What's the coldest Tennessee game you've attended?

I went to the 69 Cotton Bowl. Not only was it 33 degrees but the wind was blowing about 33 MPH too. And Oh I almost forgot, we were behind 28-0 at the half!
My parents still talk about the cold and misery of that game.
The single reason my dad hates Texas

Can't remember the coldest.
I have a lot of arctic clothing.
The hottest was when Smokey and I had a heat stroke. UCLA maybe??
Snowing hard in Alaska when I left , got to Knoxville it was 100 degrees plus.
Was pretty tough back then but the temperature change kicked my butt.
Then again, alcohol was involved.

Wasn’t there but the 2000 cotton bowl is the only time my dad said that he left a game early must’ve been awful
It had snowed and was miserable and the fact that Jonathan Beasley and Josh Scobey were showing out for K-STATE made it worse.

Went to Kentucky game in Knoxville. Can't remember the year but Travis Henry was playing. It was 20 degrees and tickets were free from scalpers.

Reactions: VolDave53
2000 against Kentucky. Night game. Never got out of the 30s. I was in the upper deck on the east side of the stadium, about 10 rows from the top. Wind was just enough to make it feel a lot worse. The only good thing about that day was the score (59-20). There was no one within 20 rows of me and for the life of me, I'll never understand why I didn't move down to somewhere warmer...if such a place existed.

My #2 game has to be 2016 against Mizzou. My wife and daughter were with me. We froze our tails off at that game. Again, upper deck but southwest corner. The score made that one bearable as well.

The coldest Vols game I been to was the 2010 Music City Bowl (I tend to make my trips to Knoxville early in season when "cold" is 80). Made colder due to the BS outcome.

The coldest non-Vols game was the Titans-Jaguars game in December 2017. Think that set the record at the time for coldest kickoff temp for a Titans home game.

I went to a Vandy game in God knows what year at Neyland where it was 12 degrees. Sat in the very top row of the stadium right under the VOLS sign with the wind howling. Needless to say, I was miserable.

I played a rugby match in 19 degree weather once in Asheville where we had to play solely in traditional uniforms (only jersey, shorts, and socks).

Reactions: Coach_Z
TN vs Notre Dame 1990 at Neyland. Notre Dame was ranked #1 and I believe we were 12. We had Dale Carter and the had Rocket. I bought scalpers tickets $70 each 13 rows up right in the middle of the Notre Dame fans. Didn’t know that at the time of purchase. It was before the north end zone top layer was added. I remember it being very sunny and very cold. I kept telling myself that it’ll get warmer when the sun shines on my section. The sun did shine, but it never got any warmer. It only got windier. Couple that with the end result and it wasn’t the best day.

This post by @VOLnMiami made me think about some of the extremely cold temperatures I've endured in November as a Vols' fan over the years. I don't remember the exact seasons, but a couple of my trips to Lexington were... painful. It's like the cold concrete in that stadium creeps up from your feet, slowly stealing any remaining warmth in your body. lol.

So, what's the coldest Tennessee game you've attended?
It's definitely '81 for me as well. Outside of the UK/UT series, I'll never set foot in K States stadium. That one was nuts!

CUHPWMuWoAI69N-

This was done back in 2015.......
This can't be right. 1997 at Arkansas was absolutely freezing.

UT verses ARK played in Little Rock. Pleasant fall autumn afternoon. Dressed in a light jacket. Should have looked at the weather forecast. Got dark and wind got up out of the north. Froze our butt off. Think Peyton was a junior.....not sure. 2 nursing students sat behind us and eyewitnesses menopause by my wife. One minute she looked like an eskimo...the next like a swimmer. Me...I just felt and looked like a frozen statue.

1974 Liberty Bowl Tennessee 7 Maryland 3

It was Cold as a Witch’s tit

Larry Seivers leaping end zone catch, won the game!
Go Vols

Reactions: TOUCHDOWN!!TN
I can't remember the year other than saying it was the early 90's, Tennessee played Louisville and there was snow flurries throughout the day. I have been to several Tennessee/Vandy games that were brutally cold as well.

The absolute worst though was a high school football game a few years ago with single digit temperatures.

Vandy in 2014 (ish?) it was in the 30's but the Neyland Wind effect was in full force.. We were frozen.
Yes...been to a lot of cold games over the many years but I like to have froze at this VU/Vol game too for some reason. Maybe the wind chill but it was horrible. I was the Liberty Bowl in 1983 IIRC and Boston College/Norte Dame played. Ice and snow and some people were building fires in the stands. I remember a large crowd too. I was much younger and endured it well of course but it was absolutely brutal!

I know it was pretty cold on the highest point of Nissan Stadium during the Music City bowl against Nebraska a few years back. Dobbs lit them up!

VN Store

Back