What was the reason for Notre Dame comeback in the 2ND quarter?

Haven’t been to the Final Four in a decade! That’s called irrelevant!

That’s not irrelevant..... it’s disappointing.... if it was that easy to go to the final four.... everyone would be going.....if we blow out Holly.... we better have one heck of a plan or we will find out what irrelevant looks like..... just look at our football team as an example.

Reactions: 6 people
I would like to officially welcome all these newcomers to the lady Vols basketball forum. Cuz clearly none of you speak when we have won 15 games - just come out for only this ...

This logic is exactly the reason we have arguably the most talented team in women's basketball being "coached" by one of the worst individuals who knows how to teach players to play to their abilities! :loco: For YEARS now she has proven her lack of coaching ability!

Yes, we are 15-2 but overall we have played cupcake teams with maybe two or three exceptions. No way this team should be ranked 222nd in the NCAA in turnovers! FIRE HOLLY NOW! :thud::thud::loco::loco:

Reactions: 2 people
Haven’t been to the Final Four in a decade! That’s called irrelevant!

Fun fact or depressing now: every graduating class from the University of Tennessee (assuming they were there for 4 years) experienced the final 4 at least once for 30 years from the time it started in 1981-1982 until 2010-2011. The 2012 graduating class (Shekinna Stricklen and Glory Johnson) was the first to miss out on that experience and every class since then has missed out.

Interestingly enough, the Summer of 2011 was when Pat announced she was having health problems and even though she technically was the coach in 2011-2012, for all practical purposes, Holly was the head coach then up to now.

So, basically EVERY team that Pat started AND finished coaching the season, every 4 year class under her experienced a final 4. EVERY year Holly has had a hand head coaching in has missed out to this point.

Reactions: 5 people
Coach Holly said it was because the team was not pounding the ball into Russell. One expert commentator, L?, said that it was the turnovers. Clearly, Tennessee was overpassing and forcing the ball into Russell. Who was telling the truth?

They cut off Russell after down 20 and we kept forcing it inside making a turnover or running to much clock and taking a bad shot. The part I can't figure out is we just stopped playing defense, layup after layup right up till the end of the game with no adjustment on our part. No top 20 teams on the floor tonight.

Reactions: 3 people
That’s not irrelevant..... it’s disappointing.... if it was that easy to go to the final four.... everyone would be going.....if we blow out Holly.... we better have one heck of a plan or we will find out what irrelevant looks like..... just look at our football team as an example.

Are you kidding? The Lady Vols are the UNC, Duke, KY of men's basketball. They could hire almost any coach they wanted. The coach that follows a legend rarely is successful and we're going to see that continue with Warlick at the helm. Time to make a change or we will continue to experience what we have experienced the past 4 years

Reactions: 3 people
Reasons for the change?

#1 Rennia's early foul trouble and being taken out in the first half.

#2 Russell getting smacked in the mouth(no foul?) and then playing timid the rest of the game.

#3 No help at all from the bench players.

#4 Holly (clueless)

#5 Bad shots and turnovers.

#6 No Dunbar to shoot the ball in the second half when the freshmen were brain dead

Reactions: 4 people
I was attending a game elsewhere and missed it. Can someone please confirm to me that:

1-Holly took off her jacket
2-Holly stood with her hands on her hips and looked disgusted after turnovers and in 2nd half
3-Holly rubbed her hands through her hair at the post game presser
4-Tennessee finished the game with timeouts to spare despite the run by ND to win it

I said I would not return to TBA until she is gone. So far, I've enjoyed our "local" team as I seen a youthful coach who is enthusiastic and a team that did not quit despite getting beat in the 2nd half by a more talent laden line-up. Things are on the upswing here, how about Knoxville? Sad.

We did not renew our 4 season tickets this year. Utter frustration with CHW. Our money is better spent on fun things to do.

Reasons for the change?

#1 Rennia's early foul trouble and being taken out in the first half.

#2 Russell getting smacked in the mouth(no foul?) and then playing timid the rest of the game.

#3 No help at all from the bench players.

#4 Holly (clueless)

#5 Bad shots and turnovers.

#6 No Dunbar to shoot the ball in the second half when the freshmen were brain dead

Thank goodness for saying #2 because many people like to say she didn’t get touches but what I saw was a young lady not wanting the ball as much as she did after she got hit!

#3 I wish Hayes would’ve tried to score more (she only took 1 shot) and for the life of me I don’t get why green isn’t played more with Mercedes instead of being used to relieve her.

I’m also going to add lack of Senior leadership, the freshman were looking for help from Jaime and Mercedes and I saw a little hanging of the heads from them two as the game got close and ND eventually took the league!

At times I wish when Jaime is playing like she did last night she is placed on the bench to send a message but it doesn’t seem like that will ever happen. Holly got on them in her post game presser but that was a little to late imo!

