When Saban retires, what would CJP do if Bama called

Personally, I want CJP to do so well, that Dabo, and his buyout, are not even considered. Is that kind of success likely, within the timeline? Possibly. But, I am inclined to believe that money will not be an issue, in that case, either. When, or if, Bama comes calling, CJP is gone. But, we would be in a better place, and a new HC wouldn't be as difficult. Not to mention, coaches pay attention. They see the writing on the wall, and they are constantly updated, by their agents, as to possible openings, in the near future. So, great coaches, who are looking to move up, will already be getting themselves in line to jump on an opportunity.

I read they included an Alabama clause as well if they decide to go after him which increases the buy out costs.

If he's smart he won't go. Never be the guy to replace the legend. He'll never be good enough. He can make a career here winning 8 or 9 games a year most years. Not at Bama.

Reactions: spyfish007
When the subject first came up, I felt CJP would have enough pride to want to stay here with the organization with his name on it, the one he had built into a winner, not jump on someone else's ship. He would have to have built a winner here or he wouldn't get that offer anyway.

However, the two most likely possibilities have been totally bound to their present jobs by unbelieveable contracts at Clemson and aTm. That puts a different light on the subject. All things would be possible.

1. Stay here and build a legacy

2. Leave for Bama

3. Or follow the guy who follows Saban

Your thoughts please also this is contingent on Pruitt doing well here and salary offers are roughly equal.

Unless CJP fails miserably at UT, I think he’ll be the #1 candidate for Bama, and I don’t think he could possibly refuse it.

When the subject first came up, I felt CJP would have enough pride to want to stay here with the organization with his name on it, the one he had built into a winner, not jump on someone else's ship. He would have to have built a winner here or he wouldn't get that offer anyway.

However, the two most likely possibilities have been totally bound to their present jobs by unbelieveable contracts at Clemson and aTm. That puts a different light on the subject. All things would be possible.
I think UT would follow suit if Pruitt had them to the level that Bama would be interested

He’s gone if offered. With that being said, if he does well enough here that Bama wants him we should be in a position to land a nice replacement.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I read they included an Alabama clause as well if they decide to go after him which increases the buy out costs.

This is key. Question is how do you get the coach (Dabo in this case) to agree when they’ve got all the leverage?

Clemson:Hey Dabo, we want to give you 93 million and a No Bama clause.

Dabo: How about since I’m good enough for 93 million you take out the Bama clause.

Clemson: OK.

I’m not buying that’s in there.

I honestly couldn’t blame JP if he followed Saban. I mean think about it. Whatever coach follows Saban will inherit a roster full of NFL talent. Top notch recruiting relationships and a school that basically can recruit itself. If JP is a really good coach, then the Bama job is better than any other job in the country.

This is key. Question is how do you get the coach (Dabo in this case) to agree when they’ve got all the leverage?

Clemson:Hey Dabo, we want to give you 93 million and a No Bama clause.

Dabo: How about since I’m good enough for 93 million you take out the Bama clause.

Clemson: OK.

I’m not buying that’s in there.

It's not a really a "No Bama" clause. His buyout simply increases by 50% if he leaves for Bama rather than any other school. Example: his buyout in 3 years is $3 million; if he left for Bama it would jump to $4.5 million.

It basically confirms what everyone already knows: Bama is the only job for which Dabo would even consider leaving Clemson.

I do not understand the idea of many that "if Bama wants Saban that must mean we have really turned it around and can hire another great coach." Were most of you not around in 2010? USC lost a coach who had won a national title and they needed a replacement. They hired Lane Kiffin whose best win was over an 8-5 Georgia team. They lost to VT in the chicken bowl. Did USC hire Kiffin because his performance was so great at Tennessee? No they hired him because he was the coach willing to take the job. And from Tennessee's perspective, were we able to leverage that "success" into hiring the next great coach? Not even close. All that said I don't think Saban is going anywhere so this is a moot point. I think he will coach into his 70's like coach K and a lot of other successful coaches.

Reactions: UTwild82
I honestly couldn’t blame JP if he followed Saban. I mean think about it. Whatever coach follows Saban will inherit a roster full of NFL talent. Top notch recruiting relationships and a school that basically can recruit itself. If JP is a really good coach, then the Bama job is better than any other job in the country.
I agree that he would go if they wanted him. He doesn’t seem to be afraid of anything, and it’s probably his dream job. That being said he’s all in right now for U.T. and that’s good enough for me.

