in a 4 team playoff.
Or 4 teams in a 6 team playoff.
Oklahoma, Alabama, and somebody else from the conference will always be in the playoffs. Is this really what everybody wants to see, I do not want to see Ala, Oklahoma and Georgia during the regular season then watch the same three teams in the playoffs . This is going to either be really good or just going to absolutely destroy what we once couldn’t wait for every year.

I longed for college football to come around every year.
The NFL I could care a less about, same players for 10000years.

We are going to find out, because no one is honoring ish rn. This is now a game of Risk. If I were The Commish, these are the moves I would have on the table.

I want Miami, at all costs. Miami is money. Texas sized money. and, really, everybody knows, there is nothing more southeast then miami. Miami is not going to offer themselves up rn. They have hand. If I'm The Commish?... what would you do? ...... I'll wait......

I get Florida State. That fractures the ACC. Clemson has too much power and you cannot deal with them. with 2/3 rds Florida in the SankEC Conference, Miami will be pressured. Without The U in the ACC Clemson is a home run. If I'm Clemson I jump first.
I live in Miami and they are a small private school who rents the stadium they play in...They are a school rich in history yet the fanbase for them is tiny...Most of the people down here are from somewhere else and have no connection to the school...There is nothing "Southern" about Miami...More New Yorkers down here than good ole boys...Like we always say, In order to be in the south you have to drive north.

Reactions: krichunaka
I think they will make a deal with the Big 12 and get out in 2022-2023. Now that they have shown their intentions why would the Big 12 want to keep them around until 2025?
Find replacements or other conferences to join or merge with.
In the meantime TX and OK are lucrative to what's left of the B12.

Just heard that ESPN owes Texas $ 160m on LHN. ESPN might foot the bill for OU and Texas to move to SEC in 2022. I think they are in SEC in 2022. This happened with Missouri and Texas A&M. They didn't have to stay in Big12 for buy-outs.
I may be wrong but I think that Missouri and Texas a&m just declined to renew their rights. I'm pretty sure their contract was up and they could do whatever they wanted. Its massively different with Oklahoma and texas.

I hate this. The SEC is no longer going to be the SOUTHEASTERN conference anymore.
college football will go the way of NASCAR with these new super conferences. Nobody will attend and TV viewership will suffer. The best days are behind this once great game. Greed kills….

I thought their joint public statement said they were committed to their current conference until the TV agreement expires in 2025, I could be wrong though.
This has probably been answered but they can pay a fine and leave after this year.

With NIL is just business. Play here or play there, finally there will be more consequences for bad behavior than running steps or going to another program.

I would expect a player’s NIL contract would have stipulations concerning their behavior off the field. Get caught pulling a regular student stunt the money stops.

It always been about how players spend their free time. The chance of a bigger contract might just nudge them into working harder rather than goofing it all away.

Agree to a point but when teens have never had money and/or good parents. I could see a night out and peer pressure with cash in the pocket could lead to bad headlines. Just takes a moment to make the lifetime blunder, we've seen it before with supposedly bare minimums $$ wise.

college football will go the way of NASCAR with these new super conferences. Nobody will attend and TV viewership will suffer. The best days are behind this once great game. Greed kills….
I plan to go/watch even if it's good, bad, or ugly.

I may be wrong but I think that Missouri and Texas a&m just declined to renew their rights. I'm pretty sure their contract was up and they could do whatever they wanted. Its massively different with Oklahoma and texas.

Both Missouri and Texas A&M had to pay exit fees. Look it up.

College football ain't dying, buddy. It continues to grow. Restructuring the league and conferences will have zero impact on that. Nor will NIL money-making.

Now, turning it into touch football to avoid injuries, that would be a different matter. But we're not talking about that right now.

VN Store

Back