When will OK and Texas officially join the SEC?

What year will OK and Texas (will never call them UT btw) officially join the SEC?

Votes: 12 3.2%

Votes: 179 47.2%

Votes: 49 12.9%

Votes: 82 21.6%

Votes: 57 15.0%

• Total voters
I hate this. The SEC is no longer going to be the SOUTHEASTERN conference anymore.

Honestly, it hasn't been since Arkansas joined, and the conference abandoned all semblance of regional/geographic identity with Missouri and A&M. This is just more of the same.

I didn't mind the addition of AR but adding Mizzu has brought nothing to the conference.
I didn't like TAMU or Mizzou joining. The previous expansion was before my time as a fan, but I don't think Arkansas and SC are a good fit either. Give me old school 80s SEC.

Reactions: cassidyj
I wouldn't mind seeing a clear division between the East and West.

I think that could work, though I anticipate they will go the quadrant approach, to better facilitate future expansion. I've not looked at the map, but I wonder how they would draw the line were they to split it down the middle.

There has been speculation by various journalists that it could happen as soon as a "matter of weeks", trying to cut off anyone trying to make a stink. Don't be surprised if that happens, and yes it would mean a reorganization of some games.... they have gotten good at that with covid.

Reactions: LowKey
I voted 2023 but will not be surprised at all if it happens next year. Things are changing so fast there’s no way of knowing what the climate will be like this fall much less 2025.

Today, Oklahoma and Texas officially applied for membership in the SEC starting July 1, 2025.

Today, Oklahoma and Texas officially applied for membership in the SEC starting July 1, 2025.

I think the OP was meaning when will they begin playing games in the league, but I understand your meaning. The presidents and chancellors are meeting this week, so I suspect they are voted in within a week.

Reactions: Volfan1000
It will be the same with 12 team CFP . Everything is moving faster than it ever has. It will be next year.

Just heard that ESPN owes Texas $ 160m on LHN. ESPN might foot the bill for OU and Texas to move to SEC in 2022. I think they are in SEC in 2022. This happened with Missouri and Texas A&M. They didn't have to stay in Big12 for buy-outs.

Why had it suddenly occurred to me that the future of the SankEC conference lies with florida state and miami? I would have already had them on board if I was The Commish.

Why had it suddenly occurred to me that the future of the SankEC conference lies with florida state and miami? I would have already had them on board if I was The Commish.

Miami doesn't bring the level of importance that it once had. Clemson would be more likely than Miami. Miami's big issue is that they could barely fill their stadium, even when they were winning. Clemson and FSU have SEC-like fanbases and atmospheres.

If they are voted in, they will be a part of the SEC in 2022.

Well, I'm not sure what they would do with the current schedule then. The 12 may have a grievance, but they won't have a chance if it's done soon enough.

and... who the hell are they going to take their grievence too? The Queen of Dragons?

Well, I'm not sure what they would do with the current schedule then. The 12 may have a grievance, but they won't have a chance if it's done soon enough.

All the reports I have read said 2022. Conferences generally do not like lame ducks muddying their waters, so they get them out of there as soon as possible.

We are going to find out, because no one is honoring ish rn. This is now a game of Risk. If I were The Commish, these are the moves I would have on the table.

I want Miami, at all costs. Miami is money. Texas sized money. and, really, everybody knows, there is nothing more southeast then miami. Miami is not going to offer themselves up rn. They have hand. If I'm The Commish?... what would you do? ...... I'll wait......

I get Florida State. That fractures the ACC. Clemson has too much power and you cannot deal with them. with 2/3 rds Florida in the SankEC Conference, Miami will be pressured. Without The U in the ACC Clemson is a home run. If I'm Clemson I jump first.

Reactions: NEO
I figure 2023, that gives them another full year to disband whats left of the Big 12 and escape with a negotiated buyout of media rights to the former members of the conference (you know-like a parting gift).

VN Store

Back