If it ever happens, we should be so fortunate that Pruitt has had enough success at UT to be considered. That may or may not happen, and until it does I am not going to worry about it. Unfortunately Pruitt may leave long before it's an issue. I truly hope not though.

It's not a really a "No Bama" clause. His buyout simply increases by 50% if he leaves for Bama rather than any other school. Example: his buyout in 3 years is $3 million; if he left for Bama it would jump to $4.5 million.

It basically confirms what everyone already knows: Bama is the only job for which Dabo would even consider leaving Clemson.
There's nothing Clemson can do to make it cost prohibitive for Alabama to hire Dabo away. I don't think he's going to Alabama because he won't want to. Why would he? I know it's home, but he's won multiple titles and has an easier path to titles at Clemson, and Clemson could reasonably meet any offer from Alabama. He's also been at Clemson since 2003. It isn't like he hasn't put roots down there. Clemson must feel like home to him as well, at least to a certain extent. From Dabo's perspective, the costs seem to outweigh the benefits of going to Alabama, unless he just really wants to return home. The money will be largely the same, and he can win at the same level more easily where he is now.

Pruitt will only be considered if he wins an SEC title before Saban retires. I don't think Alabama would even be interested if he wasn't won any hardware. Some "good seasons" or simply improving Tennessee isn't good enough for y'all.

If Saban retired tomorrow, obviously your first call would be Dabo. If he said no, I think you'd have to call Kirby, but I also think he'd say no. After those two obvious options, I'm not sure who you'd target after that.

I do not understand the idea of many that "if Bama wants Saban that must mean we have really turned it around and can hire another great coach." Were most of you not around in 2010? USC lost a coach who had won a national title and they needed a replacement. They hired Lane Kiffin whose best win was over an 8-5 Georgia team. They lost to VT in the chicken bowl. Did USC hire Kiffin because his performance was so great at Tennessee? No they hired him because he was the coach willing to take the job. And from Tennessee's perspective, were we able to leverage that "success" into hiring the next great coach? Not even close. All that said I don't think Saban is going anywhere so this is a moot point. I think he will coach into his 70's like coach K and a lot of other successful coaches.

Lane was the fall guy for the probation that Carroll got USC into, and was stupid enough to fall for it. How he thought he could succeed with the scholarship restrictions is beyond me, but no one ever accussed him of not having an ego.

I agree that Saban will be around for quite some time. He recently stated he was having hip surgery so that he could coach "far into the future". My hope is that he will finally stroke out during one of his rants against the press, but I doubt we get that lucky.

There's nothing Clemson can do to make it cost prohibitive for Alabama to hire Dabo away. I don't think he's going to Alabama because he won't want to. Why would he? He's won multiple titles and has an easier path to titles at Clemson, and Clemson could reasonably meet any offer from Alabama.

Pruitt will only be considered if he wins an SEC title before Saban retires. I don't think Alabama would even be interested if he wasn't won any hardware. Some "good seasons" or simply improving Tennessee isn't good enough for y'all.

If Saban retired tomorrow, obviously your first call would be Dabo. If he said no, I think you'd have to call Kirby, but I also think he'd say no. After those two obvious options, I'm not sure who you'd target after that.

Agree about Dabo. He made Clemson what it is, has a great situation there, and would not want to be the guy to follow Saban. No one should want to follow Saban, the most likely outcome is failure.

Also agree that Pruitt won't even be a candidate unless he has some success at UT. I hope he does, but until he does, this is a non-topic.

For me the biggest question is just how bright Pruitt is. Who in their right mind would want to be the very next man to follow Saban. Whoever it is will likely have some success initially but to do so in the long term is doubtful.

Pruitt has yet to prove anything. Until he does, AL won't consider him. I choose to wait and see if he turns TN in to a winning team, then I'll worry.

For me the biggest question is just how bright Pruitt is. Who in their right mind would want to be the very next man to follow Saban. Whoever it is will likely have some success initially but to do so in the long term is doubtful.

Do you think most Bama fans will expect anything close to Saban? If they have at least one functioning brain cell, they will realize that a Nick Saban won’t come around again.

VN Store

Back