What's the first restaurant you remember as a kid?

Albertie’s (before it was Naples) or Regas or the Quarterback on Cumberland Avenue or Burger Chef on Kingston Pike at Westwood Road (west end of Sutherland Avenue) or the earlier Shoney’s in Homberg or Shakey’s Pizza near West Hills or Ivanhoe (before it became the Copper Cellar) or Kay’s (although it was more ice cream only) or Howard Johnson’s on Kingston Pike at Weisgarber. Probably the Shoney’s with the drive-in in the back.
Regas & Alberti's...loved them!

Reactions: CPA and MAD
A&W, Mrs. Williams Seafood, or the dining room of the pre-1965 version of the DeSoto Hotel.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAD
View attachment 471834
images
images
images
images

Carrols was my first burger joint. They had a gravel parking lot. Burgers were 13 cents. Then, McDonald's built across the street. Their burger were 15 cents, but they had a paved parking lot and national advertising.

The Dwarf(?) I think it was called in Maryville is the first restaurant I remember going to.

The first I remember in Knoxville is either Godfather's pizza or Duff's Smorgasbord

Reactions: TN-POSSUM and MAD
Rax or McDonalds for fast food and Western Sizzler or Shoneys for sit-down.

I would have to say the Crosseyed Cricket near Lenoir City. Also, we went to Edwards a lot.

Nice! My roommate at Maryville College worked at the Cricket through high school and into his college years. I *think* his dad played music there from time to time as well(?)

The first restaurant/eatery I remember: Kay's Ice Cream, in Maryville.

Reactions: Boca Vol and MAD
What's the first restaurant you remember as a kid?

It’s either Shoney’s Big Boy or Arby’s both on Kingston Pike for me.

View attachment 471396View attachment 471397
Fun thread! I lived Arby’s as a youngster. Two of the restaurants I remember as a kid were The Burning Bush in Gatlinburg, and the Apple Tree Inn in Pigeon Forge. Better days, when G-Burg and the Forge werent an absolute desecration.

Reactions: CPA and MAD
Carrols was my first burger joint. They had a gravel parking lot. Burgers were 13 cents. Then, McDonald's built across the street. Their burger were 15 cents, but they had a paved parking lot and national advertising.
Interesting......I was very young when we used to go to Carrols, probably around 5, but I remember their burgers kind of tasting like a Big Mac I think.

I have early 60s memories of Shoneys and first McD I ever saw, but they were both in East Knoxville.

And what was that old-school family restaurant at Four-way In, on 11-E, East of Knoxville? Was it at crossroads on west side of Carter community? Or was it further east, closer to New Market, N of Dandridge?

Last edited:
Much younger than the rest of you. First one I have specific memories of was a Mexican place called Titos in Chattanoogs right by Hamilton place mall.

It's where the Sticky Fingers went. Not sure if they are still there, overlooking 75.

somewhere along the line that place was an L&N restaurant also....Sticky Fingers isn't there anymore. they are remodeling the place again

Reactions: LouderVol and MAD

VN Store

Back