What will the new LNS capacity be?

lukeneyland

God Save the Heup
Does anyone have any guesses or good info. Can’t be big enough in my opinion. I can’t wait to head up to Knoxville for baseball this spring

Reactions: Bigun
Do you know if we will see expansion this year?

I agree with OT, now maybe it’s more of a permanent structure than just bleachers, but I haven’t seen any updates on any kind of construction going on there. Granted I haven’t been keeping up as much as of late, but it seems like a renovation of any kind would be touted and make some news.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Permanent construction requires permits. The permitting process can be very time consuming. First you have to design the permanent improvements and then draw it up and submit the drawings for the permits, then wait for the review of the applications before actually obtaining the permits. It would be nice to know if permit requests have been submitted or whether they are still in the design stage. Since we haven't heard, I'm assuming they're still trying to figure out the design, and haven't submitted permits for permanent improvements. It's likely we'll see temporary bleachers down the left field line again this season.

Permanent construction requires permits. The permitting process can be very time consuming. First you have to design the permanent improvements and then draw it up and submit the drawings for the permits, then wait for the review of the applications before actually obtaining the permits. It would be nice to know if permit requests have been submitted or whether they are still in the design stage. Since we haven't heard, I'm assuming they're still trying to figure out the design, and haven't submitted permits for permanent improvements. It's likely we'll see temporary bleachers down the left field line again this season.

Yep.

I understand they are still in figuring out stage overhearing a conversation this weekend from some high up guys. They are preparing a couple of sets of drawings so that if one gets shot down they don't have to start over. Remember, it will be a long process because you have the school, city, and state involved along with railroad if you are doing anything in right field since I was told the parking lot out there belongs to the railroad. That will take a lot of time and negotiating along with just figuring out how to meet everyone's needs and a plan that can have steps so that you can do some each year for a few years during the off season.

I understand they are still in figuring out stage overhearing a conversation this weekend from some high up guys. They are preparing a couple of sets of drawings so that if one gets shot down they don't have to start over. Remember, it will be a long process because you have the school, city, and state involved along with railroad if you are doing anything in right field since I was told the parking lot out there belongs to the railroad. That will take a lot of time and negotiating along with just figuring out how to meet everyone's needs and a plan that can have steps so that you can do some each year for a few years during the off season.

Yes. If CSX will be flexible (usually they are not) then there might be some opportunity there. And the do's and don'ts with respect to Tod Helton Drive and Pat Summitt Street ROWs need to be understood first. Those things will tell you what the limits are to an expansion footprint. Once those things are known, they can begin designing and submitting plans to the review agencies. They may already have accomplished these first steps for all I know.

Reactions: TN_gal
Yes. If CSX will be flexible (usually they are not) then there might be some opportunity there. And the do's and don'ts with respect to Tod Helton Drive and Pat Summitt Street ROWs need to be understood first. Those things will tell you what the limits are to an expansion footprint. Once those things are known, they can begin designing and submitting plans to the review agencies. They may already have accomplished these first steps for all I know.

Not a lot of space to work with but if they can do ANYTHING with the dog leg on Helton Dr., it would be a huge help. I think it would be a good idea to rotate the stadium 90° right so home plate is at THDr and PSSt, a new design might fit that way better if the THDr can be moved west in current right field.

Attachments

• E1AD8853-2164-45B1-BFFB-FB119212517F.jpeg
    E1AD8853-2164-45B1-BFFB-FB119212517F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
Reactions: youcancallmeAl
Not a lot of space to work with but if they can do ANYTHING with the dog leg on Helton Dr., it would be a huge help. I think it would be a good idea to rotate the stadium 90° right so home plate is at THDr and PSSt, a new design might fit that way better if the THDr can be moved west in current right field.

I don't think that home plate location would work with respect to sun orientation. For an afternoon game, with the sun in the western sky, it would be in the batter's eye.

As far as the real estate that the roadways and CSX takes up, it will depend on many factors whether or not UT can use any of it.

