What's at stake Wednesday

TMHoosierVol

Thread Assassin
What's at stake over the last four remaining conference and two likely SEC tourney games?

Tennessee is 16-10 (7-5) with a RPI ranking of 25 (0.6109). If we win both home games, and that's a big IF, and lose both away games, which appears highly likely, we would finish 18-12 (9-7). Couple that with a 1st round win over Alabama and a 2nd round loss to LSU and our final record would be 19-13.

That alone, just from our winning percentage which is 25% of the total RPI formula, would drop us 0.005 points
in RPI which equates to five positions. Then, with the fact that our last 6 opponents have an average RPI of 77 between them, the remainder of the formula will also drop slightly. We're looking at a final RPI of 30-32, a 9-7conference record in the weakest BCS conference this year and a 5-5 record in their last ten games. That is pure bubble territory, last 4 in if lucky.

That was my best case scenario. I expect Rick Stansbury and his team to out coach and out work us to win Wednesday. Why? They need it and want it as badly as we do. That said, the above numbers would reflect a drop probably to the mid 30's, with a final 10 game record of 4-6, LAST 4 OUT TERRITORY. Only the influence of Mike Slive over the selection committee could save us.

Conclusion: Wednesday night is a MUST, MUST, MUST win for this team. TBA needs to be filled to the rafters and the fans must bring their "A" games right along with the team.

Last edited:
While I'm hopeful that our team will realize the importance of every game from here on out, I don't expect them to.

When does the NIT start? Not saying we are going there, but surely that is a lock? If Pearl would play zone D, and ban the 3, we could be in the tourney.

We are offically done if we do not win Wednesday night. If this team does not play any better than they did last week they will once again get beat by a team that they have more talent than.
On a side note, what do you guys think about Rick Standbury at State, I think he is a great coach. I mean I know he hasnt gone to any elite 8's or final 4's but he constanly has State in the think of things in the SECW and most of the time has them in the NCAA tournament.

NCAA or NIT bid. Win and we are in. If not, then they had better get it together before the SEC tounrey and get the automatic bid by being the SEC Champ....

We are offically done if we do not win Wednesday night. If this team does not play any better than they did last week they will once again get beat by a team that they have more talent than.
On a side note, what do you guys think about Rick Standbury at State, I think he is a great coach. I mean I know he hasnt gone to any elite 8's or final 4's but he constanly has State in the think of things in the SECW and most of the time has them in the NCAA tournament.

Thanks for correcting me on MSU's coach, had a brainfart.

Last edited:
I saw we win both home games we are probably in, win those and an SECT game and we're definitely in.

Either way I think we need 3 more wins to absolutely positively make the NCAAT, and at least 2 to pretty much make it. Anything less and I think we're NIT/CBI/Rocky Top League bound.

VN Store

Back