And can we please create an offense that doesn’t just say force it into Mercedes, we have to move around and find other ways to get the ball into the basket, I think it is limiting the freshman because they are holding what they can do hostage to ensure Mercedes (and at time Jaime get theirs)

There were several times Evina, Annie, Davis and even MeMe drove past their defender and got deep in the paint only to try to lob it over the top to Mercedes or give her a wrap around pass when they could’ve tried to score and possibly get the and 1

Actually this is pretty impressive even for Holly. Usually her team is trying to come back from huge deficits, now she's showing us she can blow them as well...

Another day, another bad record for Holly. Throwing the players under the bus in not acceptable. Holly needs to take a leave of absence.

I can handle a loss, but this one has people riled up because it’s a reminder of last year’s team. It was painful to watch and I am scared we will start losing good players who want to play for a great coach. I’m afraid we may even lose some we already have. If my daughter was an elite player, I would rather her play for a Geno, Schaefer, than rhe nice but hapless Holly.

:crazy:

In women's bb only the to 3-4 teams matter. After that, true irrelevance. Lady Vols under CHW are deep into that category. :unsure:

Can anyone name the FF losing teams from last year? If you don't win the trophy, nobody cares what else you did (at the top level).

Reactions: 1 person
Only a blithering idiot would fire a coach that is 16-2. Losses sure do bring out the crazy ones. :crazy:

Let me ask you a question...

WHAT exactly have you seen from Holly Warlick that makes you think this program is on a national championship path?

OR... do we not strive to win NC's any longer? Hell, we haven't been relevant on the national stage in 10 years now.

This program USED TO judge success by Final Fours and NC's.

NOW???????? Hoping not to blow a 23 point lead against an injury riddle, overrated team????

Give me a break. THIS is the problem with the ENTIRE UT fan base of ALL sports.

There is no demand for excellence!!!! And it's been that way for a looooooong time now.

Reactions: 4 people
until Annie gets a outside shot going, defenses can sag. :(

Bingo ! And all Holly want her to do drive to the basket, Well news for Holly will not work all the time. Make her shoot the jump shot.

The reason for the loss? Go read the ESPN website. Women's Basketball - ESPN

Coaching is the reason!!

Auriemma wins by 18 points and blasts his team for playing the worst game he has seen in 32 years. He wants to give the fans back their money for watching. Tells the media they have to find the positives when they asked him what positives took from the game because he didn't see any positives.

Azura Stevens came off the bench and played like a star. Auriemma said he never saw any player give away as many layups as Stevens did. Stevens said they didn't play Connecticut basketball so the win felt like a loss.

Attitude. Attitude that starts with coaching

Coaching is why this team lost tonight. Not lack of coaching tonight, a lack of coaching that started long ago. Lack of discipline, lack of pride when the chips are on the line. Lack of any offense. For those of you waiting for things to improve, thinking we will learn from this, things will get better - - don't hold your breath.

For those of you who think 15-0 is great when playing a cupcake schedule think again. It was a cupcake schedule. Teams with good players playing without an offensive scheme but rather letting players do what they want and create a flow works against cupcake teams. These girls have played enough AAU ball to get through a game when they are the superior players and athletes. There is no or little stress.

And of course, there is the fact that the second-best coach in WCBB was on the other side of the floor last night.

Who is it that the Lady Vols would have to play to be able to come back from 22 down? Not because of the lack of talent, either.

Holly has had enough time to prove she is not going to restore this program to greatness. Who besides me wants to see Final Four again?

Early in the second qtr. I was reminded of an old saying..."when the going gets tough, the tough get going" I know, I know, it's corny, but true to the point.

Remember they are a young team and must learn some things the hard way. Getting tough is sometimes one of the hardest lessons. If you watch pro golf, you hear this saying expressed in many ways by young experienced players when they lose their first close one. Most announcers who have played any sport reference this saying many ways all the time.

Young team learning tough lessons... GO LADIES!!! BE TOUGH!!!

I can handle a loss, but this one has people riled up because it’s a reminder of last year’s team. It was painful to watch and I am scared we will start losing good players who want to play for a great coach. I’m afraid we may even lose some we already have. If my daughter was an elite player, I would rather her play for a Geno, Schaefer, than rhe nice but hapless Holly.

Ignorant post!!! Have you not been following the team the last two years?

Are you even following the team now? We had the #1 recruiting class last year, and have a top 5 recruiting class next year. Players still want to play for Holly, it’s the “fans” that secretly hope good players don’t want to play here.......”FANS”

Reactions: 6 people
Ignorant post!!! Have you not been following the team the last two years?

Are you even following the team now? We had the #1 recruiting class last year, and have a top 5 recruiting class next year. Players still want to play for Holly, it’s the “fans” that secretly hope good players don’t want to play here.......”FANS”
Or might it be the program they want to play for? I know, kids always want to play for a coach. But...... big stage (TBA) big crowds (for now) some of the best facilities and still a lot of national coverage (for now)

VN Store

Back