I don't think that home plate location would work with respect to sun orientation. For an afternoon game, with the sun in the western sky, it would be in the batter's eye.

As far as the real estate that the roadways and CSX takes up, it will depend on many factors whether or not UT can use any of it.
Good point on late day sun, although rotating to south could be an option also. Even if they can add 25-50’ of easement to the usable footprint bordering all of Helton Dr. would be a huge help.

Good point on late day sun, although rotating to south could be an option also. Even if they can add 25-50’ of easement to the usable footprint bordering all of Helton Dr. would be a huge help.

I think you're thinking like a site planner/designer. That's what I do for a living.

Putting home plate to the south would give a common ball field orientation to the sun. But that might not be best for the entry sequence and parking, etc.
And if we could grab half of the THD ROW, and use that for stadium expansion, that would help, as you note. The remainder of the ROW could be used for emergency vehicle circulation/access, but the RR and traffic and emergency services agencies would all have to agree, and that's a tall order.

I think 7,500 would be a good seating capacity for LNS.

*nods* I think so too. That sounds like a good number of seats.

FWIW, in a recent interview, Coach V said that he could see seating capacity eventually go up to 8,000 9,000-10,000 (gradually adding sections).

Last edited:
FWIW, in a recent interview, Coach V said that he could see seating capacity eventually go up to 8,000 (gradually adding sections).

That is better information than anyone on the board here has, because he's been in meetings with architects and engineers who have outlined the basic limits to seating capacity for him. If he said that, then that number is probably where we're headed in multiple construction phases over a few year's time.

That is better information than anyone on the board here has, because he's been in meetings with architects and engineers who have outlined the basic limits to seating capacity for him. If he said that, then that number is probably where we're headed in multiple construction phases over a few year's time.

Yes, he mentioned the seating would be added in phases over several years. Echoing what you said, he's probably been in meetings with architects and engineers, or at least seen potential designs. He also said that he would like to see opposing teams surrounded by Vol fans when they play at LNS, making it the toughest place to play. He also mentioned being hopeful that plans would be firmed up in the next month or two. Along with the design, they have to figure out when construction can realistically be done between seasons and practice, etc.

Here's the interview:

Renovation talk from 9:20-11:45

After listening to the interview again, he mentioned 9,000-10,000 as the eventual seating capacity (not 8,000).

Last edited:
I think doing it gradually makes a lot of sense. Build the fan base so you can eventually sell out the top SEC home series’s in the regular season and have plenty of room for regionals. There’s still work to be done in that regard.

I agree. Gradual seems a good path forward. That way, seating can be added as needed as the fan base continues to grow. In the meantime, Coach V said that semi-permanent seating would added down the LF line (similar to what was done during Regionals) and that perhaps another porch would also be added.

Last edited:
Reactions: vol66
I agree. Gradual seems a good path forward. That way, seating can be added as needed as the fan base continues to grow. In the meantime, he said that semi-permanent seating would added down the LF line (similar to what was done during Regionals) and that perhaps another porch would also be added.

Yep. So I looked at last years attendance for the Saturday games versus VU (2000+) and LSU (3000+), so we have time, if we had 8000 or even 6000 this year, it would seem pretty empty most of the time, which you know, LSU even looks that way most of the season, so I mean, that’s what we can expect too.

Reactions: TN_gal
Yep. So I looked at last years attendance for the Saturday games versus VU (2000+) and LSU (3000+), so we have time, if we had 8000 or even 6000 this year, it would seem pretty empty most of the time, which you know, LSU even looks that way most of the season, so I mean, that’s what we can expect too.

Thanks for looking at last year's numbers. Yes, we definitely don't want to have a bunch of empty seats - especially for the early home series in March when it's still cold. 8,000 currently seems enormous and after listening to Coach V's interview again, (I posted it above) he actually said 9,000-10,000 rather than 8,000 (I remembered incorrectly).

We have plenty of time.

Reactions: vol66

VN Store

Back