What Was Your Most Heartbreaking Moment As A Sports Fan?

Tell us your most heartbreaking moment as a sports fan?

Mine has to be the Texas A&M double overtime loss in 2016.
Or
Florida in 99, first loss after winning the National championship.

Out of curiosity, what would yours be when solely considering the Detroit Lions?

Last edited:
Reactions: MAD
A couple of games and moments really stick out.........The one that still makes me sick was the 2000-2001 APSU vs Eastern Illinois in the OVC championship game. Peay blew an 18 point lead with 6 minutes left. Lost on a last second “goal tending” call. It wasn’t goal tending. Peay was loaded that season with Trenton Hassell.......
04383AD0-554A-4FDD-9A5C-CEDAD1065769.png

NFL: Vanderjagt missing the winning field goal in 2005 over the Steelers (Colts would have won it all otherwise)
CFB: The end of the 2015 UT OU game
NASCAR: 2018 end of Roval race. JJ almost got back to VL

Gosh. There have been so many over the years. Most have been mentioned. Here are a few more that took me a while to get over:

1968 Colts loss to the Jets.

1976 hoops loss to VMI

1977 hoops loss to Syracuse

2007 Monica Abbott & company two consecutive losses to Arizona in finals after beating Arizona twice consecutively

Reactions: ArdentVol and MAD
Hands down worst sports moment was the 2001 SEC Championship game vs. LSU.

I still have nightmares of the name Matt Mauck..
DITTO. This loss derailed our opportunity for a 2and National Title game appearance and would have helped me get over 99 season.

Damn Immaculate reception that wasnt vs Steelers. My Raiders got hosed and then again against Belecheat and Fumblerooskie Brady. It was a damn fumble not a tuck. Ha

Tell us your most heartbreaking moment as a sports fan?

Mine has to be the Texas A&M double overtime loss in 2016.
Or
Florida in 99, first loss after winning the National championship.

Back before almost all games were on cable TV or dish I drove three hours from Denver to Goodland, KS because the Vols game wasn't being telecast in Denver and I had been told the regional game being telecast in Kansas would be the Vols game. Rented a motel room, bought a six pack turned the TV on. UT game wasn't on.

Last edited:
Bama in '09. My Platoon Sergeant was a Bama fan. I had the text typed out ready to send...

'04 ALCS. F***

'17 Stanley Cup. Hornqvist with the series winning goal.

Kentucky football. Pretty much all of it.
I went to Lexington in 2017 (my PL was a UK grad). Good game, and UK fans were actually pretty cool. (Also met Cornelius Bennett).

I then took him to Knoxville in 2018. That was glorious.

VN Store

Back