When to start worrying?

CA_Vol

I was a little surprised by the Heupel hire, but am holding out that he may bring a fun style of football to watch and acknowledging he has more actual head coaching success than any coach we’ve hired since Majors.

That said, when should the lack of any announced staff begin to worry us? It’s clear that we were rejected by the top choices for HC. Is something similar at play or is this more of AD White’s tendency towards keeping these types of things close to the vest?

I'm more worried about hearing less action the recruiting front than we are accustomed. Guess it's kind of hard to recruit without coaches but signing day is Wednesday. The timing of this whole fiasco couldn't have been worse.

I'm more worried about hearing less action the recruiting front than we are accustomed. Guess it's kind of hard to recruit without coaches but signing day is Wednesday. The timing of this whole fiasco couldn't have been worse.
You shouldn’t expect anything on Wednesday. Best case scenario is a good DC hire and supporting staff and you maximize your remaining scholarships on transfers. There is no possible way we can expect a staff not yet even hired to close players by Wednesday.

I was a little surprised by the Heupel hire, but am holding out that he may bring a fun style of football to watch and acknowledging he has more actual head coaching success than any coach we’ve hired since Majors.

That said, when should the lack of any announced staff begin to worry us? It’s clear that we were rejected by the top choices for HC. Is something similar at play or is this more of AD White’s tendency towards keeping these types of things close to the vest?
I wont be worrying for the next 6 or so seasons

tumblr_c003f21d2fd3ac4eef7a594dce5b6ca5_a0fffc5e_500.gif

End of the week. This isn't the typical time to be hiring a staff. The negotiations and buyouts are more complicated. Getting the right staff is more important than going fast at this particular point.

CA, I think Josh put on hold, for now, decisions on the coaching staff. His focus is on the roster for the next 4 days.

There are a number of players in the portal. I'm sure he and all the coaches who remain with him--including Kevin Steele and Tee Martin--are in a full-court press to hold on to some of those lads. Gotta be fast, or they'll make irreversible decisions and move on.

At the same time, there are 4 days left to National Signing Day (Wednesday). With a fluid roster, Josh & crew need to very rapidly identify our needs, then find recruits to plug them as best they can. Salvaging the recruiting class in less than a week.

That's two really important clocks ticking down. Ticking fast. I truly believe Josh, Kevin, Tee, and others who remain on staff have gotten together and agreed to keep all that on hold until they wrap up those two issues.

So look for more information to come on staff changes from Thursday on. I wouldn't start worrying until after that.

CA, I think Josh put on hold, for now, decisions on the coaching staff. His focus is on the roster for the next 4 days.

There are a number of players in the portal. I'm sure he and all the coaches who remain with him--including Kevin Steele and Tee Martin--are in a full-court press to hold on to some of those lads. Gotta be fast, or they'll make irreversible decisions and move on.

At the same time, there are 4 days left to National Signing Day (Wednesday). With a fluid roster, Josh & crew need to very rapidly identify our needs, then find recruits to plug them as best they can. Salvaging the recruiting class in less than a week.

That's two really important clocks ticking down. Ticking fast. I truly believe Josh, Kevin, Tee, and others who remain on staff have gotten together and agreed to keep all that on hold until they wrap up those two issues.

So look for more information to come on staff changes from Thursday on. I wouldn't start worrying until after that.

Is there a Netflix show called Full Court Press?

Reactions: jonnon111

This actually makes a lot of sense, but I would suspect if Steele was remaining on staff as DC, that announcement would be made to actually help the roster and recruiting efforts. Which is why in the absence of that announcement, I don’t think he’s the DC going forward. I will be happy to eat my hat on that, however.

You shouldn’t expect anything on Wednesday. Best case scenario is a good DC hire and supporting staff and you maximize your remaining scholarships on transfers. There is no possible way we can expect a staff not yet even hired to close players by Wednesday.
I don't. We're just not hearing much of anything, on transfers or the 22' class either.

Reactions: CA_Vol
Patience is not a hot commodity on the VN boards. Damn it...I want it all...and I want it now! LOL. No wonder the world has gone total dumpster fire. I can wait for these decisions, I have no choice but to trust the AD, HC, and administration. Why worry? Do you really think we would have been better off with CJP next couple years? Did anyone think we were going to get a UT version of Saban? Good grief?

I don't. We're just not hearing much of anything, on transfers or the 22' class either.
And I don’t expect we will for some time. The honest truth is Heupel wasn’t recruiting the same players at UCF. He had zero relationships with these players and can’t be expected to make that happen instantaneously. Which is why who he hires is so important. It needs to be coaches with SEC ties for the sole reason that they would have those relationships.

Could be that Steele is remaining with the team and that why there hasn’t been any mention of an new DC. Who knows, they may be working something out and can guarantee the recruits that Steele is here to stay. Just a theory. Just because we are not being spoon fed the information does not mean things are not in the works.

Tell the NCAA that we penalized ourselves 5 slots in this year's class.

Patience is not a hot commodity on the VN boards. Damn it...I want it all...and I want it now! LOL. No wonder the world has gone total dumpster fire. I can wait for these decisions, I have no choice but to trust the AD, HC, and administration. Why worry? Do you really think we would have been better off with CJP next couple years? Did anyone think we were going to get a UT version of Saban? Good grief?
You’re right, me worrying about coaching hires is akin to why society is falling apart.

Or, it’s hyperbolic and unnecessarily confrontational bs takes like yours that are the problem. I’ll let others decide.

Is there any chance that the announcement of new staff will coincide with the end of some of the previous staff's contracts? If so, then we may hear something tomorrow (Feb 1st).

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
This was the downside to holding off on firing Beldar the Cornbreadian until they could prove cause.

UT is out of cycle a little with most other schools on hiring and firings now so I would imagine that is part of the issue.

Don't blame them for working to get out of paying that buffoon 12 million dollars but it does have Heupel behind the eight ball a little.

Part of the reason I was hoping they could retain Steele and bring in Garner was the time crunch on recruiting. Maybe snag a couple of guys they were talking with at Auburn to try and fill out the class. Plus gives Heupel some proven commodities on defense.

VN Store

Back