What we face annually

unfrozencvmanvol

Nico came, he saw, he conquered.
"Heading in to the 2021 college football season, Texas A&M - a team that has lost 10 games over the past 3 years - will boast a roster with 39 Top 300 prospects on its roster. The Florida Gators- fresh off of an 8-4 season - will have 42 Top 300 prospects on their roster in 2021. LSU will have 43. Texas - and their propensity to be in an unending state of “back” - will have 47. Dabo’s boys will be rolling with a roster of 53 Top 300 prospects. Ryan Day’s Buckeyes enter the 2021 season with 57 Top 300 Prospects. The SEC East’s current recruiting hegemon, Georgia, will be fielding 61 Top 300 prospects on their football roster. And Alabama - fresh off of yet another Playoff victory - will have 70 Top 300 prospects on a football roster of 85 players.

Entering 2021, no other team in the nation has more than 30."

We play 3 of these teams annually. Last year we played 4, this is the inequity we face in terms of players.

Let’s Expand the Playoff! Part 3 - Recruiting is an Oligopoly

Last edited:
Just close up shop then.
Not at all, but if the fanbase takes honest stock of where things stand, it'll breed the patience necessary for Heupel to try and rebuild the program. Pruitt had to go but barring some similar scandal Heupel needs 5-7 years no matter what. We will never get anywhere if the vicious cycle of unreasonable expectations leading to disappointment and a coach on the hot seat by year 3 continues.

Only because 13 other SEC schools allow it to happen.
What does that mean? All the other SEC schools just rolled over and let Saban win?

What you're seeing now, and have seen for the about the last 5 years, is Alabama continuing to move ahead because of inertia. Saban would never admit that, but it is totally true. Alabama doesn't even have to recruit right now. All of the top players simply want to go there because of the track record, and they choose the ones they want. But the reason why their program has this momentum in the first place is because of what he built during the first 2-4 years.

What does that mean? All the other SEC schools just rolled over and let Saban win?

What you're seeing now, and have seen for the about the last 5 years, is Alabama continuing to move ahead because of inertia. Saban would never admit that, but it is totally true. Alabama doesn't even have to recruit right now. All of the top players simply want to go there because of the track record, and they choose the ones they want. But the reason why their program has this momentum in the first place is because of what he built during the first 2-4 years.
No, all the 13 other schools allow Alabama play by different rules than the rest of the conference.

Reactions: igotworms
14000+ days since...... you know

You say that like it bothers us. It doesn’t. We’re one of the most consistent programs in the country. We don’t fall off like Tennessee, Auburn, Nebraska, Texas, and so forth. You can always count on us to win 10 games, be ranked high, and contend. If you told me we could win a title but then fall off a cliff I wouldn’t take it.

We own all of our rivals. Great time to be a Dawg.

You say that like it bothers us. It doesn’t. We’re one of the most consistent programs in the country. We don’t fall off like Tennessee, Auburn, Nebraska, Texas, and so forth. You can always count on us to win 10 games, be ranked high, and contend. If you told me we could win a title but then fall off a cliff I wouldn’t take it.

Whole lot of words for something that doesn’t bother you

Reactions: salutethehill

I remember watching the Bama vs Clemson game to start the 2008 season in Atlanta. I’ve never seen such a transformation between year 1 and year 2 as I saw that night and that year. Just a complete demolition of a Clemson team that was supposed to be better. It had zero to do with cheating, it was just a complete mindset of out physicalling the other team. They kicked their ass . I hate to admit it, but it was one of the more impressive things I’ve seen in team sports. Going from that 7-6 team to a dominant football program that quickly .

I remember watching the Bama vs Clemson game to start the 2008 season in Atlanta. I’ve never seen such a transformation between year 1 and year 2 as I saw that night and that year. Just a complete demolition of a Clemson team that was supposed to be better. It had zero to do with cheating, it was just a complete mindset of out physicalling the other team. They kicked their ass . I hate to admit it, but it was one of the more impressive things I’ve seen in team sports. Going from that 7-6 team to a dominant football program that quickly .
The really interesting thing about those 2008 and 2009 teams is that Saban was beating teams that were, at best, just as talented as him. It is a ridiculous point of criticism in college sports, but a frequent critique of Saban is that what he's doing isn't as impressive as you think because he never plays a team that is more talented than his. Well, in 2008 and 2009 he was, and he won a title then too. Urban's 2009 Gator squad was more talented and deeper than Saban's squad and Saban dismantled it.

The really interesting thing about those 2008 and 2009 teams is that Saban was beating teams that were, at best, just as talented as him. It is a ridiculous point of criticism in college sports, but a frequent critique of Saban is that what he's doing isn't as impressive as you think because he never plays a team that is more talented than his. Well, in 2008 and 2009 he was, and he won a title then too. Urban's 2009 Gator squad was more talented and deeper than Saban's squad and Saban dismantled it.

I will never argue that Saban is the greatest Xs and Os coach in the game. But there is not, and has never been, anyone better at player development. Saban gets great talent, but that talent gets developed to the greatest extent possible.

I will never argue that Saban is the greatest Xs and Os coach in the game. But there is not, and has never been, anyone better at player development. Saban gets great talent, but that talent gets developed to the greatest extent possible.
Saban is the best recruiter, player developer, and coaching staff builder the sport has ever seen. And it honestly isn't even all that close. Saban's coaching staffs have turnover as though they were a struggling program, and it's like it doesn't matter at all.

...and at the college level, I do think he is a good Xs and Os coach, especially on defense. I don't think there are many, if any, coaches who understand defense more than him. There are of course coaches who understand offense more than him, but he's better than anybody else at finding those coaches who know more than him and getting them on his staff.

Saban is the best recruiter, player developer, and coaching staff builder the sport has ever seen. And it honestly isn't even all that close. Saban's coaching staffs have turnover as though they were a struggling program, and it's like it doesn't matter at all.

...and at the college level, I do think he is a good Xs and Os coach, especially on defense. I don't think there are many, if any, coaches who understand defense more than him. There are of course coaches who understand offense more than him, but he's better than anybody else at finding those coaches who know more than him and getting them on his staff.

It's impressive how he modifies his offensive philosophy to fit his personnel. I hate it, but it's impressive.

It's impressive how he modifies his offensive philosophy to fit his personnel. I hate it, but it's impressive.
Not just to fit his personnel, but to keep up with how the game changes. He isn't beholden to winning using any style in particular.

Reactions: McDad
Not at all, but if the fanbase takes honest stock of where things stand, it'll breed the patience necessary for Heupel to try and rebuild the program. Pruitt had to go but barring some similar scandal Heupel needs 5-7 years no matter what. We will never get anywhere if the vicious cycle of unreasonable expectations leading to disappointment and a coach on the hot seat by year 3 continues.

It is not freaking unreasonable to ask the UT always beat Georgia State.

It is also not unreasonable to ask that UT win more than 3 damn games.

It is however, unreasonable to ask fans ignore things like that.

Successful people always surround themselves with other smart people.

Reactions: GroverCleveland

Awww. It's another labrador needing affirmation from opposing fans on their own board.

Here's a pat on the head and a cookie. Now go away.

uga: Tash program and the most annoyingly needy fanbase in sports.

But at least its interrupting the Saban-worship in here.......

VN Store

Back