When Johnny Came Marching Home.

images

As with many movies, the music "makes the movie". This is not necessarily the case. The video speaks for itself with the sound muted. The music could speak for Coach Majors by it's self. Together, they speak loudly and quietly with reverence. Very nice tribute...

That must be either the '85 0r '86 season staff. I recognize coaches, Fulmer, Donahue, Mathews, Kippy Brown, Cutcliffe, Zook and Walt Harris, along with coach Majors.
Al Saunders bottom right. Is the guy between Zook and Cutcliffe Bumpas? He is the only one I do not know for sure. Thought Zook was only here for the 1985 season. May be wrong on that.

Johnny had the number one class in the country in 1977 I believe. 7,8 parade all Americans. Very high attrition rate. It was really wierd. So many odd things happened with those guys. It set the rebuild back.

Reactions: ArdentVol and qb19
Al Saunders bottom right. Is the guy between Zook and Cutcliffe Bumpas? He is the only one I do not know for sure. Thought Zook was only here for the 1985 season. May be wrong on that.
I met Al Saunders on the elevator at the Senior Bowl, January 2017. I am a huge Titans fan and had my Titan hat on - he reminded me he was the Rams offensive coordinator for Super Bowl 34 (still hurts). He was very kind, told me he had many fond memories of his years in Tennessee. I also got Josh Dobbs to autograph my Vol hat, so it was a great trip. I was very touched by Joshua as I had a great nephew who passed away at 12 years of age. Josh and the team visited my great-nephew Ethan when he was ill. Will never forget their kindness.

For some reason I recall that SI did a cover story in 1977 with the theme of "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" and/or with another quote from Majors "It mean something to wear that orange jersey" . Maybe it was a regional SI or some other sports magazine but I can't find it online. The other quote from Johnny was "Our day will come" after a loss to Fla in either 1984 or 1991. Unfortunately for Johnny that day never came.

Reactions: qb19
For some reason I recall that SI did a cover story in 1977 with the theme of "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" and/or with another quote from Majors "It mean something to wear that orange jersey" . Maybe it was a regional SI or some other sports magazine but I can't find it online. The other quote from Johnny was "Our day will come" after a loss to Fla in either 1984 or 1991. Unfortunately for Johnny that day never came.

Found this. Great read. https://vault.si.com/vault/1977/03/28/that-orange-shirt-means-something

Reactions: TNVOLNAVY
Wow - just back from a short vacay and had not heard of Johnny Majors passing till right now. Am very saddened as Ol Coach Majors was a VFL and an all around good guy. Was at UT in 77 when he came back like the prodigal son and while he didn't get us a NC, he made Vol fans feel good about being Vol fans after the Bill Battle years.

Rest well Coach Majors - you've earned a special place in this Vols heart.

Reactions: qb19

VN Store

Back